• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF better get Willie to sign an extension.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

I can see him going to Miami in a heartbeat.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,539
  • Days Won:  423

. Thanks HBRYAN for keeping a level mind on the roller coaster running between Fletcher and Fowler. 

That is freaking hilarious ....

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

Has anyone given any thought to the situation in Memphis and how it may or may not relate to USF?  Memphis went on a nice little run so they are offering the keys to the kingdom to Fuente. Now he has lost 3 in a row and they looked like doo-doo today.  I doubt they rescind the offer but is that offer looking as smart now as it did 4 games ago?  Likewise, we're on a nice run but do you open up the purse strings, AT THIS TIME, to keep Willie?  I still think we wait until next year and, if half way through the season we are looking the same as we have the last 2 weeks, then you sit down and talk extension.  

Hmm, prudent behaviour and common sense have no place on The Bulls Pen, you should know that by now Ricky. Unfortunately, the bulk of green gobblers (TB and his crew of ignorami) on this site aren't the ones who get calls from the athletic dept. to up their donation, purchase more seats, provide corporate sponsorship, and sponsor scholarships, hell most don't have season tickets or even attend games.   If Taggart has turned the corner (I truly hope he has) and can be successful here, I'll be behind him 100% along with most other donors.  Like you, I believe it's too early to give him a raise and extend him, heck he had one foot out the door just one month ago.   

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Hmm, prudent behaviour and common sense have no place on The Bulls Pen, you should know that by now Ricky. Unfortunately, the bulk of green gobblers (TB and his crew of ignorami) on this site aren't the ones who get calls from the athletic dept. to up their donation, purchase more seats, provide corporate sponsorship, and sponsor scholarships, hell most don't have season tickets or even attend games.   If Taggart has turned the corner (I truly hope he has) and can be successful here, I'll be behind him 100% along with most other donors.  Like you, I believe it's too early to give him a raise and extend him, heck he had one foot out the door just one month ago.   

Stop this nonsense.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  91
  • Days Won:  1

No extension.  They've been a very expensive mistake for USF in the recent past.  Got to learn by those mistakes.  I was against firing CWT too early and I am against giving an extension too early.  Have some patience.  If he really wants to be here, he'll be willing to accept an extension at the end of 2016 season.  If not, then move on.  Let him work on that 13-22 record.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Extensions come in many shapes and sizes. I would oppose a 5 year extension with a significant raise. I would be ok with a year extension with no raise for purposes of keeping things going in recruiting along with more money in the assistant pool. My thoughts on something in between depends on what actually is being proposed.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

It would be dumb not to give him some kind of extension.

Not sure why some of you think we are calling for a Charlie weis type extension after almost beating USC

Nobody says lock him up for 10 years but you can't let a coach go into his last 2 years especially where recruiting is concerned.

Give him 1 or 2 more years with a reasonable raise for him and his assistants. Give them bigger incentives for hitting benchmarks. You don't have to break the bank.

It's not about keeping him from taking a bigger P5 job. We will never be able to do that and I doubt they will be looking at him this year (next year though with all the talent we have returning will be a different story)anyway. It's about showing recruits that he will be here and keeping a coach that seems to be turning this program around happy enough not to leave for a lower level P5 job.

If a colorado, kansas, iowa state, etc offered him $2M per year plus a good raise for his assistants then he would be hard pressed not to seriously consider it. Especially if it was a standard 5 year deal where he only has 2 years left here. his original contract calls for $400k a year buyout with the stipulation that any future coaching job's pay is subtracted from that amount.

Just because we signed Holtz to a terrible extension does not mean that we should shy away from giving one to a coach who is clearly turning this program around. it doesn't mean we have to be dumb about it but a reasonable extension is warranted just as a reasonable contract in the first place was what he got.

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Id like to see proof that he is not calling plays anymore. and not hearsay from someone that said that his grilfried knows Taggart's cousins wife and she said......

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

It would be dumb not to give him some kind of extension.

Not sure why some of you think we are calling for a Charlie weis type extension after almost beating USC

Nobody says lock him up for 10 years but you can't let a coach go into his last 2 years especially where recruiting is concerned.

Give him 1 or 2 more years with a reasonable raise for him and his assistants. Give them bigger incentives for hitting benchmarks. You don't have to break the bank.

It's not about keeping him from taking a bigger P5 job. We will never be able to do that and I doubt they will be looking at him this year (next year though with all the talent we have returning will be a different story)anyway. It's about showing recruits that he will be here and keeping a coach that seems to be turning this program around happy enough not to leave for a lower level P5 job.

If a colorado, kansas, iowa state, etc offered him $2M per year plus a good raise for his assistants then he would be hard pressed not to seriously consider it. Especially if it was a standard 5 year deal where he only has 2 years left here. his original contract calls for $400k a year buyout with the stipulation that any future coaching job's pay is subtracted from that amount.

Just because we signed Holtz to a terrible extension does not mean that we should shy away from giving one to a coach who is clearly turning this program around. it doesn't mean we have to be dumb about it but a reasonable extension is warranted just as a reasonable contract in the first place was what he got.

+1

I think a 1 - 2 year extension with a modest raise (with an increase in the assistants pool) is warranted.  And for recruiting purposes, I might do it sooner than later.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,039
  • Days Won:  11

+1

I think a 1 - 2 year extension with a modest raise (with an increase in the assistants pool) is warranted.  And for recruiting purposes, I might do it sooner than later.

sounds reasonable, so it won't fly here :D

I thought I read he's getting an extra 25K for making a bowl. Also, I could be wrong but didn't his contract call for any bonuses made in the prior year to be added to the next year salary?