• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF getting ready to pay for full cost of attendance for Athletics

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,615
  • Days Won:  51

This is the new normal for the P5 schools. USF and the AAC have agreed publicly to do this in an attempt to stay in the top tier athletic programs in the country. I fully support this.

Last time I checked, USF and the AAC are NOT in the top tier athletic programs in the country

Funny, i thought we just won the natty championship in men's and women's hoops again.

This is the new normal for the P5 schools. USF and the AAC have agreed publicly to do this in an attempt to stay in the top tier athletic programs in the country. I fully support this.

Good for you....feel free to support the Bulls Club with much larger contributions of tax deductible cash!!!
Quit crying dude. You made your point, we don't need 500 more posts telling us how you feel. Life is full of choices, if you don't want to go to a school committed to top tier athletics then go somewhere else.

Edit: not trying to be a douche.

Edited by Sellular1

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

I am fine with the student fees as long as:

• The students are offered something tangible in return - in this case there is free admission to facilities and sporting events (whether or not you use it is irrelevant. I never stepped foot in the library when i went to college but I am sure some of my tuition went towards it)
  • The fees make up a small percentage of the total tuition costs - if the $250 number quoted earlier is directionally accurate that plays out roughly $30 per semester

I recently went on a business trip to India - now those people have rough lives and have something to gripe about. Trust me they aren't whining about student fees. They were more concerned about clean water, disease, poverty, and for the women its far worse. I will never complain about paying taxes again, let alone student fees.

I call bull scheit on that.

Well when you see a 5 year old crap in the street or watch a guys 8x8 brick house collapse on itself, you realize how important infrastructure is and government's role in providing the basics to its people. Trust me it changed my perception on alot of things.

I've lived among the people in places like that, or worse, that doesn't change my view of taxes in our country.  Student's paying 36% of the cost of intercollegiate athletics...is WRONG!!!

"According to its filings with the NCAA, USF Athletics relies on a $15.2 million subsidy from students: fees paid in addition to tuition. 

Each student pays $14.15 per credit hour plus $10 per term for varsity athletics. That's an average of roughly $444 per year or $1,776 for four years. It's greater than the $1,410 students pay for all on-campus activities and services and the $1,168 they pay for campus health care.

The $15.2 million student subsidy makes up 36 percent of the athletic department's budget, more than any other school in the six major power conferences."

2011 season

And you consented to it. Congrats.

Consented!!!  WTF are you talking about?

Holy ****, you were sold into slavery and forced to attend USF? My bad.

You're assuming he attended USF ...

Good point. He could just be coming to ***** about something that doesn't concern him at all.

More likely is that his kid goes to USF and was denied a walk-on spot for being not good enough. Seems like a too-specific bone to be picking on here....

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,425
  • Days Won:  19

Thanks. Interesting some of the stuff you didn't bother to reference ....

"It's about the newness of the athletics department compared to some of the athletic departments they compete against," said ESPN Sports Business Analyst Kristi Dosh.   (That's bulls schit!!)

Dosh points out that USF's alumni contributions have remained fairly stagnant over the years. In 2011, the school reported just $2.7 million in outside contributions. Florida State University (FSU) reported $19 million in the same time frame, while the University of Florida (UF) reported $42 million in donations.

But USF's place atop the AQ conference standings will soon change. Next year, UCF joins the Big East. Forty-six percent of UCF's athletics budget is comprised of student subsidies.

That proves our point TripleB,

USF is not raising enough from alumni/donations and is relying too heavily on students to fund sports. USF has NOTHING to show for it either. Meanwhile, UCF may be taking more from students, and if it weren't for their recent success... I would still call it just as (if not more) foolish.

First off, there is PLENTY to show for it. Secondly, have you considered what the alternative is?

I am fine with the student fees as long as:

• The students are offered something tangible in return - in this case there is free admission to facilities and sporting events (whether or not you use it is irrelevant. I never stepped foot in the library when i went to college but I am sure some of my tuition went towards it)
  • The fees make up a small percentage of the total tuition costs - if the $250 number quoted earlier is directionally accurate that plays out roughly $30 per semester
I recently went on a business trip to India - now those people have rough lives and have something to gripe about. Trust me they aren't whining about student fees. They were more concerned about clean water, disease, poverty, and for the women its far worse. I will never complain about paying taxes again, let alone student fees.

I call bull scheit on that.

Well when you see a 5 year old crap in the street or watch a guys 8x8 brick house collapse on itself, you realize how important infrastructure is and government's role in providing the basics to its people. Trust me it changed my perception on alot of things.

I've lived among the people in places like that, or worse, that doesn't change my view of taxes in our country.  Student's paying 36% of the cost of intercollegiate athletics...is WRONG!!!

"According to its filings with the NCAA, USF Athletics relies on a $15.2 million subsidy from students: fees paid in addition to tuition. 

Each student pays $14.15 per credit hour plus $10 per term for varsity athletics. That's an average of roughly $444 per year or $1,776 for four years. It's greater than the $1,410 students pay for all on-campus activities and services and the $1,168 they pay for campus health care.

The $15.2 million student subsidy makes up 36 percent of the athletic department's budget, more than any other school in the six major power conferences."

2011 season

Link?

see post #92

Thanks. Interesting some of the stuff you didn't bother to reference ....

"It's about the newness of the athletics department compared to some of the athletic departments they compete against," said ESPN Sports Business Analyst Kristi Dosh.

Dosh points out that USF's alumni contributions have remained fairly stagnant over the years. In 2011, the school reported just $2.7 million in outside contributions. Florida State University (FSU) reported $19 million in the same time frame, while the University of Florida (UF) reported $42 million in donations.

But USF's place atop the AQ conference standings will soon change. Next year, UCF joins the Big East. Forty-six percent of UCF's athletics budget is comprised of student subsidies.

That proves our point TripleB,

USF is not raising enough from alumni/donations and is relying too heavily on students to fund sports. USF has NOTHING to show for it either. Meanwhile, UCF may be taking more from students, and if it weren't for their recent success... I would still call it just as (if not more) foolish.

First off, there is PLENTY to show for it. Secondly, have you considered what the alternative is?

Dropping sports that only a small percentage of alumni, and students care about, or participating at a level that is commensurate with the financial support of the donors, and ticket holders.

UCF has more students than USF, so it's hard to compare unless you know the per/student fee.  Just because other schools do it doesn't make it right.  How about Tampa and Hillsborough county put a $2000/person fee on the taxpayers to support the Bucs.

correct on all fronts

Last time I checked, USF and the AAC are NOT in the top tier athletic programs in the country

Funny, i thought we just won the natty championship in men's and women's hoops again.

Oh, We? We as in NOT USF?

Pretty clear the dude said USF AND the AAC was not a top tier athletic program

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

2011 season

Consented!!!  WTF are you talking about?

Good point. He could just be coming to ***** about something that doesn't concern him at all.

More likely is that his kid goes to USF and was denied a walk-on spot for being not good enough. Seems like a too-specific bone to be picking on here....

Whatever. Dude is full of ****. No one makes you attend college. You don't like what they stand for, pick somewhere else. And save the "...what if that's not an option?" crap. We have something like 20 different schools to choose from all within a 7 hour drive from Tampa. What about kids living in Maine who get 1 choice? Or the Dakotas? Am I supposed to cry for them if they don't like the way the school spends their money?

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,041
  • Days Won:  11

Pretty clear the dude said USF AND the AAC was not a top tier athletic program

i think "the Dude" has been drinking too many White Russians again :D

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

I've lived among the people in places like that, or worse, that doesn't change my view of taxes in our country. Student's paying 36% of the cost of intercollegiate athletics...is WRONG!!!

The $15.2 million student subsidy makes up 36 percent of the athletic department's budget, more than any other school in the six major power conferences."

2011 season

Consented!!! WTF are you talking about?

Whatever. Dude is full of ****. No one makes you attend college. You don't like what they stand for, pick somewhere else. And save the "...what if that's not an option?" crap. We have something like 20 different schools to choose from all within a 7 hour drive from Tampa. What about kids living in Maine who get 1 choice? Or the Dakotas? Am I supposed to cry for them if they don't like the way the school spends their money?

It's a state university built and supported by tax dollars, it's purpose is education, not intercollegiate sports, which is a separate business). That $15+ million could be better spent by the students to pay back college loans and other expenses. Not all students are able to or can afford to go away to college.....that's one of the reasons USF is as large as it is. .
Not everyone can move out of Tampa and I think spending money on roads is stupid. What's your solution? Or do I just have to accept that since the overwhelming majority of the people in my city support it, I should just suck it up? Edited by JTrue

I've lived among the people in places like that, or worse, that doesn't change my view of taxes in our country. Student's paying 36% of the cost of intercollegiate athletics...is WRONG!!!

The $15.2 million student subsidy makes up 36 percent of the athletic department's budget, more than any other school in the six major power conferences."

2011 season

Consented!!! WTF are you talking about?
It's a state university built and supported by tax dollars, it's purpose is education, not intercollegiate sports, which is a separate business). That $15+ million could be better spent by the students to pay back college loans and other expenses. Not all students are able to or can afford to go away to college.....that's one of the reasons USF is as large as it is. .
Not everyone can move out of Tampa and I think spending money on roads is stupid. What's your solution? Or do I just have to accept that since the overwhelming majority of the people in my city support it, I should just suck it up?

HAHA! Dumbest comment yet.

Everyone uses roads... even if you don't drive. Any service (emergency, postal, or otherwise) -- benefits from it -- to service you. Terrible example.

-------------------------

A better example would be, not everyone is in Tampa likes the Bucs. So, why should we fund a new stadium for the Bucs.

Hint: we shouldn't