• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Harlan on Taggart

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  725
  • Days Won:  0

I just don't see how you talk people into playing for this offense. College is supposed to be fun. This is not.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Let's hope things do not go well when Harlan has his sit down with Taggart and we have a new coach for 2015.

I think this is probably the only hope for there being a coaching change in 2014.

We can live with Taggart as HC as long as there are real changes at OC and bringing in a proven guy to teach him how to be a HC.

If we just lose Wulfe and shuffle some Offensive coaches to make it look like changes it will be meaningless.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

^^^ sorry, I have to laugh at the first point, 84. I don't see Taggart EVER agreeing to that.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

I Harlan hires a GREAT OC, and forces Willie to let him do his job, I can see Harlan keeping Willie

Otherwise, I just don't see it.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

Let's hope things do not go well when Harlan has his sit down with Taggart and we have a new coach for 2015.

I think this is probably the only hope for there being a coaching change in 2014.
We can live with Taggart as HC as long as there are real changes at OC and bringing in a proven guy to teach him how to be a HC.

If we just lose Wulfe and shuffle some Offensive coaches to make it look like changes it will be meaningless.

Get ready to be disappointed. CWT doesn't seem to me to be the kind of guy to just be a figurehead HC. He won't relinquish control over play calling.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,748
  • Content Count:  17,456
  • Days Won:  13

I Harlan hires a GREAT OC, and forces Willie to let him do his job, I can see Harlan keeping Willie

Taggart has the authority to hire and fire assistants. 

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Taggart has the authority to hire and fire assistants. 

Probably, but none of us have seen the contract. Nor do we know what leverage Harlan can bring to bear.

I'm 80-20 that Taggs is gone

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  162
  • Days Won:  0

My take away from this is that Taggart will need to be caught in bed with a dead girl or live boy in order to get fired.

My take away is that Harlan knows what needs to be done and doesn't rely on message boards and instant satisfaction.

If it's better for the program, Taggart's gone... if not, Taggart gets another year

I don't see how keeping him is better for the program. His philosophy is boring, doesn't work here and is driving fans away. Are they looking to see how few season tickets they can get next year?

Easy:

1) Affordability.  He's the one that knows more than anyone else whether or not USF can even afford bringing in a new coach

2) I've heard many arguments (from talk shows, news, even from other struggling programs long long ago) that firing a new coach that doesn't succeed fairly early makes it more difficult to bring other quality coaches. Most coaches probably agree (based on new coach speeches) that the first year is usually a rebuilding year and is a throw away.  So now if the program doesn't produce the 2nd year they are kicked out...?  Coaches want time to build up a bad program.

3) Related to #2... Harlan may have already sent out feelers and know what's currently available.

Also, unless the new coach is a splash hire, it would have little effect on attendance. Most of the ones leaving/left are tired of the losing and won't be back until the winning starts again ...

I can only speak for myself but the only way I won't renew next year is if Taggart is back.  Don't need a splash hire to sell me, just some semblance of hope.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

Get ready to be disappointed. CWT doesn't seem to me to be the kind of guy to just be a figurehead HC. He won't relinquish control over play calling.

Then he better hire Jim when he's fired or he will be joining.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,525
  • Days Won:  422

My take away from this is that Taggart will need to be caught in bed with a dead girl or live boy in order to get fired.

My take away is that Harlan knows what needs to be done and doesn't rely on message boards and instant satisfaction.

If it's better for the program, Taggart's gone... if not, Taggart gets another year

I don't see how keeping him is better for the program. His philosophy is boring, doesn't work here and is driving fans away. Are they looking to see how few season tickets they can get next year?

Easy:

1) Affordability.  He's the one that knows more than anyone else whether or not USF can even afford bringing in a new coach

2) I've heard many arguments (from talk shows, news, even from other struggling programs long long ago) that firing a new coach that doesn't succeed fairly early makes it more difficult to bring other quality coaches. Most coaches probably agree (based on new coach speeches) that the first year is usually a rebuilding year and is a throw away.  So now if the program doesn't produce the 2nd year they are kicked out...?  Coaches want time to build up a bad program.

3) Related to #2... Harlan may have already sent out feelers and know what's currently available.

Also, unless the new coach is a splash hire, it would have little effect on attendance. Most of the ones leaving/left are tired of the losing and won't be back until the winning starts again ...

I can only speak for myself but the only way I won't renew next year is if Taggart is back.  Don't need a splash hire to sell me, just some semblance of hope.

That's why I said "most". There will obviously be some that won't renew just for that reason ... based on some of the squeakiest wheels on the board ... but I think the vast majority of the bailers are just tired of the years of losing and will come back when we're not.