• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF getting ready to pay for full cost of attendance for Athletics

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

I am fine with the student fees as long as:

• The students are offered something tangible in return - in this case there is free admission to facilities and sporting events (whether or not you use it is irrelevant. I never stepped foot in the library when i went to college but I am sure some of my tuition went towards it)
  • The fees make up a small percentage of the total tuition costs - if the $250 number quoted earlier is directionally accurate that plays out roughly $30 per semester

I recently went on a business trip to India - now those people have rough lives and have something to gripe about. Trust me they aren't whining about student fees. They were more concerned about clean water, disease, poverty, and for the women its far worse. I will never complain about paying taxes again, let alone student fees.

I call bull scheit on that.

Well when you see a 5 year old crap in the street or watch a guys 8x8 brick house collapse on itself, you realize how important infrastructure is and government's role in providing the basics to its people. Trust me it changed my perception on alot of things.

I've lived among the people in places like that, or worse, that doesn't change my view of taxes in our country.  Student's paying 36% of the cost of intercollegiate athletics...is WRONG!!!

"According to its filings with the NCAA, USF Athletics relies on a $15.2 million subsidy from students: fees paid in addition to tuition. 

Each student pays $14.15 per credit hour plus $10 per term for varsity athletics. That's an average of roughly $444 per year or $1,776 for four years. It's greater than the $1,410 students pay for all on-campus activities and services and the $1,168 they pay for campus health care.

The $15.2 million student subsidy makes up 36 percent of the athletic department's budget, more than any other school in the six major power conferences."

2011 season

And you consented to it. Congrats.

Consented!!!  WTF are you talking about?

Holy ****, you were sold into slavery and forced to attend USF? My bad.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,650
  • Days Won:  424

• The students are offered something tangible in return - in this case there is free admission to facilities and sporting events (whether or not you use it is irrelevant. I never stepped foot in the library when i went to college but I am sure some of my tuition went towards it)
  • The fees make up a small percentage of the total tuition costs - if the $250 number quoted earlier is directionally accurate that plays out roughly $30 per semester

I recently went on a business trip to India - now those people have rough lives and have something to gripe about. Trust me they aren't whining about student fees. They were more concerned about clean water, disease, poverty, and for the women its far worse. I will never complain about paying taxes again, let alone student fees.

Well when you see a 5 year old crap in the street or watch a guys 8x8 brick house collapse on itself, you realize how important infrastructure is and government's role in providing the basics to its people. Trust me it changed my perception on alot of things.

I've lived among the people in places like that, or worse, that doesn't change my view of taxes in our country.  Student's paying 36% of the cost of intercollegiate athletics...is WRONG!!!

"According to its filings with the NCAA, USF Athletics relies on a $15.2 million subsidy from students: fees paid in addition to tuition. 

Each student pays $14.15 per credit hour plus $10 per term for varsity athletics. That's an average of roughly $444 per year or $1,776 for four years. It's greater than the $1,410 students pay for all on-campus activities and services and the $1,168 they pay for campus health care.

The $15.2 million student subsidy makes up 36 percent of the athletic department's budget, more than any other school in the six major power conferences."

2011 season

You're assuming he attended USF ...

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

2011 season

You're assuming he attended USF ...

Good point. He could just be coming to ***** about something that doesn't concern him at all.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,650
  • Days Won:  424

2011 season

Link?

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

Meh, who cares. USF is so much cheaper compared to some of the out of state schools I applied for. With these increases, it's still a great bang for your buck and doesn't change too much.

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,041
  • Days Won:  11

wait....they're paying fees for health care too? how many actually take advantage of that?

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

Meh, who cares. USF is so much cheaper compared to some of the out of state schools I applied for. With these increases, it's still a great bang for your buck and doesn't change too much.

I believe most students, and parents given the choice would rather have the $2,000 in their wallets.

Then they are capable of going to a different school that doesn't have the same policy if they are as outraged as you are...

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,706
  • Days Won:  108

I believe most students, and parents given the choice would rather have the $2,000 in their wallets.

Then they are capable of going to a different school that doesn't have the same policy if they are as outraged as you are...

Some are but many cannot.

wait....they're paying fees for health care too? how many actually take advantage of that?

Health care and other services are available to all students....intercollegiate athletics facilities and coaches are not.

Pretty sure there is a gym, basketball courts and indoor track upstairs available to everyone.  Think of it as a yearly gym membership.

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,425
  • Days Won:  19

College is a privilege, not a right

If the student is not happy, I hear the Univ of Phoenix has low athletic fees

Stupid argument...

Many colleges do it better; has USF given a strong return for the investment.

resounding NO

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,041
  • Days Won:  11

Some are but many cannot.

Health care and other services are available to all students....intercollegiate athletics facilities and coaches are not.

Pretty sure there is a gym, basketball courts and indoor track upstairs available to everyone.  Think of it as a yearly gym membership.

that's how I always viewed it, which was a benefit. I can say I never used the healthcare while on campus....had insurance, so it therefore was of no benefit to me. some fees will benefit you, some won't.