• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Top candidates for NEW Athletic director

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

What we DO need is a dynamic (i.e. dynamo/kid dynomite) leader of USF athletics. JMHO

Black_dynamite_poster.jpg

Raises an interesting question. How many D1 (non-HBCU's) schools have an African-American as AD?

Both revenue coaches for USF are black, wonder how many blacks will be on the shortlist?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Very good question.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

That means he's a candidate
How do you figure?

The theory goes that if he says no comment he might be interested. If he's not interested, he'd just decline interest instead of saying no comment.

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

I have no idea if he would ultimately want it, or if the university would ultimately want him, but as a USF grad who apparently has a strong connection to Tampa, I've got to imagine he loves even being thought of as a candidate.

I have no idea if he would ultimately want it, or if the university would ultimately want him, but as a USF grad who apparently has a strong connection to Tampa, I've got to imagine he loves even being thought of as a candidate.

Imagine if one of us were actually qualified to be an AD. I know I'd be on cloud nine to even be considered. I agree that he's probably pretty geeked about it. He and I both are c/o 2000, so I'd like to see him get the gig for that additional reason.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Imagine if one of us were actually qualified to be an AD. I know I'd be on cloud nine to even be considered. I agree that he's probably pretty geeked about it. He and I both are c/o 2000, so I'd like to see him get the gig for that additional reason.

That makes him like, what, 35? That's pretty young.

Would he be the youngest D1 AD if hired?

Not saying that's a bad thing, but somehwat unprecedented...

this blog post doesn't seem to have a date on it from what I can tell, so I'm not sure how old it is (edit: it's pretty recent.)

http://fbs.twcsecurityhosting.com/news/10035-the-rise-of-the-young-athletic-director

The rise of the young athletic director

This past hiring season was a boon for young football coaches looking for their first head coaching job. See Kliff Kingsbury at Texas Tech, Brian Polian at Nevada and P.J. Fleck at Western Michigan, among others. Now the same thing could be happening one spot up on the totem pole.

First-time athletic directors are getting younger and younger, people like Ross Bjork at Ole Miss, Danny White at Buffalo, who became FBS's youngest athletic director at age 32 last year, and Arizona's Greg Byrne, in his fifth year in the athletic director chair at age 41. A new member could be joining the young AD club, as 33-year-old Josh Brooks was named a finalist for the vacant ULM athletic director job along with UT-Pan American athletic director Chris King and UC-Riverside athletic director Brian Wickstrom.

Unlike White and Byrne, Brooks has an intimate connection with the school he is hoping to run. Married to a ULM alum, Brooks and his wife are both southern Louisiana natives. They met while Brooks was serving as a Warhawks graduate assistant from 2004-05, later working his way up to director of football operations from 2007-08. 

Brooks left ULM for Georgia in 2008, becoming the Bulldogs' assistant DFO and eventually rising to his current post as assistant athletic director for internal operations. He oversees the football program's scheduling, budgeting, travel, facility maintenance as well as athletic association duties such as the Circle of Honor and new employee orientation. He also oversaw the construction of new scoreboards at Georgia's football, baseball, softball and soccer stadiums. 

Brooks insists he is not looking for a job, just the job.

“This is not just another job,†Brooks told the (Monroe) News Star. “This is a job I care about, a place I care about and something I want to commit to and make a difference.â€

In his interview last week, Brooks laid out his vision for the future of ULM athletics: “I wanted to get across my vision and the positive belief in what I believe it can become,†Brooks said. “I wanted to get across my very aggressive mentality in terms of very aggressive with ideas and innovations and trying things and explain to the group that I won’t be afraid to take chances, just afraid to fail.â€

Should the Warhawks choose King or Wickstrom, Brooks will happily return to his post in Athens. For a fast-riser like Brooks, like Byrne and White before him, his future as an athletic director is not a question of if, only when.

Edited by gobulls83

Yeah, IIRC Joey Knight and Greg Auman exchanged tweets earlier today noting that he'd be one of the youngest if not the youngest AD.

Well definitely not THE youngest, but certainly close. As mentioned in the above blog post Danny White, athletic director at Buffalo, is the youngest. He is 32. Higgins is either 34 or 35. In a very brief Google search, I couldn't find any others younger than Higgins, but that doesn't mean for sure they don't exist.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

How do you figure?
The theory goes that if he says no comment he might be interested. If he's not interested, he'd just decline interest instead of saying no comment.

Uh...couldn't it just be no comment and he's interested or not and...no comment?

How do you figure?
Uh...couldn't it just be no comment and he's interested or not and...no comment?

Sure. Could be. It's an art, not a science.