• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

CWT's Bus: who's on, off, undecided?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

I am on the bus, I just really hope that he gives up running the offense and just focuses on the CEO role. I'm not talking about playcalling, I'm talking about completely. Hire an offensive Coordinator and let him do the work.

Paul Wulff was hired back in January to be Offensive Coordinator. I assumed he's been calling the offensive shots..

We had an offensive coordinator last year and Taggart still called the plays. Taggart will always be heavily involved in the offense, that's what he's "known for" and lives and dies by the great Power Run offense.

To start the year he did say he would not be calling the plays and leaving that to Wulff and our WR coach, but pretty sure before last week he came out and said he would have a bigger role in that moving forward.

To be on the bus I ask myself, do I see that power run offense being successful in the American and the truth is I dont. It is interesting the two times it looked halfway decent this year was against big 10 teams that had quality, albeit somewhat slower units. It isnt a big play offense as of right now and does not string enough plays together to get the 25-30+ points that are needed to be scored against our conference opponents.

Yea pro-style type offenses dont work in the American, just ask UCF...oh...wait

Let's not pretend that the offense UCF ran last year is even remotely the same to what has been implemented thus far under Taggart.

Pro style offenses work all over college football. The power run that we attempt to use on a weekly basis is only done by a handful of teams and for a reason.

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

Loving all the analogies! 

I am still undecided. There are signs that we are turning the corner, Saturday was a nice surprise!   

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,585
  • Days Won:  423

I am on the bus, I just really hope that he gives up running the offense and just focuses on the CEO role. I'm not talking about playcalling, I'm talking about completely. Hire an offensive Coordinator and let him do the work.

Paul Wulff was hired back in January to be Offensive Coordinator. I assumed he's been calling the offensive shots..
That lasted until the Maryland game when CWT took over and things got worse. He then said he would get more involved and we had the NCSt fiasco. I'm hoping the Wisconsin game was an example of him letting his OC be an OC.
You're the only one who is saying this that I've seen...what's your source?

I saw him calling plays in the Maryland game when Flowers came in. After that game he was quoted as saying he was going to be "more involved" in the playcalling.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/taggart-audibles-will-call-more-plays/2198354

Less than a month after relinquishing most play-calling duties to his offensive staff, Coach Willie Taggart said Thursday he'll have more input when the Bulls (1-2) host Connecticut (1-2) in both teams' American Athletic Conference opener Friday.

Before the season, Taggart tabbed coordinator Paul Wulff and quarterbacks coach David Reaves to be the team's primary play-callers so he could focus on managing other facets of the game.

But with the Bulls' offense ranking near the bottom of Division I in multiple categories including pass offense (113th), total offense (113th) and scoring offense (96th), Taggart said he needs to step back into the decision-making process.

"I'm going to be a little more involved in (play-calling)," Taggart said. "I think all our guys do a good job of studying and putting the game plan together and they rely heavily on each other. But I'm getting back in it and I'm going to help out a lot to try and do what we can to get our offense going."

Gotcha, thanks. I would note this doesn't actually say that he will be calling the plays game time...he's just involved in some way. Also I didn't notice him doing it for the Wiscy game (just his usual stony/creepy sideline stare), so maybe he's pulled out again.

It also said that he started back in AFTER NCSU, not before as indicated above .... Not sure where this creepy stare thing is coming from. To my recollection, when showed on the sideline he wasn't doing that.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

At least it appears there's some gas in the bus the past couple games. I'm cautiously optimistic he gets the engine running over the next few.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,585
  • Days Won:  423

I love the hardcore USF fan who tells themselves, "Happiness is a low level of expectation." As USF has continually gotten worse over the last 3+ years, the comments and outrage have gone from, "Can x coach ever get us into the BCS or win a conference championship" to the very meager "I saw a lot of improvement in the play calling that netted us 10 points."

Part of the sideshow of watching USF football has been listening to all the remaining fans try and rationalize in their head that what they saw on Saturday means brighter days for USF. At least the self-medicated brainwashing that occurs has been a lot more entertaining than anything we have seen on the field of late.

I am curious what the board's response will be if SMU awakens from their slumber and beats USF handily - insert newly lowered bar of expectation and rationalize success. And before you say, "There is no way we would lose to SMU", just remember we all said the same thing last year against McNeese State. Oh and by the way, SMU's last win, of any kind, was at USF.

It's what makes a message board go round ... The eternal optimists/rationalizers  to offset the resident, chronic ***** and moaners. 

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  135

I love the hardcore USF fan who tells themselves, "Happiness is a low level of expectation." As USF has continually gotten worse over the last 3+ years, the comments and outrage have gone from, "Can x coach ever get us into the BCS or win a conference championship" to the very meager "I saw a lot of improvement in the play calling that netted us 10 points."

Part of the sideshow of watching USF football has been listening to all the remaining fans try and rationalize in their head that what they saw on Saturday means brighter days for USF. At least the self-medicated brainwashing that occurs has been a lot more entertaining than anything we have seen on the field of late.

I am curious what the board's response will be if SMU awakens from their slumber and beats USF handily - insert newly lowered bar of expectation and rationalize success. And before you say, "There is no way we would lose to SMU", just remember we all said the same thing last year against McNeese State. Oh and by the way, SMU's last win, of any kind, was at USF.

For me, it is a more an adjustment that is balanced between realistic short, medium and long term expectations.

On Saturday, the team's progress was measured against my short term expectations. We beat the spread, didn't loose a conference game, and got Wisconsin's attention for a better portion of the game than I expected. Oh and I had fun.

At the end of this season I'll compare the team's progress against more medial expectations. How is player development progressing, overall wins versus loses and did I have fun?

At the end of next year, the team's progress will be weighed against my long term expectations. Do we have a well managed program that is recruiting properly, do the other teams in our conference truly worry about playing us, are we playing in bowl games and am I still having fun?

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

That lasted until the Maryland game when CWT took over and things got worse. He then said he would get more involved and we had the NCSt fiasco. I'm hoping the Wisconsin game was an example of him letting his OC be an OC.
You're the only one who is saying this that I've seen...what's your source?

I saw him calling plays in the Maryland game when Flowers came in. After that game he was quoted as saying he was going to be "more involved" in the playcalling.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/taggart-audibles-will-call-more-plays/2198354

Less than a month after relinquishing most play-calling duties to his offensive staff, Coach Willie Taggart said Thursday he'll have more input when the Bulls (1-2) host Connecticut (1-2) in both teams' American Athletic Conference opener Friday.

Before the season, Taggart tabbed coordinator Paul Wulff and quarterbacks coach David Reaves to be the team's primary play-callers so he could focus on managing other facets of the game.

But with the Bulls' offense ranking near the bottom of Division I in multiple categories including pass offense (113th), total offense (113th) and scoring offense (96th), Taggart said he needs to step back into the decision-making process.

"I'm going to be a little more involved in (play-calling)," Taggart said. "I think all our guys do a good job of studying and putting the game plan together and they rely heavily on each other. But I'm getting back in it and I'm going to help out a lot to try and do what we can to get our offense going."

Gotcha, thanks. I would note this doesn't actually say that he will be calling the plays game time...he's just involved in some way. Also I didn't notice him doing it for the Wiscy game (just his usual stony/creepy sideline stare), so maybe he's pulled out again.

Somewhere else he said he would actually be calling some of the plays.  Again, if you watch the NC State replay on TV, you'll see him with the playcall sheet calling plays for Flowers.

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  399

We had an offensive coordinator last year and Taggart still called the plays. Taggart will always be heavily involved in the offense, that's what he's "known for" and lives and dies by the great Power Run offense.

To start the year he did say he would not be calling the plays and leaving that to Wulff and our WR coach, but pretty sure before last week he came out and said he would have a bigger role in that moving forward.

To be on the bus I ask myself, do I see that power run offense being successful in the American and the truth is I dont. It is interesting the two times it looked halfway decent this year was against big 10 teams that had quality, albeit somewhat slower units. It isnt a big play offense as of right now and does not string enough plays together to get the 25-30+ points that are needed to be scored against our conference opponents.
Yea pro-style type offenses dont work in the American, just ask UCF...oh...wait

Let's not pretend that the offense UCF ran last year is even remotely the same to what has been implemented thus far under Taggart.

Pro style offenses work all over college football. The power run that we attempt to use on a weekly basis is only done by a handful of teams and for a reason.

In two years, when all of Taggart's 3 and 4 star recruits are upperclassmen with years of experience on the field this should be a top team in the conference in any event.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  980
  • Days Won:  2

Pro style will work but the guy is building from nothing. Imagine if we had guys who could catch.

What a concept....

.....Receivers than can catch.

.....QB's that can throw.

.....Defensive guys that can tackle.

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

Imagine if they had an offense like these kids played in high school. Noted recently by a color commentator, USF has a backward offense that often runs out of the spread and passes out of the 2 tightend T type formation.

Interesting to look at Harbaugh's offensive issues this season when he went from the power run his team was familiar with to a pass heavy offense and the team has struggled.