• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Top candidates for NEW Athletic director

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  958
  • Days Won:  0

I want someone that is experianced and knows the the ins and outs of the power 5 . Other words someone that had been sitting at the power5 table . Particularly the The Big 12 as an AD or assistent  or assosiate .

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  958
  • Days Won:  0

I am a Higgy fan, BUT go look at the Athletics staff directory, Assoc AD are a dime a dozen, being an Assoc AD gives you zero credibility for being able to perform the AD job.  Higgy is probably currently the #1 choice, HOWEVER this only happened late last week, lets give it a week or so to see what other names surface.  The names being put out there now are all a Crock and not one of those guys (other than Higgins) even gets a look, the media just needs someone to write about , AND the lack of knowledge and contacts  among those that cover USF plays a factor in the names being put out there.

The so called media picks are a crock . About  90% of the media is on the power5 band wagon .  When the M thinks of anything other than the 5 they think smalltime .  If anyone noticed that the main college sports outlets do not give the non power5  mention . They only list the 5 on there main page . It isn't just espin that is doing this . We need someone that can bust the power5 (so called) right in the chops .

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  94
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

I don't think Higgins is top choice... we want AD experience preferably at a Power 5 school with good track record. He seems like a great guy but unproven as if yet in an AD role.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  94
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

Key point being that someone has seen how its done right elsewhere, not someone with our culture ingrained. Someone with outside training to bring it to us.

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,116
  • Days Won:  7

If Joey Knight is a respected reporter he has listed his opinion:

The search is on

Potential USF AD candidates

Craig Angelos, USF executive senior associate athletic director: Highly experienced, including Florida Atlantic AD from 2003-12.

Pat Chun, Florida Atlantic AD: Before arriving at FAU in 2012, spent 15 years at Ohio State.

Tony Dungy, author, former NFL coach, current NFL analyst for NBC: An ex-Buc in this role is not unprecedented.

Rob Higgins, Tampa Bay Sports Commission executive director: Enterprising Bulls alumnus is deft in pulling off major projects.

Greg Phillips, IMG Academy vice president and athletic director: Previously associate athletic director at Oklahoma and Florida State.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/college/for-usfs-woolard-the-time-to-retire-is-right/2161630

Not sure it's a lot better, but there you have it.

I like Chun and Phillips's background. They would be quality hires. Phillips especially-he knows the athletic landscape here in Florida since he spent 19 years at FSU (until 2006). I know we said Higgins is a home run, but Phillips might just be a grand slam. 

• Topic Count:  554
  • Content Count:  14,411
  • Days Won:  13

Don't get me wrong. I would actually prefer that college football was what it pretends to be, something like it was decades back with true amateur student athletes. Instead, its the proving grounds for the NFL. The thing is that the NCAA tries so hard to make it seem like its not, but it really is just that. But with that being said, you have to treat the money programs like they are for athlete-students, not student-athletes, if you want to be competitive today. If you want to emphasize education of athletes, your program will be eaten up. And I expect 9 out of 10 of the P5 programs are breaking or turning a blind eye to NCAA infractions. Its what you have to do to compete. USF needs someone that's NCAA savvy. That's why I keep going back to a P5 assistant AD.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Tony Dungy, author, former NFL coach, current NFL analyst for NBC: An ex-Buc in this role is not unprecedented.

Rob Higgins, Tampa Bay Sports Commission executive director: Enterprising Bulls alumnus is deft in pulling off major projects.

You gotta be kidding!

Agree. I get that both are known, successful guys in the Tampa Bay area, but what do these guys know about running a college athletic department?

I also get that people want someone like Dungy to duplicate what Lee Roy did. Lee Roy's strength was in fund raising and promoting the program. He wasn't really a great AD. His only big time hire rivals Holtz as the most destructive hire to a sports program at USF.

Higgins brings a lot of passion and energy, but does he know the ins and outs of scheduling, compliance and all the other things that go along with running this kind of program.

I want the best guy for job. Not just the guy that people around here have heard of.

The interesting thing that I would like to see is the profile of what USF and their search firm is looking for.

Um... you do know that Higgins was an assoc AD at USF prior to his current position right?

Thats why I said " does he know the ins and outs of..." If he does and can run the department then great.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

A top P5 school to Assistant AD is what we need.

• Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  2,233
  • Days Won:  6

Higgins would be a huge mistake,  Not taking anything away from him, He is a great guy, Have done some work with him on the Sports commission side,  a few events brought to the area (NCAA) and  a Huge event We brought  and bring into the city as well on a yearly basis.(work with them (sports commission)and Visit Tampa Bay).  He is very personable and helpful but that doesn't make one a Good candidate to be an Athletic Director of a D1 school.   He has NO BACKGROUND in this area  other than being an Asso AD which many think  is a huge deal buts it not.  He currently has a staff of about 6 people he over sees and a much smaller budget.  These are not qualifications one need to become an AD at a D 1 school. 

Again not hating on Higgins but this would be a huge mistake (something USF may never recover from). We cant afford to get the next AD hire wrong or we will never be a so called Power school. 

Would I want him or someone like him on my team YES, but in a role like Marketing or Associate AD.

Edited by Dhambuc

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

To be fair, Dhambuc, "or we will never be a so called Power school." is a likely outcome no matter who we hire.