• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Harlan on Taggart

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

This is all just a big waste of time. I'd be shocked if they win six games next year. Ultimately, they'll fire him after 2015. Based on what I've seen I can't imagine he makes it.

Given how bad the AAC is I can see Taggart falling backwards into 6 wins and stayng here with us a solidly mediocre team in a terrible division.

How many first and Macks does it take to realize this guy's coaching tools are way too limited?

The AAC was terrible this year and he barely managed to get 4 wins. No way he gets 6 wins with a worse team next year.

How is it going to be a WORSE team next year? The youth on both sides of the ball have some great talent... we will be BETTER next year.

You aren't paying attention. It isn't the talent, it is the coaching.

Edit: There are plenty of Fr & So playing D-1 football around the country that are making an impact. If the kids he are recruiting are good enough for the classes to be ranked where they are, they should be more than talented enough to make an impact here - at least some of them. So it must be the coaching that prohibits them from showing the same level of skill as others around the country. Marlon Mack is an exception but is playing a position that is as much instinct as it is the result of great coaching.

Then hopefully the coaches next year will work more on not missing wide open receivers, catching balls that hit them in the hands, making stupid decisions that result in penalties ... Truth be told it's a combination of talent, experience AND coaching that comes into play.

So either his recruits aren't that talented or he isn't coaching them. He's made it a point of playing "his" guys because the others were NOT "his" guys and they had no talent. Either way Tags isn't delivering. If you've stopped playing the other coach's kids because the kids you recruited are more talented, then they really need to show that they are. Don't want to hear about this "young" stuff. Either you are better than the other kid or you aren't.

Agreed

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,604
  • Days Won:  424

This is all just a big waste of time. I'd be shocked if they win six games next year. Ultimately, they'll fire him after 2015. Based on what I've seen I can't imagine he makes it.

Given how bad the AAC is I can see Taggart falling backwards into 6 wins and stayng here with us a solidly mediocre team in a terrible division.

How many first and Macks does it take to realize this guy's coaching tools are way too limited?

The AAC was terrible this year and he barely managed to get 4 wins. No way he gets 6 wins with a worse team next year.

How is it going to be a WORSE team next year?  The youth on both sides of the ball have some great talent... we will be BETTER next year.

You aren't paying attention.  It isn't the talent, it is the coaching. 

Edit:  There are plenty of Fr & So playing D-1 football around the country that are making an impact.  If the kids he are recruiting are good enough for the classes to be ranked where they are, they should be more than talented enough to make an impact here - at least some of them.  So it must be the coaching that prohibits them from showing the same level of skill as others around the country.  Marlon Mack is an exception but is playing a position that is as much instinct as it is the result of great coaching.

Then hopefully the coaches next year will work more on not missing wide open receivers, catching balls that hit them in the hands, making stupid decisions that result in penalties ... Truth be told it's a combination of talent, experience AND coaching that comes into play.

So either his recruits aren't that talented or he isn't coaching them.  He's made it a point of playing "his" guys because the others were NOT "his" guys and they had no talent.  Either way Tags isn't delivering.  If you've stopped playing the other coach's kids because the kids you recruited are more talented, then they really need to show that they are.  Don't want to hear about this "young" stuff.  Either you are better than the other kid or you aren't.

I never heard HIM making that point .... and was every player out there today one of "his" guys? I don't think so .... so to put this as some "his guys" versus "Skip's guys" debate is ridiculous. My guess is he played the players, no matter whose "guys" they were, that he thought gave him the best chance to win .... but you are correct, either way, he's not delivering and that's all that matters. Next year he should have to.

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  187
  • Days Won:  0

At least Harlan didn't say he was happy with what he sees on the field.  There is no organization from the head coach on down.  Players look lost because the coaches are lost.  Team is breaking the huddle on offense and scrambling to snap the ball before the play clock expires constantly and this was the last game of the year not the first game of the year.  You convert a 4th and 1 with a QB sneak and on the 1 yard line you can't figure out what just worked and to try the same play the you were just successful with.  As unorganized as they are on gameday I can only imagine how poorly the team practices are run.  The dropped passes and players not running the plays right are because the kids are checked out, either they don't believe in the coach or they aren't being held accountable in practice.  This team has looked awful in just about every game against many bad opponents.  There is a reason USF ranks #126 in the nation behind 23 FCS schools and it is because of the head coach.  USF has gone backwards in two years with no signs of improvement.  Key players are still getting suspended, stupid penalties continue to happen, players make bad decisions on the field or run the plays wrongs, it is the ultimate nightmare for USF fans.  I have ZERO confidence in Taggart and do not know why any high school seniors with any talent would want to play for him.  Stop memorizing Drake lyrics and learn how to coach football Willie!

At least Harlan didn't say he was happy with what he sees on the field. There is no organization from the head coach on down. Players look lost because the coaches are lost. Team is breaking the huddle on offense and scrambling to snap the ball before the play clock expires constantly and this was the last game of the year not the first game of the year. You convert a 4th and 1 with a QB sneak and on the 1 yard line you can't figure out what just worked and to try the same play the you were just successful with. As unorganized as they are on gameday I can only imagine how poorly the team practices are run. The dropped passes and players not running the plays right are because the kids are checked out, either they don't believe in the coach or they aren't being held accountable in practice. This team has looked awful in just about every game against many bad opponents. There is a reason USF ranks #126 in the nation behind 23 FCS schools and it is because of the head coach. USF has gone backwards in two years with no signs of improvement. Key players are still getting suspended, stupid penalties continue to happen, players make bad decisions on the field or run the plays wrongs, it is the ultimate nightmare for USF fans. I have ZERO confidence in Taggart and do not know why any high school seniors with any talent would want to play for him. Stop memorizing Drake lyrics and learn how to coach football Willie![/quote

Aren't you buying into willies plan?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,686
  • Days Won:  108

How is it going to be a WORSE team next year?  The youth on both sides of the ball have some great talent... we will be BETTER next year.

Edit:  There are plenty of Fr & So playing D-1 football around the country that are making an impact.  If the kids he are recruiting are good enough for the classes to be ranked where they are, they should be more than talented enough to make an impact here - at least some of them.  So it must be the coaching that prohibits them from showing the same level of skill as others around the country.  Marlon Mack is an exception but is playing a position that is as much instinct as it is the result of great coaching.

I was paying attention... the offense was actually little better, but the OL simply could not do it's job and how many times do we need to see receivers just plain drop the ball ... the defense was talented, but made a lot of dumb mistakes - taking the wrong angels or gaps, getting out of position, or just doing dumb things (like Abraham's penalty today).

I don't see how you can assume we'll be better.  They are doing the same things wrong after 2 years.  So next year you are assuming we won't do those things?

I also want to know why the team has done things for 2 years and people think they won't do them next year

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

I also want to know why the team has done things for 2 years and people think they won't do them next year

Just trying to rationalize keeping CWT around. Next year there will be no excuses. I want CWT to prove me wrong, because another coaching search has its own serious drawbacks, but I doubt he will.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  187

My question to Harlan would be this.  If Willie Taggart did not have a guaranteed contract would he be your head coach in 2015?  If his answer is no then he must get rid of Taggart now and find a way to make it work as that is his job. 

I understand that the NFL is different than NCAA football and USF does not have the budget like NFL teams do.  That being said, in 1999 first year head coach Ray Rhodes led the Green Bay Packers to an 8-8 record.  Seeing how Rhodes ran the team and how they underperformed on the field Ron Wolf fired Rhodes after his first season even though he didn't have a losing record. 

If Harlan believes that Willie is doing the right thing every day and that the ship will turn around that is fine.  However, by doing so he should expect to be held accountable for what Willie's teams accomplish or fail to accomplish going forward.  He has had enough time to evaluate Taggart and determine whether or not he is capable of being a good college head coach.  I have not seen the stat from this season of how many minutes we have been ahead or behind in games but based on watching most games this season I would think that stat would surprise people with how bad this team really was. Personally, I don't think Willie is a bad person but I do not see him ever being a good college head coach, at least not at USF.  Taggart now has a career head coaching record of 22-38.

I will leave you with one last thought.  Taggart left Western Kentucky for the USF obviously because he thought that USF was a better job and a better football school.  Today Western Kentucky knocked off undefeated and #24 ranked Marshall at Marshall with first year head coach Jeff Brohm at the helm (note: Brohm had never been a head coach prior to this season).  If USF was to play 7-5 Western Kentucky next week on a neutral field USF would be 7 point underdogs. 

• Upvote 2

My question to Harlan would be this. If Willie Taggart did not have a guaranteed contract would he be your head coach in 2015? If his answer is no then he must get rid of Taggart now and find a way to make it work as that is his job.

I understand that the NFL is different than NCAA football and USF does not have the budget like NFL teams do. That being said, in 1999 first year head coach Ray Rhodes led the Green Bay Packers to an 8-8 record. Seeing how Rhodes ran the team and how they underperformed on the field Ron Wolf fired Rhodes after his first season even though he didn't have a losing record.

If Harlan believes that Willie is doing the right thing every day and that the ship will turn around that is fine. However, by doing so he should expect to be held accountable for what Willie's teams accomplish or fail to accomplish going forward. He has had enough time to evaluate Taggart and determine whether or not he is capable of being a good college head coach. I have not seen the stat from this season of how many minutes we have been ahead or behind in games but based on watching most games this season I would think that stat would surprise people with how bad this team really was. Personally, I don't think Willie is a bad person but I do not see him ever being a good college head coach, at least not at USF. Taggart now has a career head coaching record of 22-38.

I will leave you with one last thought. Taggart left Western Kentucky for the USF obviously because he thought that USF was a better job and a better football school. Today Western Kentucky knocked off undefeated and #24 ranked Marshall at Marshall with first year head coach Jeff Brohm at the helm (note: Brohm had never been a head coach prior to this season). If USF was to play 7-5 Western Kentucky next week on a neutral field USF would be 7 point underdogs.

Underdogs to WKU That says it all

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516

This is true that our issues are a combination, but what irks me the most is we all know that there are teams out there with less talent, less resources, less whatever you want, that make it work and find a way to put some points on the board. 0 points in the 24th game of your tenure, at home, against an average team at best??? I'm sorry, that is so much more on coaching than it is personnel to me. Taggart either finds a way for this team to have a huge jump in all facets next year which turns into a bowl game or he's packing his bags