• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Harlan on Taggart

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  470
  • Days Won:  0

To give CWT a fair shake, I think we need to see his offense operate with a capable QB.  On the other hand, if he can't get one here, then that's on him as well.  So, to me, the victory that CWT needs to secure his job this off-season is a recruiting win at the QB position 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

My take away from this is that Taggart will need to be caught in bed with a dead girl or live boy in order to get fired.

My take away is that Harlan knows what needs to be done and doesn't rely on message boards and instant satisfaction.

If it's better for the program, Taggart's gone... if not, Taggart gets another year

I don't see how keeping him is better for the program. His philosophy is boring, doesn't work here and is driving fans away. Are they looking to see how few season tickets they can get next year?

Easy:

1) Affordability. He's the one that knows more than anyone else whether or not USF can even afford bringing in a new coach

2) I've heard many arguments (from talk shows, news, even from other struggling programs long long ago) that firing a new coach that doesn't succeed fairly early makes it more difficult to bring other quality coaches. Most coaches probably agree (based on new coach speeches) that the first year is usually a rebuilding year and is a throw away. So now if the program doesn't produce the 2nd year they are kicked out...? Coaches want time to build up a bad program.

3) Related to #2... Harlan may have already sent out feelers and know what's currently available.

Agree with points 1 & 2.

In year 2 there needs to be some signs of improvement with the younger guys being the main contributors. Those are signs you look for to determine if there is indeed improvement. At times we saw that with the RBs. Nothing much more to point to.

It would be easy to sell a HC candidate on why a change is needed.

By keeping Taggart, Taggart now becomes Harlan's guy.

Considering where we are on the food chain the next coach will either be an up in coming coordinator, retread not currently coaching, or someone with enough baggage that they were forced out of coaching and is looking for a quick stop for image rehab purposes.  I would think most young and up and comers would look at a situation where a guy only got 2 seasons to complete a total rebuild as a MAJOR red flag.  Especially at a program where USF is at in the current college football landscape. Why would they want to go to a program that has never accomplished anything tangible (ie championships), has a fan base and administration with perceived unrealistic expectations, limited finances, and just got done giving another young coach what can easily be perceived as less than a fair shake (not to mention just fired another coach after 3 years)?  If you don't see how that could severely limit our potential coaching pool and make the Job toxic you need to take off the green and gold goggles.  The only way anyone up and coming would look at this job if we fire Taggart is if they have a previously established relationship with Harlan and they trust him.  For any outsider that isn't affiliated with Harlan or possibly has a burning desire to coach at USF there would be a TON of red flags about this job if we fire Taggart.  

Edited by Bull Dozer
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,686
  • Days Won:  108

I think the problem lies in CWT being to involved in the O.

Halfway through the season I thought ther was some progress and I even thought we might turn a small corner. Something happened and we clearly regressed. I will say for such an ugly season I saw more fight in this team then I have seen in a long time.

Taggart got involved with the play calling after the 3rd game.  There ya go.

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

My take away from this is that Taggart will need to be caught in bed with a dead girl or live boy in order to get fired.

My take away is that Harlan knows what needs to be done and doesn't rely on message boards and instant satisfaction.

If it's better for the program, Taggart's gone... if not, Taggart gets another year

I don't see how keeping him is better for the program. His philosophy is boring, doesn't work here and is driving fans away. Are they looking to see how few season tickets they can get next year?

Easy:

1) Affordability. He's the one that knows more than anyone else whether or not USF can even afford bringing in a new coach

2) I've heard many arguments (from talk shows, news, even from other struggling programs long long ago) that firing a new coach that doesn't succeed fairly early makes it more difficult to bring other quality coaches. Most coaches probably agree (based on new coach speeches) that the first year is usually a rebuilding year and is a throw away. So now if the program doesn't produce the 2nd year they are kicked out...? Coaches want time to build up a bad program.

3) Related to #2... Harlan may have already sent out feelers and know what's currently available.

Also, unless the new coach is a splash hire, it would have little effect on attendance. Most of the ones leaving/left are tired of the losing and won't be back until the winning starts again ...

I can only speak for myself but the only way I won't renew next year is if Taggart is back. Don't need a splash hire to sell me, just some semblance of hope.
That's how we feel as well

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

^^^ sorry, I have to laugh at the first point, 84. I don't see Taggart EVER agreeing to that.

Then you give him the ultimatum. He either does or gets fired for "differences in philosophy of the program's direction"

Happens all the time

Made me LOL.

This is like going down the interstate the wrong way. The sooner we get off and turn around, the better.

Wouldn't you then be going the wrong way on the other side?  ;)

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,614
  • Days Won:  51

Was just watching the Stanford game and the announcer called their offense style a "dinosaur" and can't win against good defenses

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

Was just watching the Stanford game and the announcer called their offense style a "dinosaur" and can't win against good defenses

Adapt, evolve or go extinct.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

Easy:

Agree with points 1 & 2.

In year 2 there needs to be some signs of improvement with the younger guys being the main contributors. Those are signs you look for to determine if there is indeed improvement. At times we saw that with the RBs. Nothing much more to point to.

It would be easy to sell a HC candidate on why a change is needed.

By keeping Taggart, Taggart now becomes Harlan's guy.

Considering where we are on the food chain the next coach will either be an up in coming coordinator, retread not currently coaching, or someone with enough baggage that they were forced out of coaching and is looking for a quick stop for image rehab purposes.  I would think most young and up and comers would look at a situation where a guy only got 2 seasons to complete a total rebuild as a MAJOR red flag.  Especially at a program where USF is at in the current college football landscape. Why would they want to go to a program that has never accomplished anything tangible (ie championships), has a fan base and administration with perceived unrealistic expectations, limited finances, and just got done giving another young coach what can easily be perceived as less than a fair shake (not to mention just fired another coach after 3 years)?  If you don't see how that could severely limit our potential coaching pool and make the Job toxic you need to take off the green and gold goggles.  The only way anyone up and coming would look at this job if we fire Taggart is if they have a previously established relationship with Harlan and they trust him.  For any outsider that isn't affiliated with Harlan or possibly has a burning desire to coach at USF there would be a TON of red flags about this job if we fire Taggart.

I have to disagree. In an organization when there is change at top no one is safe from the prior regime. Taggart has not demonstrated much to give him lee way. Harlan can make the case that this is just business and Taggart was not the right guy to lead this program. I work in human resources, I know someone will want a shot or be willing to take a chance on coming.