• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF getting ready to pay for full cost of attendance for Athletics

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Do the student's have to pay to get into any of the games (e.g. football, basketball, baseball, etc.)?

No.. it's all covered by the fees.

They can attend any home game of any sport for free.

...And use of the Bull Runner to go to the games.. and now discounted parking.. and other perks.

That actually sounds like a pretty good deal - roughly $250 and you get to attend any home game for any sport for 4 years, and you get to support your school. I would have an issue with the fees if there was no tangible benefit to the student.

What benefit does a student who isn't interested or can't attend games derive from paying for it??

I paid for a lot of things at USF I had no interest in or ability to use.

your tuition, classes?

I could list all of them, but this should cover it:

Everything except the Social Sciences building, the Marshall Center, the library, and any roads connecting these places and Fowler.

USF (and every other university in the nation) happily charges its grad students all of those same fees for a lot of things they're never going to use.

Edited by JTrue

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,462
  • Days Won:  25

Do the student's have to pay to get into any of the games (e.g. football, basketball, baseball, etc.)?

...And use of the Bull Runner to go to the games.. and now discounted parking.. and other perks.

Why should they be paying if they have no interest in sports, or are unable to attend (IE: They are working to pay their tuition and FEES) those events?

Why should I have to pay a public school fee (tax)? I don't have a child in public school? Or my homeowners association dues, I don't use the facilities...

completely different situation.

taxes and fees are not the same.

Having an educated population is advantageous to a developed nation. In contrast, having college sports (poor product on field, paying previous coaches making money elsewhere) funded by the student population is rediculuous.

How is that different? I choose to live where I live, a student CHOOSES to go to USF. If either one of us doesn't like the situation, Thank God, we have the right to change it.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,601
  • Days Won:  424

Why should they be paying if they have no interest in sports, or are unable to attend (IE: They are working to pay their tuition and FEES) those events?

Why should I have to pay a public school fee (tax)? I don't have a child in public school? Or my homeowners association dues, I don't use the facilities...

You're being punished ...

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,425
  • Days Won:  19

I see what you did there.

Who is Robert Sternberg? And why do I care what he thinks.

This is USF we are talking about. Not O(k)SU. Our situation is much closer to Ohio Univ.

completely different situation.

taxes and fees are not the same.

Having an educated population is advantageous to a developed nation. In contrast, having college sports (poor product on field, paying previous coaches making money elsewhere) funded by the student population is rediculuous.

How is that different? I choose to live where I live, a student CHOOSES to go to USF. If either one of us doesn't like the situation, Thank God, we have the right to change it.

USF doesn't have a cost-effective program (and neither do most FBS schools). I don't support the irresponsible use of funds.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

LOL

As for the fees, they support more than football, they also support all the gyms and intramurals, etc.

Just as with most student organizations, there is money made available from the university so the students don't have to pay.

As others have pointed out, you are free to go to any school you can get in to, so it's not "really" a punishment, haha.

If you go to college and don't partake in athletics, you're missing an important part of the body-mind-spirit development thing. So important, that Hans and Franz will be knocking on your door tomorrow at 5:30 AM...

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

That actually sounds like a pretty good deal - roughly $250 and you get to attend any home game for any sport for 4 years, and you get to support your school. I would have an issue with the fees if there was no tangible benefit to the student.

What benefit does a student who isn't interested or can't attend games derive from paying for it??

I paid for a lot of things at USF I had no interest in or ability to use.

So, you think that justifies charging others for things they won't/can't use??

It was a free contract, willingly signed by both parties, so yes.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,967
  • Days Won:  12

I'm all about it. hm says go. 

Great. Student fees are paying for non-revenue producing sports... and coaches no longer working at USF.

An institution of higher learning is invested in producing entertainment. How profitable is USF athletics, anyways?

Are our degrees more valuable because Jimmy kicks a ball down the field? (remeber, we aren't Oregon or UF)