• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Harlan on Taggart

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

My take away from this is that Taggart will need to be caught in bed with a dead girl or live boy in order to get fired.

My take away is that Harlan knows what needs to be done and doesn't rely on message boards and instant satisfaction.

If it's better for the program, Taggart's gone... if not, Taggart gets another year

I don't see how keeping him is better for the program. His philosophy is boring, doesn't work here and is driving fans away. Are they looking to see how few season tickets they can get next year?

Was just watching the Stanford game and the announcer called their offense style a "dinosaur" and can't win against good defenses

While they're up 28-10 against a top 10 team.  That sounds like an intelligent comment....

Edited by Bull Dozer

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,614
  • Days Won:  51

My take away from this is that Taggart will need to be caught in bed with a dead girl or live boy in order to get fired.

My take away is that Harlan knows what needs to be done and doesn't rely on message boards and instant satisfaction.

If it's better for the program, Taggart's gone... if not, Taggart gets another year

I don't see how keeping him is better for the program. His philosophy is boring, doesn't work here and is driving fans away. Are they looking to see how few season tickets they can get next year?

Was just watching the Stanford game and the announcer called their offense style a "dinosaur" and can't win against good defenses

While they're up 28-10 against a top 10 team.  That sounds like an intelligent comment....

He said it when Furd was down 7-0. But yeah, he isn't talking about it anymore I bet.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

He said it when Furd was down 7-0. But yeah, he isn't talking about it anymore I bet.

For S's & G's I just checked the box score and they are over 350yds of offense and the game is still in the 3rd quarter

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  725
  • Days Won:  0

The thing is get what CWT wants to do with the offense. Long clock eating drives, while hitting some play-action passes. For whatever reason, it's not working here.

Edited by ssgCraigO

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

The thing is get what CWT wants to do with the offense. Long clock eating drives, while hitting some play-action passes. For whatever reason, it's not working here.

They have been running the same type of offense for about 20 years. They did not have to completely recycle the personnel. They can simply recruit to fit the scheme and the incoming kids have the luxury of learning and growing.

It is harder to do what Taggart is doing. However, I am just not convinced he will be able to build it whether it is next year or five years from now.

I don't see him being more than a .500 coach ever.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  361
  • Days Won:  0

The sign of a well coached team is they improve as the season progresses. 24 games and this offence cannot execute,in fact it has regressed. IMO Pop Warner coaches could effectively game plan for this offence, there is no excuse for the lack of offensive imagination. CWT needs to look in the mirror. This has to rank up there as one of the poorest coaching jobs in division one this year. His instincts in his play calling and game management are almost always wrong. He has let his players down and gave no help to any of his QB's to succeed.

Not to bring up the past but For those of you felt Levett could hot get them to the next level he sure as heck would not have gone backwards.

It's disgusting to hear O'leary be so smug. USF does not have another year to waist.

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Easy:

1) Affordability. He's the one that knows more than anyone else whether or not USF can even afford bringing in a new coach

2) I've heard many arguments (from talk shows, news, even from other struggling programs long long ago) that firing a new coach that doesn't succeed fairly early makes it more difficult to bring other quality coaches. Most coaches probably agree (based on new coach speeches) that the first year is usually a rebuilding year and is a throw away. So now if the program doesn't produce the 2nd year they are kicked out...? Coaches want time to build up a bad program.

3) Related to #2... Harlan may have already sent out feelers and know what's currently available.

Agree with points 1 & 2.

In year 2 there needs to be some signs of improvement with the younger guys being the main contributors. Those are signs you look for to determine if there is indeed improvement. At times we saw that with the RBs. Nothing much more to point to.

It would be easy to sell a HC candidate on why a change is needed.

By keeping Taggart, Taggart now becomes Harlan's guy.

Considering where we are on the food chain the next coach will either be an up in coming coordinator, retread not currently coaching, or someone with enough baggage that they were forced out of coaching and is looking for a quick stop for image rehab purposes.  I would think most young and up and comers would look at a situation where a guy only got 2 seasons to complete a total rebuild as a MAJOR red flag.  Especially at a program where USF is at in the current college football landscape. Why would they want to go to a program that has never accomplished anything tangible (ie championships), has a fan base and administration with perceived unrealistic expectations, limited finances, and just got done giving another young coach what can easily be perceived as less than a fair shake (not to mention just fired another coach after 3 years)?  If you don't see how that could severely limit our potential coaching pool and make the Job toxic you need to take off the green and gold goggles.  The only way anyone up and coming would look at this job if we fire Taggart is if they have a previously established relationship with Harlan and they trust him.  For any outsider that isn't affiliated with Harlan or possibly has a burning desire to coach at USF there would be a TON of red flags about this job if we fire Taggart.  

Totally agree.

But...

All you have to do is look at the game film, and it'll be very clear to any potential hire just how bad Taggs is.

I think the incompetence of the incumbent overrules the apprehension of the applicant

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

The sign of a well coached team is they improve as the season progresses. 24 games and this offence cannot execute,in fact it has regressed. IMO Pop Warner coaches could effectively game plan for this offence, there is no excuse for the lack of offensive imagination. CWT needs to look in the mirror. This has to rank up there as one of the poorest coaching jobs in division one this year. His instincts in his play calling and game management are almost always wrong. He has let his players down and gave no help to any of his QB's to succeed.

Not to bring up the past but For those of you felt Levett could hot get them to the next level he sure as heck would not have gone backwards.

It's disgusting to hear O'leary be so smug. USF does not have another year to waist.

Well said

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

During his post gamer presser there was no accoutablity on his part.  He just talked about mistakes, penalties and recruiting more players.  blah blah blah He laid the blame on the players.  He should have said this loss was 100% on him and it least apologized to the fan base for getting shut out at home by your biggest rival for the first time ever.

He's a clown

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  94
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

This coach has lost my loyalty and respect. Even the diehards won't keep opening their wallets forever...