• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Time for USF to get serious about on-campus football stadium

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  274
  • Days Won:  2

I'll throw in my 2 cents.

Let me start by saying, I have 5 seasons tickets in not one of the high dollar donor sections at Ray Jay, however, I've had them for a while and will continue to have them even if we don't build an OCS.  With that being said, I hate everything about the experience at Ray Jay.  I hate walking up to stadium and seeing all the pictures of the Bucs, V. Jackson, L. David, J Winston, etc. all over the outside of the stadium and seeing one USF banner draped over the walkway.  I hate the stupid pirate ship in the N endzone.  I hate the Buc logos that are splashed all over the place.  At least now we get the endzones painted unlike before.  I'm not even going to mention the ridiculous red seats and how horrible that looks with 20k in the seats.  At least at Pitt and UM their colors sort of blend with the colors of the NFL team they share the stadium with so it doesn't look quite as ridiculous.  Oh, just for the record, I'm 51 and could care less about the comfy seatback chairs.  College football is different that the NFL and bleacher seats are more the norm than not because most people stand.

I'm not going to regurgitate all the benefits of an OCS, because other people in this thread have touched on all those benefits to having the stadium on campus and I agree with everything said.  I just don't see how most other teams, Division II, Division III, FCS, FBS, G5, P5 young and old can find ways to build an OCS and the Bulls still aren't even publicly discussing it.

College football is about passion and tradition.  Games at Ray Jay are antiseptic and sterile.  Yes, even when we're winning.  If I wanted the NFL atmosphere, I'd have Bucs tickets instead.  If money is an issue, I'd rather they add 20K seats to Corbett stadium and play the games there.  Anything but the CITS.

Sorry for the lengthy post but I had to get this off my chest.

Great post, and I couldn't agree more. It was great in the beginning, but at some point, you need your own house.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

Other than the seat back thing I agree. I'm 62 and my back still hurts from the UCF game. Probably wouldn't if they would let me carry a stadium seat in, but they don't.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

I'll throw in my 2 cents.

Let me start by saying, I have 5 seasons tickets in not one of the high dollar donor sections at Ray Jay, however, I've had them for a while and will continue to have them even if we don't build an OCS.  With that being said, I hate everything about the experience at Ray Jay.  I hate walking up to stadium and seeing all the pictures of the Bucs, V. Jackson, L. David, J Winston, etc. all over the outside of the stadium and seeing one USF banner draped over the walkway.  I hate the stupid pirate ship in the N endzone.  I hate the Buc logos that are splashed all over the place.  At least now we get the endzones painted unlike before.  I'm not even going to mention the ridiculous red seats and how horrible that looks with 20k in the seats.  At least at Pitt and UM their colors sort of blend with the colors of the NFL team they share the stadium with so it doesn't look quite as ridiculous.  Oh, just for the record, I'm 51 and could care less about the comfy seatback chairs.  College football is different that the NFL and bleacher seats are more the norm than not because most people stand.

I'm not going to regurgitate all the benefits of an OCS, because other people in this thread have touched on all those benefits to having the stadium on campus and I agree with everything said.  I just don't see how most other teams, Division II, Division III, FCS, FBS, G5, P5 young and old can find ways to build an OCS and the Bulls still aren't even publicly discussing it.

College football is about passion and tradition.  Games at Ray Jay are antiseptic and sterile.  Yes, even when we're winning.  If I wanted the NFL atmosphere, I'd have Bucs tickets instead.  If money is an issue, I'd rather they add 20K seats to Corbett stadium and play the games there.  Anything but the CITS.

Sorry for the lengthy post but I had to get this off my chest.

Triple B, MikeG, Bauskid, BeastieBull, Slick...bake it away toys.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  256
  • Days Won:  0

Here's a counter:

College students are already graduating with outrageous amounts of college debt. It's been long rumored this is going to be the next bubble to burst ala the subprime mortgages. Before you say "oh it will all be done with donor money" .. NAH.. We all know athletic fees can be quite a sum at all major schools, and if you are asking for USF to join those ranks, why would it be any different?

Not to mention, most athletic departments run at a deficit. Studies have shown that 80% of college ath departments actually lose 11 million or more each year. Again, why would USF, with it's paltry crowds and apathetic fan base be much different, especially adding however many millions an OCS would cost?

Personally, I think that playing at Ray J can be an asset in recruiting. 17 year olds see that they can come here and play on the same field as guys like Julio Jones, Cam Newton, and some scrubs on the Bucs- kids don't give a flying fart about tradition. Yeah a 2/3 full 30K OCS might look better than a 1/3 full Ray J, but we're probably splitting hairs at that point. 

I don't look at that aluminum monster in Orlando with envy. Bleacher seats are A$$. They're uncomfortable, and essentially a microwave in the Tampa heat. And there is ALWAYS someone sitting next to you that's either 400 pounds, is carrying some giant diaper bag, holding 8 beers and a large pizza, or all of the above. 

A lot of places have OCS's because they are the only thing around. I'm sure more colleges would leverage a pro stadium if they could, but in Gainesville you dont really have a choice.

The ideas right now for an OCS sound rushed, and I really have no desire to for USF to go into debt over a stadium there's really no huge demand for. They play in a world class facility and while they probably get bent over by the Glazers on the parking/concessions, in the foreseeable future it just doesn't make fiscal sense unless there is some T Boone Pickens type donor out there willing to build this thing on their dime. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  197

Can we re-visit the OCS on MOSI property as a done deal......Seems like a lot of chips have to fall USFs way to put their eggs in this basket. 

MOSI has to move downtown, USF has to buy/lease/or somehow acquire that property from the county. Then build a stadium.

While anybody would take this in a heartbeat, its not ideal, and all things being equal nobody would want the stadium separated from campus by a major road unless the benefits clearly outweighed the negatives. So what are these absolute positives, to justify the additional expense of purchasing the property and having the stadium across Fowler, rather then relocating the track and tennis courts and having the stadium in the heart of campus.

• Topic Count:  209
  • Content Count:  2,785
  • Days Won:  1

Can we re-visit the OCS on MOSI property as a done deal......Seems like a lot of chips have to fall USFs way to put their eggs in this basket. 

MOSI has to move downtown, USF has to buy/lease/or somehow acquire that property from the county. Then build a stadium.

While anybody would take this in a heartbeat, its not ideal, and all things being equal nobody would want the stadium separated from campus by a major road unless the benefits clearly outweighed the negatives. So what are these absolute positives, to justify the additional expense of purchasing the property and having the stadium across Fowler, rather then relocating the track and tennis courts and having the stadium in the heart of campus.

the state is giving them the land.

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

Other than the seat back thing I agree. I'm 62 and my back still hurts from the UCF game. Probably wouldn't if they would let me carry a stadium seat in, but they don't.

Good point.  By the time this thing gets built, I'll probably feel the same way. lol

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  197

the state is giving them the land.

Doesn't the county own MOSI and the property?

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

Doesn't the county own MOSI and the property?

http://www.tampabay.com/news/localgovernment/hillsborough-commissioners-quarrel-over-using-mosi-land-for-usf-football/2228587 

The county owns the land, but the MOSI is a not for profit.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,539
  • Days Won:  422

Triple B, MikeG, Bauskid, BeastieBull, Slick...bake it away toys.

Dude, you ever lump me in with Mookie again, I'll kill you ...