• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Top candidates for NEW Athletic director

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,026
  • Days Won:  469

If you are not suiting up to win, you shouldn't be suiting up.

I've never met a coach that coached for the love of the game, then again, the ones I have met were from a different era.  They loved the game, they really loved winning the game.

You play to win. 

Maybe coaches aren't as competitive as they once were. If they've been soccer-mommed since birth, I guess it could be just to go "out and your best (as you define it)".

I liked your piece charsibb.  Doug ought to use it if he is really involved in selecting his replacement.  :halfgrin

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

If Joey Knight is a respected reporter he has listed his opinion:

The search is on

Potential USF AD candidates

Craig Angelos, USF executive senior associate athletic director: Highly experienced, including Florida Atlantic AD from 2003-12.

Pat Chun, Florida Atlantic AD: Before arriving at FAU in 2012, spent 15 years at Ohio State.

Tony Dungy, author, former NFL coach, current NFL analyst for NBC: An ex-Buc in this role is not unprecedented.

Rob Higgins, Tampa Bay Sports Commission executive director: Enterprising Bulls alumnus is deft in pulling off major projects.

Greg Phillips, IMG Academy vice president and athletic director: Previously associate athletic director at Oklahoma and Florida State.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/college/for-usfs-woolard-the-time-to-retire-is-right/2161630

Not sure it's a lot better, but there you have it.

No, it's not.

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

Nicely said charsibb, I'd buy in.

I, myself, wouldn't. But then I play for a different reason. When I play, I play for the enjoyment of the game itself. Winning is secondary. If I was AD however, I would not run my department that way.One story - once in Kobe Japan I heard about a local group of foreigners that got together to play Ultimate. I like to play too, so went out to watch and maybe join them. The first time someone dropped the disc, 4 or 5 people surrounded them and got all in their face. This team wasn't playing for fun, they wanted to win the Japan Cup. Different goals, so I kept to myself and just watched.I think Doug may have been satisfied with coaches who just "love the game" more than they wanted to win.Jim wanted to win and overachieved, Skippy loved the game and underachieved, as have most USF sports.For our next AD, I want the school to take a new, more aggressive direction. I want an AD that wants to win, and will visibly and openly display their passion, energy, and commitment to make that happen. I want the visionary leader, not the competent manager. First we need to BELIEVE we can punch above our weight class, then we need to DO it.Just my $0.02

I think Doug was thinking student-athlete when hiring, not athlete-student.

• Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  2,233
  • Days Won:  6

Agree with you Slick, 

Doug cant leave quick enough, Hopefully Judy doesn't let him have any influence in  the new hire.  His past actions at hiring, raises and contracts are sketchy at best (See Skip and Stan's).   Look at his own contract ( based on performance tied to the coaches) It is a sweet deal, making him one of the highest in the AAC behind Jurich. yet he hasn't produced.

We need someone with Energy and  hits the ground running, The culture needs to change starting at the top on down, ( there are some good people in the Athletic dept that need to be retained)  but there are some that we wont miss if gone.

We cant go with someone unproven or unknown.  Too much risk for the benefit.  We need experience, someone who has been there , done that,  and wants to take us to the next level(Power 5).  Someone like Jurich from Ville(not that he is avail or we could get) or someone from Texas or with strong Ties to a Power 5 conference that can help get our foot in the door.

Out of the list above from Joey Knight the only one that looks intriguing to me is Greg Phillips( due to his ties with Oklahoma, FSU and IMG).  I Don't know much about him or if he is worth the look, but the others don't bring enough of the experience we need. Huggins seems popular but running a 6 employee not for profit is nothing like running an Athletic Dept.  Just don't think he has enough exp.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  94
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

I would like Tom Jurich. Not that it would ever happen.

• Topic Count:  602
  • Content Count:  16,378
  • Days Won:  43

Right now, Rob Higgins is the top choice for the AD. It is pretty much his job to lose.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,462
  • Days Won:  25

Right now, Rob Higgins is the top choice for the AD. It is pretty much his job to lose.

Do we know if USF has actually interviewed him?

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Tony Dungy, author, former NFL coach, current NFL analyst for NBC: An ex-Buc in this role is not unprecedented.

Rob Higgins, Tampa Bay Sports Commission executive director: Enterprising Bulls alumnus is deft in pulling off major projects.

You gotta be kidding!

Agree. I get that both are known, successful guys in the Tampa Bay area, but what do these guys know about running a college athletic department?

I also get that people want someone like Dungy to duplicate what Lee Roy did. Lee Roy's strength was in fund raising and promoting the program. He wasn't really a great AD. His only big time hire rivals Holtz as the most destructive hire to a sports program at USF.

Higgins brings a lot of passion and energy, but does he know the ins and outs of scheduling, compliance and all the other things that go along with running this kind of program.

I want the best guy for job. Not just the guy that people around here have heard of.

The interesting thing that I would like to see is the profile of what USF and their search firm is looking for.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

You gotta be kidding!

Agree. I get that both are known, successful guys in the Tampa Bay area, but what do these guys know about running a college athletic department?

I also get that people want someone like Dungy to duplicate what Lee Roy did. Lee Roy's strength was in fund raising and promoting the program. He wasn't really a great AD. His only big time hire rivals Holtz as the most destructive hire to a sports program at USF.

Higgins brings a lot of passion and energy, but does he know the ins and outs of scheduling, compliance and all the other things that go along with running this kind of program.

I want the best guy for job. Not just the guy that people around here have heard of.

The interesting thing that I would like to see is the profile of what USF and their search firm is looking for.

Um... you do know that Higgins was an assoc AD at USF prior to his current position right? 

• Topic Count:  479
  • Content Count:  1,991
  • Days Won:  0

I am a Higgy fan, BUT go look at the Athletics staff directory, Assoc AD are a dime a dozen, being an Assoc AD gives you zero credibility for being able to perform the AD job.  Higgy is probably currently the #1 choice, HOWEVER this only happened late last week, lets give it a week or so to see what other names surface.  The names being put out there now are all a Crock and not one of those guys (other than Higgins) even gets a look, the media just needs someone to write about , AND the lack of knowledge and contacts  among those that cover USF plays a factor in the names being put out there.