• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF better get Willie to sign an extension.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,039
  • Days Won:  11

okay, I just looked and his bonus will be added to his salary next year

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20121208/article/121209628

The highest incentive reached, in addition to being paid, will be added to the total of the following year's contract. For example, if USF wins the Big East and plays in a BCS Bowl game, Taggart not only receives the $200,000 bonus, but his salary the following year will increase by $200,000, to $1.35 million.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

Just my thoughts, but I'm on the wait-n-see bus. Yes, he has earned respect from the doubters of last month, me included. I do think there needs to be a substantial increase in the asst. pool. I still think that a conversation needs to take place on the expectations of the future and lay some groundwork for said extension, just not right now.

He was hired to do a job, and he agreed to his contract to do that job. Has he out-performed that contract? ONLY in the last few weeks. He's earned his bonus for this year.

I think that IF USF were to offer an extension, it would have to have a serious buy-out clause. Something like matching his remaining contract plus two years.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Just my thoughts, but I'm on the wait-n-see bus. Yes, he has earned respect from the doubters of last month, me included. I do think there needs to be a substantial increase in the asst. pool. I still think that a conversation needs to take place on the expectations of the future and lay some groundwork for said extension, just not right now.

He was hired to do a job, and he agreed to his contract to do that job. Has he out-performed that contract? ONLY in the last few weeks. He's earned his bonus for this year.

I think that IF USF were to offer an extension, it would have to have a serious buy-out clause. Something like matching his remaining contract plus two years.

no coach would be dumb enough to sign a ridiculous buyout without giving them a ridiculous sum per year.

His assistants are being paid as much as Holtz assistants while he is making almost $1M per year less than Holtz did.

I'm still not sure why so many give the assistants all the credit while not seeming to think Taggart had anything to do with this.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Id like to see proof that he is not calling plays anymore. and not hearsay from someone that said that his grilfried knows Taggart's cousins wife and she said......

We had a recent online discussion among former players from season one through the last graduating season - many of us thought it would behoove the administration not to jump on an extension this season until we saw some consistency next year as well (not the entire year per se - but a solid start like the great finish we're experiencing). There were former players calling for Coach's head prior to the season starting and a couple games into it (with just as many wanting to see how this season played out). I was definitely one of them in the can him camp - not denying it. However it's because we have expectations to succeed - and yes, many of us are impatient when we see the coaching aspect of the game letting us down (it's easy to see when the players drop a football or overthrow a receiver by 20-yards). Seeing the coaching let us down is more with scheming and poor game management (after watching years of game film - we can see stuff the average fan might not be able to point out). After Coach Taggart deferred his play calling duties (and this isn't hearsay - we have a player's rep for a reason who stays in contact with the staff), things changed. As a whole, Coach Taggart scrapping his system and hiring a new staff was an exceptional move on his part. Fortunately for him, he made excellent hires because a program is too challenging for one person to figure out on their own (even if you have a talent stockpile). So, back to your original point - it's not the girlfriend that knows Taggart's cousin's wife - it's from the program itself. Does Taggart override things himself at time - of course - he's still the Captain of the USF ship. Let's just say he made a good judgment call before things spiraled out of his control.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

They just said in the Temple game that they are throwing money at the Memphis coach.  Time for the AAC to put up?

I was just thinking... They are talking about Les Miles having a 15 million dollar buyout.  Are any of our teams going to be able to hold on to their coaches if LSU can just drop 15 mil to fire a guy who won?  We might need to keep the winning ship afloat for when realignment money comes calling.

no coach would be dumb enough to sign a ridiculous buyout without giving them a ridiculous sum per year.

His assistants are being paid as much as Holtz assistants while he is making almost $1M per year less than Holtz did.

I'm still not sure why so many give the assistants all the credit while not seeming to think Taggart had anything to do with this.

Reference...

At no point in my post did I say or hint that the assistants get "all the credit." Nor did I mention CWT not having anything to do with it. Please read it again and try to comprehend.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,112
  • Days Won:  6

We had a recent online discussion among former players from season one through the last graduating season - many of us thought it would behoove the administration not to jump on an extension this season until we saw some consistency next year as well (not the entire year per se - but a solid start like the great finish we're experiencing). There were former players calling for Coach's head prior to the season starting and a couple games into it (with just as many wanting to see how this season played out). I was definitely one of them in the can him camp - not denying it. However it's because we have expectations to succeed - and yes, many of us are impatient when we see the coaching aspect of the game letting us down (it's easy to see when the players drop a football or overthrow a receiver by 20-yards). Seeing the coaching let us down is more with scheming and poor game management (after watching years of game film - we can see stuff the average fan might not be able to point out). After Coach Taggart deferred his play calling duties (and this isn't hearsay - we have a player's rep for a reason who stays in contact with the staff), things changed. As a whole, Coach Taggart scrapping his system and hiring a new staff was an exceptional move on his part. Fortunately for him, he made excellent hires because a program is too challenging for one person to figure out on their own (even if you have a talent stockpile). So, back to your original point - it's not the girlfriend that knows Taggart's cousin's wife - it's from the program itself. Does Taggart override things himself at time - of course - he's still the Captain of the USF ship. Let's just say he made a good judgment call before things spiraled out of his control.  

wow,  pretty eye opening.   I mentioned in another thread that we really should do all we can to retain whoever has been calling plays.   I believe it is Hope.  He is also doing a fantastic job with the the OL which is playing lights out. 

Edited by mark_my_words

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

wow,  pretty eye opening.   I mentioned in another thread that we really should do all we can to retain whoever has been calling plays.   I believe it is Hope.  He is also doing a fantastic job with the the OL which is playing lights out. 

David Reaves per what I've been told is calling the shots. Although they are co-OC's, so I'm sure they both have some input (and Hope probably has seniority considering the type of track record he has experience wise).

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  822
  • Days Won:  0

David Reaves per what I've been told is calling the shots. Although they are co-OC's, so I'm sure they both have some input (and Hope probably has seniority considering the type of track record he has experience wise).

I was really unhappy with Reaves last year due to the lack of growth in QBs. Clearly, one year is too quick to judge, and I was definitely rash there considering the improvement this year (obviously some of that has to do with system changes, and QB changes).

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  725
  • Days Won:  0

Slightly off topic here but, it is a great time not to be worrying about a HC.

There are already 12 teams looking for one. Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa State, Maryland, Miami, Missouri, North Texas, South Carolina, UCF, ULM, USC, Virginia Tech

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

No extension this season and yes, I see the upward trajectory. I also know he's not calling the plays now. When he gave up play calling, we got better. If any of the coaches warrant extensions, I would give money to the OC and DC and then some additional change to Willie for recognizing he needed to relinquish some of his duties. I'd be more worried about losing the coordinators than the head coach presently. Willie has proven his worth as a recruiter - now lets see some consistent results on the field before we throw more money at him. He was literally one game away from receiving a pink slip this season - now he's the second coming. I feel good about the rest of the season - but I want to see the success replicated next season. If at that point we get outbid by a P5 school, we'll still be solid with talent for a few years. Thanks HBRYAN for keeping a level mind on the roller coaster running between Fletcher and Fowler. 

This view is hard to argue, and difficult to see why it gets down arrows.  It's not bashing Taggart.  It's speaking to the changes that were likely made, and sharing credit.  Ultimately Taggart gets the bulk of credit or blame...such is the life of the HC.

• Upvote 1