• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

If you're Mark Harlan

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Hmmm...it's bold thinking, I'll give you that.  But who would be audacious enough to propose such a vision?!

It's a great question.  I sure hope someone will.  

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

I'd have a nice salary. 

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

Actually, there is evidence that it won't:

After 18 Years...

Why Temple's Quest...

There are plenty of reasons to get an OCS, including game day atmosphere, but attendance bump is not one of them.

This.  For whatever bump we'll see in student attendance we're likely to lose in "casual fan" attendance.  Those less than avid USF fans, or just casual FSU/Miam/UF fans, who would attend a game in RJ because its 20-25 min away in a location they are familiar with will more than likely skip a game if its now 40-45 min away in a part of Tampa they likely don't know well.  

I think thats been part of UCF's struggles as their campus isn't exactly centrally located in Orlando, and for now, they need to rely on the casual fans as much as we do.  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,457
  • Days Won:  25

This.  For whatever bump we'll see in student attendance we're likely to lose in "casual fan" attendance.  Those less than avid USF fans, or just casual FSU/Miam/UF fans, who would attend a game in RJ because its 20-25 min away in a location they are familiar with will more than likely skip a game if its now 40-45 min away in a part of Tampa they likely don't know well.  

I think thats been part of UCF's struggles as their campus isn't exactly centrally located in Orlando, and for now, they need to rely on the casual fans as much as we do.  

I think this is important. The reputation of the area around USF is fairly well documented. I think that it would take many years AFTER changing the culture around "Suitcase City" for the stigma to wear off. 

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  831
  • Days Won:  0

Actually, there is evidence that it won't:

After 18 Years...

Why Temple's Quest...

There are plenty of reasons to get an OCS, including game day atmosphere, but attendance bump is not one of them.

Good post!

My orginal statement was to build an OCS for the simple fact that it would indeed increase attendance but rather in hopes of increasing the attendance due to the environment that it might provide during game days.

Personally, I love going to Ray J and we currently have the best product on that field but I would love to actually have that full experience like when you make a road trip to ND, Michigan State, and some other "football" schools.

I think this discussion has brought out many factors as to why we don't need one right now.

Here's the order of what it takes to build an awesome gameday experience on campus:

Winning football team -------------> steady 80-90% capacity attendance at Ray Jay over a period of YEARS ------------> Big $$$ from donors ---------------->on campus stadium fund -------------> ground breaking of an OCS.

Some here think:

winning football team announce OCS ---------> winning football team  big $$$ from donors -------------> winning football team groundbreak/build OCS -----------> winning football team 100% capacity attendance + SRO -------------> winning football team awesome gameday experience.  

No.  Just stop it already.  

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,614
  • Days Won:  51

Here's the order of what it takes to build an awesome gameday experience on campus:

Winning football team -------------> steady 80-90% capacity attendance at Ray Jay over a period of YEARS ------------> Big $$$ from donors ---------------->on campus stadium fund -------------> ground breaking of an OCS.

Some here think:

winning football team announce OCS ---------> winning football team  big $$$ from donors -------------> winning football team groundbreak/build OCS -----------> winning football team 100% capacity attendance + SRO -------------> winning football team awesome gameday experience.  

No.  Just stop it already.  

If somebody gave $100million to USF for a stadium would you cry?  What exactly is your aversion to an OCS?  Are you the head of finance for USF and have unique insight into what we can or cannot afford?

If  ...

I stopped reading right there, sorry Sellular.  

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,680
  • Days Won:  108

Correct me if I'm wrong but Tampa Bay Area is a fair-weather market anyway.

When the Rays, Bucs, or Bolts aren't winning no one goes.

I guess that seems to trickle down to the college level as well.

However, I do think that hands down an OCS would termendously help with attendance. 

Did you see the thread about 300 people in FIU's stadium?  How's that working out?

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,682
  • Days Won:  8

OCS won't help attemdamce, it might actually hurt attendance.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1