• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Its Time to Turn the Page on Willie Taggart

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

You are probably correct about needing to keep Taggart on board, but although the win total has improved, the overall team play has not improved and is probably regressing.

Actually, I don't think you realize the improvement... probably because, like many of us, we had higher expectations... and we don't really remember how bad our team was last year.

I would agree defensively we have not improved (we're not #21 in the nation).... but look at a few statistics.

Wins have doubled from 2 to 4

Points scored: 165 total in 12 games last year (13.75 ppg) / 186 in 10 games this year (18.6 ppg)

Points allowed: 343 total in 12 games last year (28.58 ppg) / 277 in 10 games this year (27.7 ppg)

The offensive stats are better as well (but ESPN is not updated with tonight's game, so I can't illustrated them).

Take out the 36 poings against Western Carolina and what is it? 15.5? So we've improved 2 points per game? That's not enough of an improvement when you're talking about being that LOW last year.

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

Some people are never satisfied. We won, it wasn't pretty but we won. Please tell me what you would have done differently this game to make it better as a coach? He didn't Chop block anyone, fumble any balls or muff any kicks. The game plan was adjusted after the half and the players executed. I can honestly say it's been about execution the majority of our games. Critiquing is ok but don't complain about everything, it's not good for your health.

How about the coaching decision to start Quinton Flowers? Is that not on him?

Nah, it was only done after bulls pen members calling for him,

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

Some people are never satisfied. We won, it wasn't pretty but we won. Please tell me what you would have done differently this game to make it better as a coach? He didn't Chop block anyone, fumble any balls or muff any kicks. The game plan was adjusted after the half and the players executed. I can honestly say it's been about execution the majority of our games. Critiquing is ok but don't complain about everything, it's not good for your health.

How about the coaching decision to start Quinton Flowers? Is that not on him?

Nah, it was only done after bulls pen members calling for him,

Taggart can be the AAC coach of the year

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,612
  • Days Won:  51

R.I.P Willie Taggart (2013-2014)

As shocked as I was that USF lost to McNeese State to open the Willie Taggart era, its become clear after the Bulls 14-13 win at winless SMU that this Bulls team has gotten worse since their first loss to an FCS team. Don't be fooled by the score - this team is bad, historically bad. Coach Taggart has shown an inability to develop players, specifically quarterbacks, and his stubbornness to stick with an offensive gameplan that doesn't mesh with his personnel will ultimately be his downfall.

Scoring 14 points against the worst defense in FBS is the latest in a long line of offensively embarrassing performances Bulls fans have seen over the last two years. Taggart was hired to turn the program around after Skip Holtz's departure, but instead has driven the Bulls to new lows. Every SMU opponent has scored at least 38 points this season, except for the Bulls. No matter what quarterback Taggart has put on the field this year each has been inept. The common denominator is Willie Taggart.

While many Taggart supporters, at least those that are left, will say USF cannot afford to pay off another coach. But with a weak 2015 home schedule and no hope of any improvement for next season Athletic Director Mark Harlan will have to weigh how much money will be lost by retaining Taggart as USF encounters a rapidly shrinking fan base.

On its current path USF will have to begin to worry about meeting FBS requirements for attendance or face relegation later in the decade to the FCS sub-division. USF doesn't have the generations of fans that many other schools have that will stick around for a long stretch of lean years. While the idea of being forced to FCS seems impossible, so were the prospects of losing to McNeese State and SMU.

Having Willie Taggart as head coach has taught us all that anything can happen and its usually bad.

You're an idiot... 100% improvement from last year.

You're an idiot if you think this is 100% improvement from last year.

I thought going into the season we would win 4 games, maybe 5 at most. We are way better than season. Did people forget how pitiful we were. We may not have a lot of wins but have been in the game for most of our losses. Last season wouldn't of happened. Our team is young playing so many frosh/Soph. Can't expect to be a dominant team in the 2nd season. Yeah I always don't agree with all of his decisions but we are going in the right direction. If we don't keep moving forward then it's a problem but I am fine this season will all of the other improvements.

Last year we beat UCONN and Cincy (because they played their worst game in probably a decade)

This year, we've beaten 3 UCONNs and 1 worse than UCONN. There is an improvement in the win column, but I can't sit here and say without a doubt this team is much better than last year. 

We were able to find a way to beat a bottom 5 team in all of college football last year. We've now found a way to do it 3 times. We will know we are headed in the right direction when/if we beat a respectable team. I'm not holding my breath on that.

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,612
  • Days Won:  51

People who think CWT will be fired are completely delusional ... (note, I didn't say "should be fired"... I said "will be fired"... "should" implies opinion, "will" implies fact)

He will NOT be fired.  USF cannot afford to pay for THREE HEAD COACHES AT THE SAME TIME.  In 2015, Holtz has one more year of his buyout.  Firing CWT means paying HIS buyout... then paying the salary for another coach.

It may be ugly... but 4 wins are double last year... and more than Skip's last year...

It may not be fast enough for some people... but the team is improving.

Harlan is not going to fire CWT when he is making progress, and we can't really afford it anyway.

Tell us how much money USF is losing in ticket sales, merchandising, donations, etc. along with intangibles of public opinion, etc.? USF has never made money on football, only about 20 programs do. Are donors going to cough up money next year for this mess or donate more for a change? You have to think  outside the box and not just at one cost factor and take into effect that football straight up is a loss leader that's undertaken not for income but for advertising to donors and potential students.

Donors already had to cough up to get Taggart... hard to go back and ask them to pay to get rid of him... especially when we have to start paying "full cost of attendance" for student athletes.

Sorry, but USF has to factor the costs... and weigh it against the improvement.

broken-record2.gif

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

Since we got in late from the game last night it is hard to catch up on all the posts.  Taggart is horrendous.  He starts a kid that isn't ready at QB.  How much was he not ready? Had about 16 plays on his wrist band.  So if you think you saw the same plays over and over again you would be correct.  You weren't watching Groundhog Day.  Had to bring the QB coach from the box to the sideline to babysit him.

His game management?  On that last touchdown play, yes the one on 4th down, he was signalling in for White to spike the ball.  White luckily questioned it and got a play in from one of the other QBs on the sideline.  Running the ball on 3rd was just plain dumb but I guess if you think it is 2nd down that might explain things.

We were fortunate enough to be asked to sit in the ADs suite so didn't have to sit out in that mess.  The AD went down to the field at the half.  Wasn't happy.  The President stayed in the box and even after we won there was no great joy.  We stood outside the stadium after the game at the team buses.  Not one smile on any kid.  Not one.  The D coordinator stopped briefly and said a win is a win.  I'm not too sure the people above the coaches see it that way.  Taggart has lost this team.  He may or may not be back next year.  If he is back it is because of $$$.  Learned that Harlan has a bit of a background in football and coached some.  When he watches this mess he understands.

You guys can talk about a better record this year.  People that know football know that this team has improved little in two years. 

I'm glad you got to confirm what many of us already thought, CWT is in over his head. I am glad the admin know this, I hope they can make the change asap.

Since we got in late from the game last night it is hard to catch up on all the posts.  Taggart is horrendous.  He starts a kid that isn't ready at QB.  How much was he not ready? Had about 16 plays on his wrist band.  So if you think you saw the same plays over and over again you would be correct.  You weren't watching Groundhog Day.  Had to bring the QB coach from the box to the sideline to babysit him.

His game management?  On that last touchdown play, yes the one on 4th down, he was signalling in for White to spike the ball.  White luckily questioned it and got a play in from one of the other QBs on the sideline.  Running the ball on 3rd was just plain dumb but I guess if you think it is 2nd down that might explain things.

We were fortunate enough to be asked to sit in the ADs suite so didn't have to sit out in that mess.  The AD went down to the field at the half.  Wasn't happy.  The President stayed in the box and even after we won there was no great joy.  We stood outside the stadium after the game at the team buses.  Not one smile on any kid.  Not one.  The D coordinator stopped briefly and said a win is a win.  I'm not too sure the people above the coaches see it that way.  Taggart has lost this team.  He may or may not be back next year.  If he is back it is because of $$$.  Learned that Harlan has a bit of a background in football and coached some.  When he watches this mess he understands.

You guys can talk about a better record this year.  People that know football know that this team has improved little in two years. 

Great insight, Cousin. Thanks for sharing.

Agreed. Thanks.

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  687
  • Days Won:  3

Very interesting Ricky...thanks..hope you guys had a good trip and will be at the hoops game today!

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Thank you as always for your inside info.  IF Harlan does fire Taggart I'm hoping he makes a hire on the same excitement level as the baseball and basketball hires.