• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF getting ready to pay for full cost of attendance for Athletics

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,600
  • Days Won:  424

People going to Florida State schools and never looked elsewhere have no idea what a bargain USF is.  When we moved from NJ for our daughter to attend USF, in-state tuition at NJ schools was more than out-of-state tuition at USF. 

That doesn't justify making students pay for intercollegiate sports.

If they don't want to be forced to pay for intercollegiate sports, let them go somewhere else .. Everybody has a choice

That's a load of Bull dung!!

When did USF start conscripting students?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

People going to Florida State schools and never looked elsewhere have no idea what a bargain USF is.  When we moved from NJ for our daughter to attend USF, in-state tuition at NJ schools was more than out-of-state tuition at USF. 

That doesn't justify making students pay for intercollegiate sports.

If they don't want to be forced to pay for intercollegiate sports, let them go somewhere else .. Everybody has a choice

Sure, and we should stop funding the schools with taxpayer money.

The the schools would have a choice, too.

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  399
  • Days Won:  0

Mission
The University of South Florida's mission is to deliver competitive undergraduate, graduate, and professional programs, to generate knowledge, foster intellectual development, and ensure student success in a global environment.

Vision
The University of South Florida is a global research university dedicated to student success and positioned for membership in the Association of American Universities (AAU).

As Florida's leading metropolitan research university, USF is dedicated to:

Student access, learning, and success through a vibrant, interdisciplinary, and learner-centered research environment incorporating a global curriculum
Research and scientific discovery to strengthen the economy, promote civic culture and the arts, and design and build sustainable communities through the generation, dissemination, and translation of new knowledge across all academic and health-related disciplines
Partnerships to build significant locally- and globally-integrated university-community collaborations through sound scholarly and artistic activities and technological innovation
A sustainable economic base to support USF's continued academic advancement

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,462
  • Days Won:  25

Do the student's have to pay to get into any of the games (e.g. football, basketball, baseball, etc.)?

No.. it's all covered by the fees.

They can attend any home game of any sport for free.

...And use of the Bull Runner to go to the games.. and now discounted parking.. and other perks.

Why should they be paying if they have no interest in sports, or are unable to attend (IE: They are working to pay their tuition and FEES) those events?

Why should I have to pay a public school fee (tax)? I don't have a child in public school? Or my homeowners association dues, I don't use the facilities...

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  344
  • Days Won:  1

Do the student's have to pay to get into any of the games (e.g. football, basketball, baseball, etc.)?

...And use of the Bull Runner to go to the games.. and now discounted parking.. and other perks.

That actually sounds like a pretty good deal - roughly $250 and you get to attend any home game for any sport for 4 years, and you get to support your school. I would have an issue with the fees if there was no tangible benefit to the student.

What benefit does a student who isn't interested or can't attend games derive from paying for it??

Assuming we were a good athletic school this would be a bargain.  But we the truth of the matter is that we are still in that mid-major stage.  Athletics cost the University much more than they bring in.  So really, at the present, the cost of paying the fee is far outweighing the benefits.  No major sports conference titles.  A few decent teams (Golf, Soccer, Softball - all low attendance) but nothing in the major 2 revenue sports.  Simply put, if you didn't come in with an interest in USF athletics you aren't going to be leaving with one.  Starting the whole "we need more donors and money to foot the athletic bill, better make the students pay fees" cycle over again.

One might consider it an investment in the future in the hopes that we can one day be a major competitor and our brand will pay for itself.  The only programs that are currently in the Black in athletics are the big names such as (just to name a few) Michigan, Alabama, Ohio State, USC, Florida:  brands that sell themselves to large alumni populations that grew up caring about the team or adopted the team while attending. If we can generate positive results and competition, we get students and alumni to care about the team.  I always hear about the 2004-2009 teams that would always keep things interesting.  Maybe they didn't win championships, but they competed well and won some big games.  The fans from that era are diehards. They love the team because when they attended the team was great.

In short:  the students won't gain anything from this unless Athletics start producing wins where they matter most.  It will just pander to the athletic few who come here and make students even more embittered toward their athletic counterparts than they already are. 

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,462
  • Days Won:  25

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

That actually sounds like a pretty good deal - roughly $250 and you get to attend any home game for any sport for 4 years, and you get to support your school. I would have an issue with the fees if there was no tangible benefit to the student.

What benefit does a student who isn't interested or can't attend games derive from paying for it??

I paid for a lot of things at USF I had no interest in or ability to use.

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,424
  • Days Won:  19

Why should they be paying if they have no interest in sports, or are unable to attend (IE: They are working to pay their tuition and FEES) those events?

Why should I have to pay a public school fee (tax)? I don't have a child in public school? Or my homeowners association dues, I don't use the facilities...

completely different situation.

taxes and fees are not the same.

Having an educated population is advantageous to a developed nation. In contrast, having college sports (poor product on field, paying previous coaches making money elsewhere) funded by the student population is rediculuous.

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,424
  • Days Won:  19

I paid for a lot of things at USF I had no interest in or ability to use.

your tuition, classes?

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233