• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Time for USF to get serious about on-campus football stadium

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  266
  • Days Won:  1

Pretty sure USF has a MBB coach that won a Nat'l Championship.  Should we start expanding the Sun Dome to accommodate the larger crowds?

That retort doesn't relate to what I am talking about. The Sun Dome is already on campus and I didn't make a reference to expanding the Buccaneers football stadium. 

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,462
  • Days Won:  25

As a South Tampa resident with season tickets I would probably go to a game or 2 at an OCS but I wouldn't likely keep my season tickets. Also just to add another argument, there are more businesses in South Tampa, many of which have season tickets, that may not be as likely to keep their tickets if the games were played near USF. Also would an OCS have the ability to sell more expensive tickets such as club/box seats? I have a 1 year old and I wouldn't buy season tickets now if there wasn't an option for club access due to the option for AC. College games can also bring a drunk/rowdy crowd that I wouldn't be comfortable bringing a young child/baby to in the general section.

As a BULLS fan I don't care where the stadium is. As far as businesses in South Tampa dropping season tickets just because there's an on campus stadium, you would have to provide some sort of documentation as to whether or not that would happen. I'm sure that there are plenty of businesses in North Tampa to offset that. If it really mattered. Yes, there would be more expensive seats and some sort of club section. Although you've already stated that you wouldn't buy season tickets if the BULLS were to build.

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

I think Leroy Selmon was integral into USF moving into the Big East before other schools. I'm not saying the UCF coach would be the difference maker or that he is at Leroy Selmon's level, but I think it may help. 

Athletic Director is a completely different category than an assistant coach.  I know you stated  it on your post above... but still... A 3 year asst coach will have no influence.

Edited by Dogma

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,425
  • Days Won:  19

Schools listed below with off campus stadiums.  Those highlighted in BLUE are exploring or already announced an OCS

SchoolCampus LocationStateHome Games Played AtDistance (mi)
MassachusettsAmherstMAOff-Campus Stadium (Foxborough, MA)68
ConnecticutStorrsCTOff-Campus Stadium (East Hartford, CT)19
Miami (FL)Coral GablesFLOff-Campus Stadium (Miami, FL)17
UCLALos AngelesCAOff-Campus Stadium (Pasadena, CA)17
Texas-San AntonioSan AntonioTXOff-Campus Stadium (San Antonio, TX)15
HawaiiHonoluluHIOff-Campus Stadium (Honolulu, HI)9
South FloridaTampaFLOff-Campus Stadium (Tampa, FL)8
UNLVParadiseNVOff-Campus Stadium (Las Vegas, NV)7
South AlabamaMobileALOff-Campus Stadium (Mobile, AL)6
TemplePhiladelphiaPAOff-Campus Stadium (Philadelphia, PA)5
Washington ¹SeattleWAOff-Campus Stadium (Seattle, WA)4
Colorado StateFort CollinsCOOff-Campus Stadium (Fort Collins, CO)3

The distance measurements are straight paths... not actual road travel.

USF is over 11 miles away from RJS.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

I think the stadium will be a factor. There may not be a precedent, but it still may be a factor. 

Do you think it was a factor for Pitt when they got the call up to the ACC from the Big East?  

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,117
  • Days Won:  6

As a South Tampa resident with season tickets I would probably go to a game or 2 at an OCS but I wouldn't likely keep my season tickets. Also just to add another argument, there are more businesses in South Tampa, many of which have season tickets, that may not be as likely to keep their tickets if the games were played near USF. Also would an OCS have the ability to sell more expensive tickets such as club/box seats? I have a 1 year old and I wouldn't buy season tickets now if there wasn't an option for club access due to the option for AC. College games can also bring a drunk/rowdy crowd that I wouldn't be comfortable bringing a young child/baby to in the general section.

USF's campus is where it is.  Moving from Ray Jay would inconvenience some and benefit others - like the Wesley Chapel, New Tampa, Temple Terrace and Brandon folks.  I would guess there a quite a few USF grads in those growing areas.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,117
  • Days Won:  6

Do you think it was a factor for Pitt when they got the call up to the ACC from the Big East?  

Nope, what benefited Pitt was that they were backstabbing scumbags.  

• Upvote 1

I think Leroy Selmon was integral into USF moving into the Big East before other schools. I'm not saying the UCF coach would be the difference maker or that he is at Leroy Selmon's level, but I think it may help. 

I can't disprove your opinion, but I can say with pretty good certainty that when you factor in all of the other criteria for conference realignment, staff personnel would probably be somewhere in the 0.000000001% ballpark of the decision, maybe even less.

Edit:  Also, bringing up Lee Roy Selmon when you were talking about the UCF coach is JUST a little bit of moving the goalposts in the discussion.  

Edited by GaUSFBull

Nope, what benefited Pitt was that they were backstabbing scumbags.  

No doubt about that; I agree 110%.  Beside the point though.  I just don't see how people think an OCS has anything to do with who gets called up to the big leagues.  

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

Pure speculation on your part not founded by any fact. Unless you can provide a ... link?

Edit: Businesses are not like "regular" season ticket holders.  Many use them as incentives, or in house bonuses. These the employees/owners do not necessarily live in S Tampa.  They may well live, for example, in New Tampa, and find it easier to now travel to the campus.  Or for larger businesses, have employees that live all over Tampa Bay.

In other words.. there is absolutely no facts to back up your statement.

Edited by Dogma