• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Top candidates for NEW Athletic director

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

1. Reached out to TBSC chief Rob Higgins (#USF Class of '00) this morning to gauge his interest in AD position. He politely declined comment.

He may be part of the short list already, that would usually be why he would decline comment.  That's would be good news then.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

As much as I like the idea of Higgins, we are at a crucial juncture in the history of this University. We need someone from a P5 school with connections that can grease the wheels to get USF a seat at the big boy table.

Just like Mike Aresco secured us that huge CBS TV deal...

We need someone that can honestly sell USF.  If it were that simple, wheels can be greased behind the scenes.  We don't need to hire the wrong person to grease wheels.

Edit to add, we're dealing with egocentric oil magnates in Texas.  Dozens of these guys have hundreds of millions to multi-billion dollars.  USF has to sell USF on principal.  We're not going to be able to hire someone to handshake deal us into the B12.

Edited by Bull Martin

• Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

As much as I like the idea of Higgins, we are at a crucial juncture in the history of this University. We need someone from a P5 school with connections that can grease the wheels to get USF a seat at the big boy table.

Disagree with this completely.  Angelos came from UM to FAU and how did that work out for FAU?  We need a dynamic personality, we've had 10 years of dry, dusty, wonkdom.  We need the Tony Robbins of AD's.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

1. Reached out to TBSC chief Rob Higgins (#USF Class of '00) this morning to gauge his interest in AD position. He politely declined comment.

That means he's a candidate

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Thing is, I'm sure he has P5 contacts as well as NCAA contacts.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Just like Mike Aresco secured us that huge CBS TV deal...

We need someone that can honestly sell USF.  If it were that simple, wheels can be greased behind the scenes.  We don't need to hire the wrong person to grease wheels.

Edit to add, we're dealing with egocentric oil magnates in Texas.  Dozens of these guys have hundreds of millions to multi-billion dollars.  USF has to sell USF on principal.  We're not going to be able to hire someone to handshake deal us into the B12.

Bingo, bango, bongo. 

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

I agree.  We have to sell USF better than we have.  And that's what Higgins does.  If you think it's easy to get the college hockey finals down to Tampa twice in five years, you're dreaming.  In comparison, selling USF to potential new conferences and fair-weather Tampa fans is easy.  

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

What we DO need is a dynamic (i.e. dynamo/kid dynomite) leader of USF athletics. JMHO

Black_dynamite_poster.jpg

Raises an interesting question. How many D1 (non-HBCU's) schools have an African-American as AD?

Both revenue coaches for USF are black, wonder how many blacks will be on the shortlist?

Inquiring minds want to know...

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

Look. I like the idea of Higgins. I'm an alum of Jesuit and USF so I see the logic with this choice. My only concern is big time college athletics is becoming more and more like some secret fraternity and if USF doesn't have any connections on the inside no matter how good of a salesman you are it falls on deaf ears.

For all I know Higgins is connected on the inside from his work at TBSC and if that's the case I'll support him 100%.

Whatever happens I jut hope they get it right. We can't afford a bad decision.

Go Bulls!!!

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

Look. I like the idea of Higgins. I'm an alum of Jesuit and USF so I see the logic with this choice. My only concern is big time college athletics is becoming more and more like some secret fraternity and if USF doesn't have any connections on the inside no matter how good of a salesman you are it falls on deaf ears.

For all I know Higgins is connected on the inside from his work at TBSC and if that's the case I'll support him 100%.

Whatever happens I jut hope they get it right. We can't afford a bad decision.

Go Bulls!!!

I get your point, but I bet Judy also has connections and she is generally well-respected.  So I think there's a little more flexibility with the AD hire.