• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Time for USF to get serious about on-campus football stadium

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

Dude, you ever lump me in with Mookie again and I'll kill you ...

:lmao: hilarious 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,609
  • Days Won:  424

I'll throw in my 2 cents.

Let me start by saying, I have 5 seasons tickets in not one of the high dollar donor sections at Ray Jay, however, I've had them for a while and will continue to have them even if we don't build an OCS.  With that being said, I hate everything about the experience at Ray Jay.  I hate walking up to stadium and seeing all the pictures of the Bucs, V. Jackson, L. David, J Winston, etc. all over the outside of the stadium and seeing one USF banner draped over the walkway.  I hate the stupid pirate ship in the N endzone.  I hate the Buc logos that are splashed all over the place.  At least now we get the endzones painted unlike before.  I'm not even going to mention the ridiculous red seats and how horrible that looks with 20k in the seats.  At least at Pitt and UM their colors sort of blend with the colors of the NFL team they share the stadium with so it doesn't look quite as ridiculous.  Oh, just for the record, I'm 51 and could care less about the comfy seatback chairs.  College football is different that the NFL and bleacher seats are more the norm than not because most people stand.

I'm not going to regurgitate all the benefits of an OCS, because other people in this thread have touched on all those benefits to having the stadium on campus and I agree with everything said.  I just don't see how most other teams, Division II, Division III, FCS, FBS, G5, P5 young and old can find ways to build an OCS and the Bulls still aren't even publicly discussing it.

College football is about passion and tradition.  Games at Ray Jay are antiseptic and sterile.  Yes, even when we're winning.  If I wanted the NFL atmosphere, I'd have Bucs tickets instead.  If money is an issue, I'd rather they add 20K seats to Corbett stadium and play the games there.  Anything but the CITS.

Sorry for the lengthy post but I had to get this off my chest.

Honestly, I feel kind of bad for people that put that much into where/what you're sitting in, rather than who you're with and what you're watching, that they feel that strongly about it ... and totally disagree that RayJay is antiseptic and sterile .... especially when we're winning. Lastly, people that act like NFL game atmospheres are like mausoleums must not go to a lot of games.

Seriously, I really do appreciate, though, that you continue to go and support the Bulls under such horrendous conditions ....

Edited by Triple B
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,615
  • Days Won:  51

Honestly, I feel kind of bad for people that put that much into where/what you're sitting in, rather than who you're with and what you're watching, that they feel that strongly about it ... and totally disagree that RayJay is antiseptic and sterile .... especially when we're winning. Lastly, people that act like NFL game atmospheres are like mausoleums must not go to a lot of games.

Seriously, I really do appreciate, though, that you continue to go and support the Bulls under such horrendous conditions ....

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if they are wrong like you.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  256
  • Days Won:  0

Yeah if you have an anti-OCS attitude, this thread isn't for you. Apparently only pro 'crappy on campus stadium' ideas are welcome. Cuz it just feelz lika da cawledge footbawl!

Edited by cambodia36
  • Downvote 2

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Hahaha, Cambodia ... No one on here is anti-OCS, as some would have you believe.  

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,609
  • Days Won:  424

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if they are wrong like you.

Murica's great, aint it ...

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

Trip I appreciate the sympathy but none needed.  I guess you're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine.  If you don't understand that the venue and the atmosphere has as much to do with the experience as does what you're watching then I guess I'll throw a little sympathy back at ya. I love watching my Bulls play and cheer them on and get pissed when they suck (see the last 4 years).  We have a great tailgate with family and friends but the whole Ray Jay experience for me blows.  I've been to a lot of college football games  at other OCS  and Ray Jay doesn't even compare. And yes an NFL game to me is more like a corporate event than a sporting event.   Like I said, I will continue to support them no matter where they play and no matter how horrendous the venue is.

Thanks for your concern though,

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,425
  • Days Won:  19

Here's a counter:

College students are already graduating with outrageous amounts of college debt. It's been long rumored this is going to be the next bubble to burst ala the subprime mortgages. Before you say "oh it will all be done with donor money" .. NAH.. We all know athletic fees can be quite a sum at all major schools, and if you are asking for USF to join those ranks, why would it be any different?

Not to mention, most athletic departments run at a deficit. Studies have shown that 80% of college ath departments actually lose 11 million or more each year. Again, why would USF, with it's paltry crowds and apathetic fan base be much different, especially adding however many millions an OCS would cost?

Personally, I think that playing at Ray J can be an asset in recruiting. 17 year olds see that they can come here and play on the same field as guys like Julio Jones, Cam Newton, and some scrubs on the Bucs- kids don't give a flying fart about tradition. Yeah a 2/3 full 30K OCS might look better than a 1/3 full Ray J, but we're probably splitting hairs at that point. 

I don't look at that aluminum monster in Orlando with envy. Bleacher seats are A$$. They're uncomfortable, and essentially a microwave in the Tampa heat. And there is ALWAYS someone sitting next to you that's either 400 pounds, is carrying some giant diaper bag, holding 8 beers and a large pizza, or all of the above. 

A lot of places have OCS's because they are the only thing around. I'm sure more colleges would leverage a pro stadium if they could, but in Gainesville you dont really have a choice.

The ideas right now for an OCS sound rushed, and I really have no desire to for USF to go into debt over a stadium there's really no huge demand for. They play in a world class facility and while they probably get bent over by the Glazers on the parking/concessions, in the foreseeable future it just doesn't make fiscal sense unless there is some T Boone Pickens type donor out there willing to build this thing on their dime. 

That is true...

However, football is the revenue producing sport (especially for USF). If anything, it should be first priority for an OCS.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  266
  • Days Won:  1

The debt will be a burden in the short-term. However, to gain traction for an invite to a larger conference, the stadium will be a factor, subsequently, more revenue will be generated in the long-term (via' the conference upgrade). 

One can't help but ponder the fact that UCF just hired (allegedly, per the reports this a.m.) a coach that won a Natl. Championship in the Big 12, He may be able to add some influence as it relates to expansion. Consider our situation compared to UCF's. 

Edited by ahoyboy

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

The debt will be a burden in the short-term. However, to gain traction for an invite to a larger conference, the stadium will be a factor, subsequently, more revenue will be generated in the long-term (via' the conference upgrade). 

This has been said SOOOO many times, and one more time just isn't going to make it true.  There is absolutely no precedent that an OCS leads to a conference upgrade.  Your entire point is based on a wild assumption.