• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

If you're Mark Harlan

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  262
  • Days Won:  2

Yes, and more yes!

No we are getting somewhere.

Who's got the ledger number for the OCS fundraising monies!?!?!?

It'd be super cheesy, yet awesome at the same time.  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Win consistently first.

Then practice field.

Agreed, we need to show that we have a consistent fan base. Practice field in the immediate future, then OCS in the long term (assuming we transition more fair-weather fans to hardcore stark raving USF lunatics that won't miss out on games under any circumstances). :D

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,743
  • Days Won:  17

Agreed, we need to show that we have a consistent fan base. Practice field in the immediate future, then OCS in the long term (assuming we transition more fair-weather fans to hardcore stark raving USF lunatics that won't miss out on games under any circumstances). :D

back in my day the team practiced on the intermural field, they don't need a new field.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

Do you think it's a good idea if we have the College of Business do a feasibility study?  

Hmmm...it's bold thinking, I'll give you that.  But who would be audacious enough to propose such a vision?!

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  831
  • Days Won:  0

Correct me if I'm wrong but Tampa Bay Area is a fair-weather market anyway.

When the Rays, Bucs, or Bolts aren't winning no one goes.

I guess that seems to trickle down to the college level as well.

However, I do think that hands down an OCS would termendously help with attendance. 

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Correct me if I'm wrong but Tampa Bay Area is a fair-weather market anyway.

When the Rays, Bucs, or Bolts aren't winning no one goes.

I guess that seems to trickle down to the college level as well.

However, I do think that hands down an OCS would termendously help with attendance. 

There is no evidence to support this statement at all.  The only thing it might help is for the students (the same students that seem to have no problem finding their way to the beach or Ybor).

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,613
  • Days Won:  51

I just hope Harlan makes the announcement soon so all the people that biictch about us not deserving of an OCS will STFU.

Edited by Sellular1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  831
  • Days Won:  0

There is no evidence to support this statement at all.  The only thing it might help is for the students (the same students that seem to have no problem finding their way to the beach or Ybor).

There's no eveidence that it won't either........

Not to mention I feel that if would make it feel more like a college football atmosphere during game days.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Actually, there is evidence that it won't:

After 18 Years...

In 2009, Akron University, a Mid-American Conference school, spent $70 million on a new facility in hopes of attracting better recruits and new fans. But the team has failed to live up to its impressive stadium and attendance has been abysmal.

Results often are mixed, especially for teams outside the five major conferences, Maxcy said.

The University of Central Florida, an American Athletic Conference school like USF and an in-state rival, moved closer to students in 2007 when it opened its Bright House Networks Stadium, a $55 million, 45,000-seat venue.

In 2014, a year after the school's first BCS bowl victory and amid another conference-championship season, attendance fluctuated from a near sell-out to a season-low of 30,920 for the home finale.

Another conference opponent, Tulane University, opened its new stadium last year after decades of playing in the Superdome in New Orleans. The home opener sold out all 30,000 seats. But by the last home game, with the team 3-8, about 20,000 people bought tickets.

Why Temple's Quest...

Recent history also suggests new stadiums do little to increase interest in football. Since 2000, 11 stadiums either on-campus or near-campus with the main purpose being to host Division I FBS college football games have been built. Attendance at these stadiums has been lower compared to college football as a whole.

The average percentage of capacity filled at the 11 newest stadiums in 2014 was about 73 percent. For all of college football it was 83 percent. Of the 11, two teams, Baylor and Stanford, had an average attendance that met 95 percent of capacity. Six teams were below 70 percent of capacity, and Akron and Florida Atlantic, with stadiums completed in 2009 and 2011, averaged about 31 percent capacity and 47 percent capacity last year, respectively.       

And stadiums that don’t sell out make it tougher to pay back the debt on a project that would likely cost anywhere from $100 million to $300 million

There are plenty of reasons to get an OCS, including game day atmosphere, but attendance bump is not one of them.

Edited by Apis Bull
  • Upvote 2