• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Top candidates for NEW Athletic director

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

Fair enough.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,972
  • Days Won:  12

I'm gonna play devils advocate and say all the sporting eventsthat Higgins brought are more a product of Tampa than of anything special about the man himself. Tampa is a good city and easy sell.

I don't like the idea of hiring someone based on accomplishments that are products of other factors. I'd rather use better metrics to guage one's MANAGEMENT skills as well as collegiate connections.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Here's the pic - pretty funny.

BeN2NCSCIAAUU3R.png

• Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  2,233
  • Days Won:  6

I'm gonna play devils advocate and say all the sporting eventsthat Higgins brought are more a product of Tampa than of anything special about the man himself. Tampa is a good city and easy sell.

I don't like the idea of hiring someone based on accomplishments that are products of other factors. I'd rather use better metrics to guage one's MANAGEMENT skills as well as collegiate connections.

Agree with This^   .  Don't F it up USF, the New AD cant be a mistake, it has to be someone to fix the years of Woolard's mess and years of falling behind.  We need a PROVEN  AD with a Proven Track Record (someone like Jurich from Louisville) or someone with Texas Ties to help the transition to the Big 12 when they expand again.

Edited by Dhambuc

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,972
  • Days Won:  12

Agree with This^   .  Don't F it up USF, the New AD cant be a mistake, it has to be someone to fix the years of Woolard's mess and years of falling behind.  We need a PROVEN  AD with a Proven Track Record (someone like Jurich from Louisville) or someone with Texas Ties to help the transition to the Big 12 when they expand again.

Everyone talks about the need for local fundraising. If the right hire has the right connections to help us in conference realignment, that problem will take care of itself. 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,022
  • Days Won:  469

Local fundraising does not require a local guy.

LRS was a completely different case than Higgins.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,603
  • Days Won:  424

Everyone talks about the need for local fundraising. If the right hire has the right connections to help us in conference realignment, that problem will take care of itself. 

I think it's just the opposite. This myopic view by some that our biggest need is someone with connections to get us out of here, to the Big 12 or whatever, is just plain wrong, IMO. You need someone who'll be able to make USF flourish where we are now, as distasteful as that is to many. Someone to tap more into local fundraising, create more of a local buzz for USF .... IF that's possible in this area. 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,022
  • Days Won:  469

That's a good debate.

Local money needed

National brand needed

I hope we (USF) aren't so myopic and defeated to think we can only take a crack at one or the other.  Sometimes typical.

We need to believe we are big time, we have a program to get back on track and sell to the country not just the 'Noles and Gators in Tampa.

We need a money raiser, but we need a strategist and a rainmaker.

This AD won't be able to nap, we need a highly productive guy to rehabilitate this program on multiple fronts.

• Topic Count:  602
  • Content Count:  16,372
  • Days Won:  43

That's a good debate.

Local money needed

National brand needed

I hope we (USF) aren't so myopic and defeated to think we can only take a crack at one or the other.  Sometimes typical.

We need to believe we are big time, we have a program to get back on track and sell to the country no just the 'Noles and Gators in Tampa.

And Trip, I know you aren't suggesting this.  But it's what I have seen on Fowler for decades. 

It will take some kind of miracle to turn this around. I am holding out hope that the big mess will get turned around. Wont happen overnight. Just wish Tampa Bay had better fans instead of all the fairweather bandwagon types. But it is what it is. Cant never give up hope. 

Edited by Bull Daly