• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Voodoo Five column: "Dear USF Fans: It's Time To Give A **** And Show Up"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,424
  • Days Won:  19

Me and my wife have been at every game for several years now and we've sat there and cheered our Green and Gold hearts out even during these last few losing seasons. We've watched the attendance dwindle and dwindle and it's been upsetting but we can see and feel that things are changing. I've had friends in the past who would come to games with me when we were winning and they don't seem to have much interest now as hard as I try at times.

But for as small as the crowd was last Saturday the feeling in the stands was different than it has been at some of the games of the past few years, even when slightly more people were still showing up. You could feel that the fans that were there were really starting to believe in our football team again and that will be contagious. It won't happen overnight, but as the wins get more frequent that belief in the team will grow, and then it will spread. First it will be a few extra fans here and there, and then they will start believing again and they will spread that to a few more fans, then a few more. Things are starting to change and if you were at that last game you would know what I'm talking about.

We got extra tickets to the season opener and brought some extra family and friends. I just bought extra tickets for the UConn game for some family coming into town. My sister, who graduated from Florida Southern, she said after going to the season opener it made her wish she had gone to USF instead. People are starting to take notice, and they will come. 

Harlan has the right idea with putting a lot of focus on the students. They will be alumni at some point. It's not just about getting back the bandwagon crowd we lost when the team starting losing, it's also about inspiring new fans to get excited for us to start winning again. We have to win back the old fans, but we have to focus on creating the new fans too. Who knows, the new fans might be more likely to stick with us. 

It's very very very difficult to inspire new fans given the state of our program. I'll be honest, had I not gone to USF between 2006-2010 I probably wouldn't be a die hard fan. Being able to witness big games, against big programs, and winning consistently (bowl games) made me extremely passionate about USF football. Football games were fun/exciting on top of the tailgating. That counts for something. Had I started school in 2012 at USF and was a junior now and my first two seasons I've seen a 3-9 record, a 2-10 record, and a demotion to the AAC what is drawing/creating new die hard fans? Just going to USF doesn't give anyone the obligation to turn into a huge USF football fan.

I really like the work Harlan is doing getting students involved and all that, but at the end of the day when these kids that are trying to get into USF football and become die hard fans and walk out of Raymond James disappointed 95% of the time they go it's going to be hard to keep them coming back/becoming the die hard fan. We need to win football games and give these students/new fans a reason to want to be passionate about our football program. 

The VooDooFive crew (along with some here) disagree. Going to football games is the only way one shows proper support for their University regardless of their actual interest in the sport.

Reality says otherwise

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Me and my wife have been at every game for several years now and we've sat there and cheered our Green and Gold hearts out even during these last few losing seasons. We've watched the attendance dwindle and dwindle and it's been upsetting but we can see and feel that things are changing. I've had friends in the past who would come to games with me when we were winning and they don't seem to have much interest now as hard as I try at times.

But for as small as the crowd was last Saturday the feeling in the stands was different than it has been at some of the games of the past few years, even when slightly more people were still showing up. You could feel that the fans that were there were really starting to believe in our football team again and that will be contagious. It won't happen overnight, but as the wins get more frequent that belief in the team will grow, and then it will spread. First it will be a few extra fans here and there, and then they will start believing again and they will spread that to a few more fans, then a few more. Things are starting to change and if you were at that last game you would know what I'm talking about.

We got extra tickets to the season opener and brought some extra family and friends. I just bought extra tickets for the UConn game for some family coming into town. My sister, who graduated from Florida Southern, she said after going to the season opener it made her wish she had gone to USF instead. People are starting to take notice, and they will come. 

Harlan has the right idea with putting a lot of focus on the students. They will be alumni at some point. It's not just about getting back the bandwagon crowd we lost when the team starting losing, it's also about inspiring new fans to get excited for us to start winning again. We have to win back the old fans, but we have to focus on creating the new fans too. Who knows, the new fans might be more likely to stick with us. 

It's very very very difficult to inspire new fans given the state of our program. I'll be honest, had I not gone to USF between 2006-2010 I probably wouldn't be a die hard fan. Being able to witness big games, against big programs, and winning consistently (bowl games) made me extremely passionate about USF football. Football games were fun/exciting on top of the tailgating. That counts for something. Had I started school in 2012 at USF and was a junior now and my first two seasons I've seen a 3-9 record, a 2-10 record, and a demotion to the AAC what is drawing/creating new die hard fans? Just going to USF doesn't give anyone the obligation to turn into a huge USF football fan.

I really like the work Harlan is doing getting students involved and all that, but at the end of the day when these kids that are trying to get into USF football and become die hard fans and walk out of Raymond James disappointed 95% of the time they go it's going to be hard to keep them coming back/becoming the die hard fan. We need to win football games and give these students/new fans a reason to want to be passionate about our football program. 

The VooDooFive crew (along with some here) disagree. Going to football games is the only way one shows proper support for their University regardless of their actual interest in the sport.

Eh?

There's another way? Say it ain't so!

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

We had no problem posting good attendance numbers when I was there from 05-08, if we win people will show up again.

That's all it comes down to.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,705
  • Days Won:  3

Lets hope the greeks show up in force to makeup for last week.. 

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,686
  • Days Won:  8

BxGoWa_IIAIA4nL.jpg

This is a university were you will be shamed for not attending games or participating in traditions. They actually call people that have no spirit or dont participate in traditions 2%'rs

Shame on us that another university can out do our attendance with their students alone.

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

BxGoWa_IIAIA4nL.jpg

This is a university were you will be shamed for not attending games or participating in traditions. They actually call people that have no spirit or dont participate in traditions 2%'rs

Shame on us that another university can out do our attendance with their students alone.

they double our attendance.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

There's absolutely nothing else to do in that town...

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,705
  • Days Won:  3

We simply do not have that tradition because our football team is so young. It will come with time. I wonder how many students become season ticket holders after graduation each year? That is where we need to focus on improving our conversion ratio. 

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Plus they play in the SEC and had Johnny Football on their team the last couple of years.  Recipe for big crowds. 

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Plus they play in the SEC and had Johnny Football on their team the last couple of years.  Recipe for big crowds. 

Plus, this was in an effort to break the record and advertised as such.