• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Harlan on Taggart

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  470
  • Days Won:  0

I mean you guys wanted a ground and pound offense. You got a coach to come in and try to change everything. Now you guys understand we can't run this offense and succeed. I tried saying it from the beginning. He did get us our first 1,000 yard rusher in awhile. You all wanted that. I really don't understand what you guys expected. We were HORRIBLE. We still are. He is not a magician and it doesn't help with a complete overhaul. He has atleast is teaching our kids how to run a real offense. It isn't their fault they are not good enough to execute it and block for it. I would love a coach that would make it all go away and make it easy where big time players would line up to come play. We are unfortunately trying to climb out of a very deep hole. I wouldn't blame tags for this and I knew we wouldn't make any real progress till year 4 or 5. It takes that long. It doesn't take a year or two. Its a process and if you think bringing in a new coach is going to take us from 4-7 wins your foolish. Let's just start all over again with a new coach and learn a new offense and a new defense and make the kids get used to a new coach. Try having a little faith.

I said the type of coach we should have went after. Kingsbury or whatever his name is at Texas Tech. Air it our and spread it out. Running based off an air assault. That is what we get in florida. That is who we recruit. We should be trying to score 50 and give up 35-40. That's just my opinion.

Great (rationale) post!
Except we can also feild a fast defense like Leavitt did and hold teams to 25 points per game and just need 27 to win most.

The leavitt formula was getting guys who could run fast and jump high, things you can't teach, and teaching them feild position and schemes, and just being able to coach up some fast over looked players, leavitt built something here.

All we need is a coach that can effectively teach the game, and recruit fast players. FL is overflowing with these fast guys... we were considered one of the fastest defenses in the country under leavitt with mostly 2 star talent. He taught and motivated these guys to be in the right places at the right time and to hit hard.

We just need the same on offense really, some really fast players, reinforce the fundamentals, keeping the eye on the ball, and an athletic QB.

I don't have much of anything substantive to add, but I want to acknowledge how much I agree with this.  Because I do!

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

This type of offense would have been good in the old BE (not necessarily the way Taggart has run it since he has been here, but more running back oriented than we used to have). I say that because a run based offense is good in bad weather and is kind of similar to the offenses we faced against Pitt, Rutgers, Uconn, Syracuse.

This league has more warmer weather based teams and teams that play a little faster.

I prefer a more balanced attack. In the Grothe days, Matt was accounting for too much of the offense. A lot of it, especially in his first year, was by necessity.

I think we may have more athletic football players on offense than ever before. It just seems like the way we run the offense is inflexible and not really designed to get the ball to playmakers in space.

I also believe it is too reliant on perfect read and execution by every player on the field to work consistently.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

I don't think anyone wanted the power run. We were told its his offense, we looked at the few that ran it and thought it would be cool. Of course it was pointed out the type of linemen needed was an issue, which it still is. Basically two years of cramming a square peg in a round hole, we're done with it. I don't think he knows enough about football to run it if he had the right players anyway.

I grew up on the power run, before most on this board were born.

Csonka and Kiick were awesome to be true, youngster

But Hornung and Taylor could run rings around them. Ah, those were the days!

#5 and #1 in this video

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

I don't think anyone wanted the power run. We were told its his offense, we looked at the few that ran it and thought it would be cool. Of course it was pointed out the type of linemen needed was an issue, which it still is. Basically two years of cramming a square peg in a round hole, we're done with it. I don't think he knows enough about football to run it if he had the right players anyway.

I grew up on the power run, before most on this board were born.

Csonka and Kiick were awesome to be true, youngster

But Hornung and Taylor could run rings around them. Ah, those were the days!

#5 and #1 in this video

Around? Csonka and Kiick went through!

csonka.jpg

kiick.jpg

Man, those Miami pretty boys would have folded up in the Green Bay winter. "Oooooh, it's coooold!" :D

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

Man, those Miami pretty boys would have folded up in the Green Bay winter. "Oooooh, it's coooold!" :D

One was from NJ, the other Ohio and now lives in Alaska, so....

And one played college football at Wyoming, the other at Syracuse before the dome.

Edited by slick1ru2

And one played college football at Wyoming, the other at Syracuse before the dome.

Details, schmetails

Fact is 1950's-60's Packers and their smashmouth backs >>> 70's-80's Dolphins and theirs!

You should set em up in your playstation and see how they fare...

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Details, schmetails

Fact is 1950's-60's Packers and their smashmouth backs >>> 70's-80's Dolphins and theirs!

You should set em up in your playstation and see how they fare...

Yeah, because that's always accurate.  I won a National Championship with USF on my Playstation.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

I mean you guys wanted a ground and pound offense. You got a coach to come in and try to change everything. Now you guys understand we can't run this offense and succeed. I tried saying it from the beginning. He did get us our first 1,000 yard rusher in awhile. You all wanted that. I really don't understand what you guys expected. We were HORRIBLE. We still are. He is not a magician and it doesn't help with a complete overhaul. He has atleast is teaching our kids how to run a real offense. It isn't their fault they are not good enough to execute it and block for it. I would love a coach that would make it all go away and make it easy where big time players would line up to come play. We are unfortunately trying to climb out of a very deep hole. I wouldn't blame tags for this and I knew we wouldn't make any real progress till year 4 or 5. It takes that long. It doesn't take a year or two. Its a process and if you think bringing in a new coach is going to take us from 4-7 wins your foolish. Let's just start all over again with a new coach and learn a new offense and a new defense and make the kids get used to a new coach. Try having a little faith.

I said the type of coach we should have went after. Kingsbury or whatever his name is at Texas Tech. Air it our and spread it out. Running based off an air assault. That is what we get in florida. That is who we recruit. We should be trying to score 50 and give up 35-40. That's just my opinion.

Great (rationale) post!
Except we can also feild a fast defense like Leavitt did and hold teams to 25 points per game and just need 27 to win most.

The leavitt formula was getting guys who could run fast and jump high, things you can't teach, and teaching them feild position and schemes, and just being able to coach up some fast over looked players, leavitt built something here.

All we need is a coach that can effectively teach the game, and recruit fast players. FL is overflowing with these fast guys... we were considered one of the fastest defenses in the country under leavitt with mostly 2 star talent. He taught and motivated these guys to be in the right places at the right time and to hit hard.

We just need the same on offense really, some really fast players, reinforce the fundamentals, keeping the eye on the ball, and an athletic QB.

I don't have much of anything substantive to add, but I want to acknowledge how much I agree with this.  Because I do!

+2