• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Its Time to Turn the Page on Willie Taggart

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,526
  • Days Won:  422

People who think CWT will be fired are completely delusional ... (note, I didn't say "should be fired"... I said "will be fired"... "should" implies opinion, "will" implies fact)

He will NOT be fired. USF cannot afford to pay for THREE HEAD COACHES AT THE SAME TIME. In 2015, Holtz has one more year of his buyout. Firing CWT means paying HIS buyout... then paying the salary for another coach.

It may be ugly... but 4 wins are double last year... and more than Skip's last year...

It may not be fast enough for some people... but the team is improving.

Harlan is not going to fire CWT when he is making progress, and we can't really afford it anyway.

This. And, ugly as it is, in his first 2 years CWT has as many wins as Holtz last

Things are improving, just not all at once.

CSH had like 7 or 8 one score losses those two seasons, some on the last play. Those two years the team seemed much more on the edge of competing than these last two.

He had 3 one score losses his last year, none after BJ went down. His inability to have a serviceable qb in waiting is what probably hastened his departure ....

And he had 5 the preceding year...3+5=8.

If Skip's last two years were reversed your "seemed much more on the edge of competing than these last two" would have made more sense ...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

People who think CWT will be fired are completely delusional ... (note, I didn't say "should be fired"... I said "will be fired"... "should" implies opinion, "will" implies fact)

He will NOT be fired. USF cannot afford to pay for THREE HEAD COACHES AT THE SAME TIME. In 2015, Holtz has one more year of his buyout. Firing CWT means paying HIS buyout... then paying the salary for another coach.

It may be ugly... but 4 wins are double last year... and more than Skip's last year...

It may not be fast enough for some people... but the team is improving.

Harlan is not going to fire CWT when he is making progress, and we can't really afford it anyway.

This. And, ugly as it is, in his first 2 years CWT has as many wins as Holtz last

Things are improving, just not all at once.

CSH had like 7 or 8 one score losses those two seasons, some on the last play. Those two years the team seemed much more on the edge of competing than these last two.

He had 3 one score losses his last year, none after BJ went down. His inability to have a serviceable qb in waiting is what probably hastened his departure ....

And he had 5 the preceding year...3+5=8.

If Skip's last two years were reversed your "seemed much more on the edge of competing than these last two" would have made more sense ...

His last year, If they win those 3 one score losses, one against #14 UL, they'd be bowl eligible.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  108

Holtz's coordinators did such a terrible job that he took none of them with him to La Tech. Holtz was atrocious at picking assistants, recruiting Florida and Tampa Bay, and he'd consistently fail to manage certain games adequately while at USF this is why he was fired.

And his record was trending in the wrong direction.  It was quite obvious what was happening as the team was in a steady decline while more and more of his players got on the field.  I think the dumpster fire after BJ got hurt is what ultimately did him in, it was a total indictment of his recruiting and the future of the team so a change had to be made.  

My memory isn't real good at this age.  Who were the backups at QB to BJ when Leavitt was here?

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

UF's worst is CWT's wet dream. There won't be one flip to us before signing day.

Dude come on. You're on the bullpen you must know sarcasm.

Edited by HR Bull
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,526
  • Days Won:  422

Holtz's coordinators did such a terrible job that he took none of them with him to La Tech. Holtz was atrocious at picking assistants, recruiting Florida and Tampa Bay, and he'd consistently fail to manage certain games adequately while at USF this is why he was fired.

And his record was trending in the wrong direction.  It was quite obvious what was happening as the team was in a steady decline while more and more of his players got on the field.  I think the dumpster fire after BJ got hurt is what ultimately did him in, it was a total indictment of his recruiting and the future of the team so a change had to be made.  

My memory isn't real good at this age.  Who were the backups at QB to BJ when Leavitt was here?

The 3rd and 4th string qb's that year were Landi and Eppes ... the more apropos question would be who did CJL leave Holtz as a back up to BJ?  ;)

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,777
  • Days Won:  6

Evan Landi; but considering BJ himself was the back up to Matt Grothe that year not sure why that is relevant. CJL had Brion Carnes locked in that cycle who was the #4 DT QB that year and who knows how he progresses if at USF. Also Carnes was close to getting Ace Sanders to join him here that winter too. 

Instead CJL gets fired and Holtz pulls Carnes scholly to bring in Gunsby.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

Metallica's version was better.  

this man gets it

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  957
  • Days Won:  1

The thing I'm not sure I like really is this idea that 2015 is the year Willie is on the hot seat and he has to win a lot or get fired. Based on what the QB situation looks like right now I can tell you that 2015 isn't exactly going to be a banner year for South Florida football. So why bother waiting?

I think rather you give him some time to work this QB problem out, until you sense the guy is just tragically inept when it comes to judging the position, recruiting it, and making start decisions. And admittedly, we're about halfway there on that.

Edited by ckparrothead

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

The thing I'm not sure I like really is this idea that 2015 is the year Willie is on the hot seat and he has to win a lot or get fired. Based on what the QB situation looks like right now I can tell you that 2015 isn't exactly going to be a banner year for South Florida football. So why bother waiting?

I think rather you give him some time to work this QB problem out, until you sense the guy is just tragically inept when it comes to judging the position, recruiting it, and making start decisions. And admittedly, we're about halfway there on that.

In my opinion, the problem with making the argument for keeping Willie around for another 2 to 3 years, for the long term turnaround, is the situation with the attendance.

If we had a somewhat stable fan base, one that Harlan could count on to provide about 30,000 in season ticket sales and another 10,000 or so butts in seats, there is no problem sticking it out

However, with an already disinterested, declining fan base where attendance is nearing all time lows consistently, Harlan has to consider what another year of boring, mediocre football will do to the interest level of the fan base long term.

If you have to wait another 2 years for the team to start winning or at least be entertaining, it will be at least another 2 years for the seats to start filling up.

In the big picture, Harlan's job is to create revenue for the University by selling tickets or raising funds. If he has to wait another 4 years for that, he was a waste of money too.

If Taggart could at least put an exciting product on the field so people could be entertained I think we could up with not winning for another year or two.