• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Time for USF to get serious about on-campus football stadium

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

Do you think it was a factor for Pitt when they got the call up to the ACC from the Big East?  

Pitt has tradition... We have to show that we are serious about continuing to invest in Football. We have to paint a picture that we will have tradition in the future. OCS is a step in that direction...

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,462
  • Days Won:  25

No doubt about that; I agree 110%.  Beside the point though.  I just don't see how people think an OCS has anything to do with who gets called up to the big leagues.  

Do you think football has anything to do with USF getting a call?

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Pitt has tradition... We have to show that we are serious about continuing to invest in Football. We have to paint a picture that we will have tradition in the future. OCS is a step in that direction...

Still not one of the main factors in realignment, considering the "traditional" rivalry games that have been a casualty of this whole thing.  

Do you think football has anything to do with USF getting a call?

I think it has everything to do with it.  Is there more to your question? 

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  266
  • Days Won:  1

Do you think it was a factor for Pitt when they got the call up to the ACC from the Big East?  

I don't think the comparison matches up. I certainly am not trying to imply that I am completely correct. I think that in USF's case, eventually having an OCS could be a key fit for USF. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,615
  • Days Won:  51

No, it was probably their 9 national football championships and the fact they have been playing football since 1890.  For a new team like us, an OCS would be a big selling point to a P5 conference.  Mandatory?  Probably not, but certainly Baylor and TCU thought it was important enough. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,462
  • Days Won:  25

I think it has everything to do with it.  Is there more to your question? 

But you don't believe an OCS would enhance the football experience by drawing more attention to the actual campus, instead of a pirate ship 30 minutes down the road.

Certainly Baylor and TCU thought it was important enough. 

TCU was added as a desperation move by the B12 after showing some football success, consistent attendance and long-standing fanbase after Nebraska and TAMU left, and Baylor was already in.  I disagree that OCS had anything to do with anything for those two teams.  

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  109
  • Days Won:  0

Pure speculation on your part not founded by any fact. Unless you can provide a ... link?

This entire thread is speculation. By the way I'm not against an OCS if it makes sense even though it would not benefit me personally. The logic behind my theory though is that many of the season tickets held by businesses are large businesses located in South Tampa/St Pete. South Tampa and St Pete are the locations of a large percentage of large businesses/corporations in the Tampa area. Also I would guess that many of those tickets are club and box seats (still speculation but from my personal experience that is what I have noticed). Would our OCS have enough funds to provide a large club section like RayJay has now? There is a reason many college stadiums are aluminum like UCF's - because they don't fill enough expensive seats year round to afford nice ammenities and USF doesn't have enough booster support to offset that. My guess is that the location shift and amenities that may no longer exist could very possibly affect the decisions of businesses to renew/buy season tickets. But again, like the rest of this thread, this is purely speculation.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

But you don't believe an OCS would enhance the football experience by drawing more attention to the actual campus, instead of a pirate ship 30 minutes down the road.

I don't believe an OCS makes us any more attractive to P5 conferences, and I definitely don't believe that an OCS guarantees the kind of attendance bump that will boost the market share USF needs to make getting the call up to a P5 a reality.

Of course an OCS would enhance the football experience.  I've been to countless college football games played on campuses and it is a great thing.  I would never argue against the notion that an OCS would enhance the experience for USF.  But that's neither here nor there with where I got into this discussion.  I got into this because someone said an OCS will help us get into a P5, and I do not believe that, on its own, that is the case.