• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF getting ready to pay for full cost of attendance for Athletics

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,425
  • Days Won:  19

USF gets students to pay more for athletics…meanwhile USF is paying millions of dollars a year to current and former coaches. 

correct

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,706
  • Days Won:  108

Do the student's have to pay to get into any of the games (e.g. football, basketball, baseball, etc.)?

No.. it's all covered by the fees.

They can attend any home game of any sport for free.

...And use of the Bull Runner to go to the games.. and now discounted parking.. and other perks.

Why should they be paying if they have no interest in sports, or are unable to attend (IE: They are working to pay their tuition and FEES) those events?

Why should I have to pay a public school fee (tax)? I don't have a child in public school? Or my homeowners association dues, I don't use the facilities...

completely different situation.

taxes and fees are not the same.

Having an educated population is advantageous to a developed nation. In contrast, having college sports (poor product on field, paying previous coaches making money elsewhere) funded by the student population is rediculuous.

How is that different? I choose to live where I live, a student CHOOSES to go to USF. If either one of us doesn't like the situation, Thank God, we have the right to change it.

USF doesn't have a cost-effective program (and neither do most FBS schools). I don't support the irresponsible use of funds.

Neither does government, and we still have choices.

US is back-to-back World War Champions... 

USF still has yet to win anything of notoriety 

But if you want to play the "what have you done for me lately game", we haven't won since the 1940's.  Better than the Cubs but not many others.  Joking here. 

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,687
  • Days Won:  8

Do the student's have to pay to get into any of the games (e.g. football, basketball, baseball, etc.)?

...And use of the Bull Runner to go to the games.. and now discounted parking.. and other perks.

That actually sounds like a pretty good deal - roughly $250 and you get to attend any home game for any sport for 4 years, and you get to support your school. I would have an issue with the fees if there was no tangible benefit to the student.

What benefit does a student who isn't interested or can't attend games derive from paying for it??
You can ask the same question regarding any student fee.

Rec center fee

technology fee

lab fees

library fees

legal fees

All sorts of fees that students pay for and don't use.

Tons of students don't use the library or computer labs or campus printing enough to make up for the cost of the fee.

Not sure if usf has a legal center for students but some universities do give free legal advice and there is a fee for it and probablyrics used by less than 2%

Of students.

I am with the other poster. USF fees are in line with most other universities and usf doesn't charge for season tickets. If you don't like the fee structure there are other universities.

Edited by Gismo

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Rec center fee

technology fee

lab fees

library fees

legal fees

Tons of students don't use the library or computer labs or campus printing enough to make up for the cost of the fee.

Not sure if usf has a legal center for students but some universities do give free legal advice and there is a fee for it and probablyrics used by less than 2%

Of students.

I am with the other poster. USF fees are in line with most other universities and usf doesn't charge for season tickets.

All those things listed to hand in hand with education. Unless you think a school having a library is less important than sports.

My issue is with the fees, period. It's an epidemic at a lot of small schools FBS, FCS, Division 2, etc. Use student fees to support their attendance, benefits surrounding the games, etc. They shouldn't be needed to build immaculate venues for non-revenue sports. They definitely shouldn't be used to pay cost of living for student athletes.

The 500 bucks a year is a lot more than most are paying for their season tickets to begin with...

Just my personal feeling. I'll leave it at that.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Rec center fee

technology fee

lab fees

library fees

legal fees

Of students.

I am with the other poster. USF fees are in line with most other universities and usf doesn't charge for season tickets.

All those things listed to hand in hand with education. Unless you think a school having a library is less important than sports.

My issue is with the fees, period. It's an epidemic at a lot of small schools FBS, FCS, Division 2, etc. Use student fees to support their attendance, benefits surrounding the games, etc. They shouldn't be needed to build immaculate venues for non-revenue sports. They definitely shouldn't be used to pay cost of living for student athletes.

The 500 bucks a year is a lot more than most are paying for their season tickets to begin with...

• Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

Great. Student fees are paying for non-revenue producing sports... and coaches no longer working at USF.

An institution of higher learning is invested in producing entertainment. How profitable is USF athletics, anyways?

Are our degrees more valuable because Jimmy kicks a ball down the field? (remeber, we aren't Oregon or UF)

Do you really think Oregon and UF's degrees are more valuable because Jimmy kicks a ball down the field?

Actually yes. The cheapest and fastest way to improve the product output by a university is to improve the input. Recognizable and respected sports allow a university to do that. Not for the type of student joining our honors college or with a full academic ride but for the mid 70% or so of the student body. UF and Oklahoma are able to take fewer projects, fewer chances on kids who maybe are smart but not that smart and don't yet have it all together. The result is the output of their educational system is more consistent and thus more valued by employers.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,650
  • Days Won:  424

Why should they be paying if they have no interest in sports, or are unable to attend (IE: They are working to pay their tuition and FEES) those events?

Why should I have to pay a public school fee (tax)? I don't have a child in public school? Or my homeowners association dues, I don't use the facilities...

Having an educated population is advantageous to a developed nation. In contrast, having college sports (poor product on field, paying previous coaches making money elsewhere) funded by the student population is rediculuous.

How is that different? I choose to live where I live, a student CHOOSES to go to USF. If either one of us doesn't like the situation, Thank God, we have the right to change it.

We all have the right, but not all have the means to do so.

That's what scholarships and community colleges are for ...

So where can a student get a BS in Engineering in the Tampa while living at home?

Florida Polytechnic University

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,041
  • Days Won:  11

Who is Robert Sternberg? And why do I care what he thinks.

This is USF we are talking about. Not O(k)SU. Our situation is much closer to Ohio Univ.

Oklahoma State University student athletic fees don't go to intercollegiate athletics (AFIK it's prohibited by state law) If they wish they can buy a all sports pass for $250.

At Oklahoma University students can purchase season football tickets for $180. Men's Basketball tickets are $50, or a football/MBB combo is $215. All other sports are free. Again no student athletic fees can be used to support intercollegiate athletics.

http://bursar.okstate.edu/tuition-and-fees

Looks like some of the fees pay for a bond on there stadium and arena...does that not count?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,706
  • Days Won:  108

Rec center fee

technology fee

lab fees

library fees

legal fees

Of students.

Would you be OK with them raising tuition and discontinuing the "fees".  It is like a politician telling you they aren't raising property taxes but increase drivers license fees, gas tax, state park entry fees, etc.  I look at the total a student is paying.  How you parse that doesn't matter much to me.

Edited by CousinRicky

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,425
  • Days Won:  19

We all have the right, but not all have the means to do so.

That's what scholarships and community colleges are for ...

So where can a student get a BS in Engineering in the Tampa while living at home?

Florida PolyTehnic Univ.

:stirpot: