• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF better get Willie to sign an extension.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Whatever helps you sleep better at night Bull94.

whatever excuse allows you to continue thinking what an awful coach Taggart is Titanic. Some people just want their narrative to fit so bad .

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,254
  • Days Won:  1

I think a 3 year extension would be ok based on this season

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  822
  • Days Won:  0

whatever excuse allows you to continue thinking what an awful coach Taggart is Titanic. Some people just want their narrative to fit so bad .

I don't think he is saying Taggart is an awful coach. He is preaching caution and would prefer to wait to see how we do in the beginning of next year. I don't think that's an unreasonable stance to take at all. 

Personally, I would prefer we sign at least a 1 year extension this off season pending UCF game.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

willie-taggert-hulk-hogan-usf-bulls-prom

I kinda like these pics now...

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

I don't think he is saying Taggart is an awful coach. He is preaching caution and would prefer to wait to see how we do in the beginning of next year. I don't think that's an unreasonable stance to take at all. 

Personally, I would prefer we sign at least a 1 year extension this off season pending UCF game.

He has been on here previously saying that Taggart is an awful coach. A lot of times people have a hard time admitting when they are wrong so they come up with explanations why they still aren't proven wrong. It's a natural human behavior. Cognitive Dissonance. His belief that someone else must be calling the plays allows his original belief that Taggart is a terrible coach to still be possible.

I admit I have no inside knowledge like so many anonymous posters on a message board seem to have but the fact that it was stated in print more than once that Taggart would be calling the plays even after Hope was hired would seem to be the case until proven otherwise by a reliable source that isn't hearsay. here is a  link and also a link to Sean Price after the Cincy game where he gives Coach T credit for calling the play that resulted in one of his TDs just this week.

Quarterbacks coach David Reaves has been promoted to the other co-coordinator role. While Reaves will oversee the Bulls passing game and Hope will coordinate the run game, Taggart will "resume all play-calling duties" next season, a USF news release said.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/danny-hope-aboard-as-new-usf-staff-takes-shape/2210879

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

So, you posted an article from 2014 prior to our 1-3 start where we looked like absolute dog**** and the bus was hanging from the cliff by one wheel. Come on now... what in the world would make you think Coach Taggart has been calling the plays since the Memphis loss? The offense has been completely revamped since he gave up control over it. You can't just turn greatness on and off Sherlock. I gave Taggart credit where credit is due - he was intelligent enough to give up his play calling duties with the offense when he proved too inept to make something with the talent he had on the field - heck, he had two seasons and four games where the results were smacking him in the face screaming "FAIL!". Furthermore, his in-game management left a lot to be desired. 

Coach Taggart shifted responsibility and it saved his job - simple as that. Coach Taggart is one heck've a salesman (and that's a great thing when utilized correctly) - similar to Seth Greenberg (someone else I really like). However, the game day decision making from both coaches has left a lot to be desired. I don't care who the head coach is - I just want to win. I'm not foolish enough to think things just clicked for him between the Memphis and Syracuse games and he's been calling a totally different brand of football ever since. That's foolish. And when I have two individuals affiliated with the program indicating play calling responsibilities shifted at halftime of the Syracuse game, I take their word on it (one is a player's father - the other is the former player's rep). 

So diagnose away Bulls94. If I'm wrong on something, I'll own it. 

There's a lot of coaching experience in those offices right now - and at least one coach knows what it feels like to stare at the grim reaper when his job is on the line. I wouldn't be surprised if Hope gave Coach Taggart a "Coming to Jesus" moment after the Memphis game and Taggart saw the writing on the wall after we stumbled out of the gates against Syracuse. Things were pretty bad in Tampa going into that game... there was no getting around it. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

It took a little patience by USF but now its paying off. Taggart looked overwhelmed and clueless for the past few years. We looked horrible with absolutely no leadership.  Who cares how/what/when things changed but here we are and we look like a new football team now. We play with energy...We have swagger...We have speed....We are physical...We have great skilled position players..Future is looking bright for the Toros!  Beat UCiF!

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2

My how things changers

6 weeks makes a BIG difference. 

6 weeks and a quarter of the FBS needing a new coach will make that happen. I'm not convinced Tag will leave this program at all, in all honesty; I'm a little afraid about The Shark Master though. 

Edited by ionV

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  256

So, you posted an article from 2014 prior to our 1-3 start where we looked like absolute dog**** and the bus was hanging from the cliff by one wheel. Come on now... what in the world would make you think Coach Taggart has been calling the plays since the Memphis loss? The offense has been completely revamped since he gave up control over it. You can't just turn greatness on and off Sherlock. I gave Taggart credit where credit is due - he was intelligent enough to give up his play calling duties with the offense when he proved too inept to make something with the talent he had on the field - heck, he had two seasons and four games where the results were smacking him in the face screaming "FAIL!". Furthermore, his in-game management left a lot to be desired. 

Coach Taggart shifted responsibility and it saved his job - simple as that. Coach Taggart is one heck've a salesman (and that's a great thing when utilized correctly) - similar to Seth Greenberg (someone else I really like). However, the game day decision making from both coaches has left a lot to be desired. I don't care who the head coach is - I just want to win. I'm not foolish enough to think things just clicked for him between the Memphis and Syracuse games and he's been calling a totally different brand of football ever since. That's foolish. And when I have two individuals affiliated with the program indicating play calling responsibilities shifted at halftime of the Syracuse game, I take their word on it (one is a player's father - the other is the former player's rep). 

So diagnose away Bulls94. If I'm wrong on something, I'll own it. 

There's a lot of coaching experience in those offices right now - and at least one coach knows what it feels like to stare at the grim reaper when his job is on the line. I wouldn't be surprised if Hope gave Coach Taggart a "Coming to Jesus" moment after the Memphis game and Taggart saw the writing on the wall after we stumbled out of the gates against Syracuse. Things were pretty bad in Tampa going into that game... there was no getting around it. 

Thank you. 

To think that Taggart suddenly "got it" or that his master plan finally took shape is a bit preposterous. My biggest complaint about Taggart was that I did not think his system was working (correct) and that I figured he was too stubborn or too stupid to admit this to himself or the world and change (incorrect) I'm glad he's finally shifted course and (likely) let his assistants have more input on offense. That's smart on his part. I still don't think he's a great coach, but I didn't really think Leavitt was either. If you can recruit well, develop that talent, and designate responsibility among yourself and the asst coaches, that is smart and can be successful. I have seen lots of coaches do this and enjoy considerable success. Only absolute geniuses at head coach can have a heavy hand in every aspect of the program, like a Belichek or (college) Chip Kelly. He didn't wake up after the Memphis game and say "Okay I think NOW I will start to try scoring" his smash mouth, grind it out offense wasn't working, and it will never work at any high level unless you are a school up north where 6'8 330 lb linemen grow on trees in your area. 

And again, this was smart of him to realize, and I applaud him for it. It was also smart in that it saved his job. He could have gone to his grave trying to win "his way" and several other coaches in this world have, instead of being humble/smart enough to recognize their way won't work. If you coach at USF, you are likely going to have better, faster athletes than your opponent in conference most days, and to play a more "old school" style of play just negates this advantage. 

For this, yeah maybe you tack on a year, or 2, to his contract if he finishes the year strong, if the price is still right. My only concern long term would be if his assistants get poached by bigger schools, and we're back to Willie deciding he's the best guy for the job calling O, and just makes some bargain basement hire to replace those assistants with cheap "yes men". That's on the AD too to retain those guys, and try to keep them here instead of letting them walk. Part of me believes that's why Leavitt's program plateaued, other schools would constantly come in and pick up these underpaid assistants, and they never were able to replace them adequately with the limited budget on assistants. 

Edited by cambodia36
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,561
  • Days Won:  423

Wow, it is absolutely amazing the depth the CWT haters.... and yeah, that word fits perfectly the previous post and the one it Quoted .... will go to to not give the man any credit .... save to say he was smart to know how inept he was.

And whoever is in charge of keeping things under wraps about what's REALLY going on on Fowler Ave needs a raise in light of the job he/she is doing in keeping things from the media and the players themselves ...

Edited by Triple B
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1