• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Time for USF to get serious about on-campus football stadium

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,617
  • Days Won:  51

Del Conte told his story at a meeting of Big 12 conference officials as they celebrated the 32 years that DeLoss Dodds was Texas’ athletic director.

It was not TCU’s back-to-back BCS games that got TCU into “the big time,” not their new stadium, not their location in the Metroplex, or not any other attribute that had to do with athletic success. Instead, Dodds and ‘Del’ shared stories of personal struggle.

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/2014/02/del-conte-tells-story-of-how-tcu-joined-big-12.html/

TCU had already started their new stadium before any talk of the Big12.  When they announced it in 2010 they were doing it in part to look better to any of the AQ conferences. 

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Look, I can see that we don't agree and I have been respectful of your views during this discussion.  There is no point in going back and forth since we will not see each others point.

I'm fine calling off any further discussion with you as well.  I'm not out to change people's minds, only to have free discussion, and I do see your point, I just disagree with it.  It's that simple.  I've been respectful as well and careful not to make this personal.  Good day to you.  

TCU had already started their new stadium before any talk of the Big12.  When they announced it in 2010 they were doing it in part to look better to any of the AQ conferences. 

Do you have a supporting link?  Even if that was their intention, per the link Trip provided, it appears to have not made a difference whatsoever.  

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,124
  • Days Won:  6

Del Conte told his story at a meeting of Big 12 conference officials as they celebrated the 32 years that DeLoss Dodds was Texas’ athletic director.

It was not TCU’s back-to-back BCS games that got TCU into “the big time,” not their new stadium, not their location in the Metroplex, or not any other attribute that had to do with athletic success. Instead, Dodds and ‘Del’ shared stories of personal struggle.

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/2014/02/del-conte-tells-story-of-how-tcu-joined-big-12.html/

Too bad Rice's AD didn't beat Del Conte to the punch to have drinks with Dodds.  He must be kicking himself.  :facepalm:

Edited by mark_my_words

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,617
  • Days Won:  51

Do you have a supporting link?  Even if that was their intention, per the link Trip provided, it appears to have not made a difference whatsoever.  

realignment was no longer about what made sense. It was about ego and rivalries and ego and revenue and ego and divisions and ego and ego and ego.

It was one thing they couldn’t control.

“When I was hired, they asked two questions,” Del Conte said. “Can you help us build a stadium and can you get us in a BCS conference?”

The question wasn’t whether someone would get left out as the tectonic plates stopped shifting. It was who and how many. For athletic directors this was like skidding into a potential car wreck, except the feeling didn’t subside for weeks.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I said "besides UCF fans," because I don't feel they are representative of the rest of college football.  You apparently do, and them saying it is enough for you.  

You realize if they add us, that takes away from their conference revenue, right?  Do you really think the addition of a championship game will make up for that lost revenue?  This is exactly the reason they haven't added anyone else yet, because they don't feel that they have to.  If they get shut out of the playoffs again, they may be forced to rethink that.

The ACC will not be adding us.  Let's just get that out right now.  The B12 is pretty much our only hope, and they will only add us if they think we're the best available option to make them $ over the long haul, and because they think a CCG winner will be automatically in the playoffs.  It won't because we will, or won't, have a pretty new stadium on campus.  

That's not entirely true.  I've read somewhere that the TV contracts adjust based on conference membership.  How much that is, I don't know.

I've read somewhere that the TV contracts adjust based on conference membership.  

Is that an automatic thing, or is that a hope of the parties involved in the contract?  

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,430
  • Days Won:  19

USF needs to build a stadium.

We need to model ourselves after ideal programs...

No more shortcuts - hasn't worked for us before 

“When I was hired, they asked two questions,” Del Conte said. “Can you help us build a stadium and can you get us in a BCS conference?”

Reading that in the context you put it in (that sounds like it came from a link), it appears that's the TCU administration asking that, not any power brokers/networks involved in realignment.  

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,704
  • Days Won:  424

realignment was no longer about what made sense. It was about ego and rivalries and ego and revenue and ego and divisions and ego and ego and ego.

It was one thing they couldn’t control.

The question wasn’t whether someone would get left out as the tectonic plates stopped shifting. It was who and how many. For athletic directors this was like skidding into a potential car wreck, except the feeling didn’t subside for weeks.

Not sure your point of posting that. They didn't say “Can you help us build a stadium so we can get into a BCS conference?”