• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Voodoo Five column: "Dear USF Fans: It's Time To Give A **** And Show Up"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

BxGoWa_IIAIA4nL.jpg

This is a university were you will be shamed for not attending games or participating in traditions. They actually call people that have no spirit or dont participate in traditions 2%'rs

Shame on us that another university can out do our attendance with their students alone.

Texas A&M has had a team since 1894. We have had a team for less than 20 years. If you're trying to compare the two that's just ridiculous.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,686
  • Days Won:  8

There's absolutely nothing else to do in that town...

Plus they play in the SEC and had Johnny Football on their team the last couple of years. Recipe for big crowds.

Plus, this was in an effort to break the record and advertised as such.

I would be surprised if they didnt already hold the record.

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

If we're 1-3 we'll be rank, but no, not ranked

my thoughts too.

Edited by snarling Bull

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

I think the ones that care do show up. But there are several that were driven away 4.5 years when those in power (really in power), Woolard and Genshaft, botched the Leavitt situation (purposely or in their own incompetence) and forever altered the course of the program. And both are still there, Woolard unbelievably.

The only thing that has driven away the fans in droves is the lack of success. People love a winner and if this team was 12-0, 11-1, 10-2 every year people would be there and it wouldn't matter who the coach was. That 2007 sellout crowd against WVU wasn't there to watch Jim Leavitt.

Nope, we were there to watch the good football team coached by Jim Leavitt!!!

this

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

BxGoWa_IIAIA4nL.jpg

This is a university were you will be shamed for not attending games or participating in traditions. They actually call people that have no spirit or dont participate in traditions 2%'rs

Shame on us that another university can out do our attendance with their students alone.

Texas A&M has had a team since 1894. We have had a team for less than 20 years. If you're trying to compare the two that's just ridiculous.

True...but its as easy as one having PRIDE in their Univ...and while its harder for schools like USF and UCF to have that since most students don't have family legacies of generations attending their current school, one actually doesn't need all of that to have PRIDE in what they do, WHERE they go and to help GIVE BACK (heck, just by showing up/cheering) to their school.

It all starts with Freshmen...get them hooked...get them hooked for LIFE.

NOTE: The above is also UCF's biggest problem...especially since UCF actually enrolls more Community College Grads as Jr than they do Freshmen in a full calendar year...as new "Juniors" are much less likely to ever live on-campus, less likely to join Frats/Sororities/Clubs, etc...and are much less likely to have "school spirit", i.e. many still live at home...don't have as much interaction with others/on-campus as what underclassmen  have when they start out as Freshmen.

Edited by Knight_Light

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

Students should be embarrassed. I would be walking around campus saying, hey why were you not at the game!

Maybe they chose to see a drama production, or musical performance, or dance, or robotics, or forensics...maybe, and this is just me spitballing, they chose to support their university in one of its countless endeavors that aren't on a football field and are of infinitely more importance. I know the kids I worked with this summer for video game design at the engineering department don't give a **** about the football team and they aren't any less of a student because they didn't go. Neither were the students I worked with at the College of Education.

Maybe those kids should be asking you where you were when they were busting their ass for USF and you didn't go.

+100 Great perspective...we all love football, but there are other important things in life too. Hopefully many of our students are academically driven like JTrue describes.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,961
  • Days Won:  12

We can argue philosophically about going to the game but in the real world, we just need to acknowledge that this is a process.

We will get to a point where it's not a discussion any more and people will want to come not because it's just the right thing to do, but because it is THE thing to do. 

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5

MANY schools are struggling with attendance.  VA Tech had a long string of sellouts end this year and that's just one example.  Virtually every game is on TV or online.  There's a lot of competition for the entertainment dollar.  The Raleigh area has a very large number of transplants who couldn't care less about local college athletics...they still pull for Ohio State, Pitt, Michigan, etc. UNC and Duke are just minutes away, ECU about 1:45. NC State hasn't been relevant in football for a long time and we went ofer in the conference last year, but we still go sit in the broiling heat and humidity of September, driving rain, and the cold of late November.  Lord only knows what it would be like if we ever become a consistent top 25 team.

You guys will get there.  As many have said...winning cures just about everything.  Then it becomes THE thing to do.  So hang in there...talk it up with your friends, neighbors, and coworkers.  Wear your USF gear to the grocery store.  Fly your flags.

Looking forward to a good game Saturday.  I can't make the trip but there will be some Wolfpack red scattered around RJ.  Hope to see y'all back in Raleigh.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,461
  • Days Won:  25

BxGoWa_IIAIA4nL.jpg

they double our attendance.

and the other social events in that town are?

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,075
  • Days Won:  14

BxGoWa_IIAIA4nL.jpg

they double our attendance.

and the other social events in that town are?

Never been cow tippin? You're missin out