• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Time for USF to get serious about on-campus football stadium

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,117
  • Days Won:  6

I just don't see how people think an OCS has anything to do with who gets called up to the big leagues.  

If we are trying to get into league X (ACC, Big 12) we will undoubtedly have competition and detractors.  

We all know it is ******** but we will hear "direction school", "commuter school" for sure.  We can do little about those labels but one that we will hear is "they have no tradition and they don't even have a stadium".  That is something we can do something about.  

Yes, Pitt plays in a pro stadium but everyone knows they have tons of tradition.  Heisman trophy winners, national championships, extremely well respected academically.  They are a no brainer for the ACC.  

The league commissioner for X is going to have a hard time selling anyone in the AAC to the schools in his league and I think we should remove as many arrows from their quill as possible. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

We all know it is ******** but we will hear "direction school", "commuter school" for sure.  We can do little about those labels but one that we will hear is "they have no tradition and they don't even have a stadium".  

I would love to know who is saying this, besides UCF fans.  

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,117
  • Days Won:  6

I would love to know who is saying this, besides UCF fans.  

You made my point exactly.  UCF fans say it because they enjoy putting us down.  This will be a beauty contest.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,615
  • Days Won:  51

TCU was added as a desperation move by the B12 after showing some football success, consistent attendance and long-standing fanbase after Nebraska and TAMU left, and Baylor was already in.  I disagree that OCS had anything to do with anything for those two teams.  

TCU was in the MWC and desperately trying to get into a BCS conference.  In 2010 they announced a $165 million renovation of Amon Carter stadium.  One of the goals of the renovation according to their newly appointed AD, Chris del Conte was to "show potential BCS conferences that TCU was serious about football".

As for Baylor, they played at Baylor Stadium which was several miles off campus.  They built the smaller, McLane stadium on campus and it opened last season. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  1,828
  • Days Won:  12

But you don't believe an OCS would enhance the football experience by drawing more attention to the actual campus, instead of a pirate ship 30 minutes down the road.

No way, red seats and a pirate ship scream USF football.  It is especially nice for when East Caroline comes to town, or, when there is a Bucs game the next day and you can see their logos on the field.  Plays real nice on TV.  

Edited by ArmyBull
  • Upvote 1

You made my point exactly.  UCF fans say it because they enjoy putting us down.  This will be a beauty contest.

:roflmao:

So because UCF fans are saying "USF doesn't even have a stadium," THAT'S why we should build one?

If that is really your point ... I'm sorry, no offense, but that is WEAK sauce.  

A beauty contest of this nature is about FAR more than just how good we look in a bikini.  It's, in large part, about how we can make the P5 conference we join $$$$.  

Until someone shows me hard proof that an OCS will guarantee attendance and market share we need to get into a P5, I'm not on board with building one just to have for "potentially" getting out of the AAC.   I definitely want one for USF, but I want it to be good, and I want it to be done the right way without mortgaging the future.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,803
  • Days Won:  0

Bottom line is we have to have a consistent fan base in good and seasons and out of good seasons. So does a on campus stadium build that brand I say it is likely yes.  With a 12000 seat student section there is no reason if you live on campus for you not the to make the game. Everything now is not predicated just on winning the fan experience.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,462
  • Days Won:  25

I don't believe an OCS makes us any more attractive to P5 conferences, and I definitely don't believe that an OCS guarantees the kind of attendance bump that will boost the market share USF needs to make getting the call up to a P5 a reality.

Of course an OCS would enhance the football experience.  I've been to countless college football games played on campuses and it is a great thing.  I would never argue against the notion that an OCS would enhance the experience for USF.  But that's neither here nor there with where I got into this discussion.  I got into this because someone said an OCS will help us get into a P5, and I do not believe that, on its own, that is the case.  

So, if you think that football is the main factor, and an OCS would enhance the football experience, why wouldn't an OCS help get us an invite? 

So, if you think that football is the main factor, and an OCS would enhance the football experience, why wouldn't an OCS help get us an invite? 

I don't think football experience is driving realignment.  Football is the main factor, but it also has to do with eyeballs on TV + butts in seats at the stadiums.  

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,609
  • Days Won:  424

Because a P5 doesn't give a crap about our fans' football experience, all they care about is $ ....?