• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Willie Taggart

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

I think the announcement will be made Dec.26 at the earliest, 27th at the latest.

If that is the case it makes us look like a Mickey Mouse program. Not one of the other big time programs does that.

Hire him and if wants to coach the bowl game let him, but let him start recruiting and putting his staff together. Waiting just puts us behind in creating the staff and with his recruits.

What if that's what WT requested? Which, if that's the case, I would respect the hell out of both parties for doing that. I fully understand it would put us behind in some regards but if you think Willie is THE guy, you accommodate him.

absolutely. and how far behind really? dead period starts in a week or two. have him make contact with recruits(honestly there are only a few worth saving) and I'm sure he can work to setup his staff from kentucky. I'm sorry but unless you are in a bowl there is very little work for a coach to do right now.

Announcing his hire, and still letting him coach the bowl game while openly working on staff and recruitment is one thing. Delaying any official announcement and contract until after the bowl game is a whole different story, and completely "mickey mouse" to steal from another poster. He can't possibly have legitimate conversations with DC and OC candidates if they don't know he's officially signed. You risk losing good coordinators as well as recruits by doing this (for what? a meaningless exhibition game that we aren't even involved in).

Really? I'm pretty sure there are a few behind the scenes converstions going on. Just because you and I are not privy to those conversations does not mean they aren't happening.

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

I think the announcement will be made Dec.26 at the earliest, 27th at the latest.

If that is the case it makes us look like a Mickey Mouse program. Not one of the other big time programs does that.

Hire him and if wants to coach the bowl game let him, but let him start recruiting and putting his staff together. Waiting just puts us behind in creating the staff and with his recruits.

What if that's what WT requested? Which, if that's the case, I would respect the hell out of both parties for doing that. I fully understand it would put us behind in some regards but if you think Willie is THE guy, you accommodate him.

absolutely. and how far behind really? dead period starts in a week or two. have him make contact with recruits(honestly there are only a few worth saving) and I'm sure he can work to setup his staff from kentucky. I'm sorry but unless you are in a bowl there is very little work for a coach to do right now.

Announcing his hire, and still letting him coach the bowl game while openly working on staff and recruitment is one thing. Delaying any official announcement and contract until after the bowl game is a whole different story, and completely "mickey mouse" to steal from another poster. He can't possibly have legitimate conversations with DC and OC candidates if they don't know he's officially signed. You risk losing good coordinators as well as recruits by doing this (for what? a meaningless exhibition game that we aren't even involved in).

Really? I'm pretty sure there are a few behind the scenes converstions going on. Just because you and I are not privy to those conversations does not mean they aren't happening.

I have no doubt he can, but he can't legitimately talk to recruits for USF, and if I'm a coordinator/coach weighing possible options, I'm likely not waiting around taking you on your word if I have another official legitimate offer from somewhere. I mean sure, maybe he brings his staff with him, or he doesn't lose someone, but even allowing that possibility to happen simply because you want to delay the announcement as to not "distract" from a bowl game is assinine.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3
  • Days Won:  0

As Bowling Green, KY resident and WKU grad school alumni, I've had the fortunate opportunity to watch Willie T for the last three years and see him grow this program beyond people's wildest dreams. When I moved here 6 years ago, from the Ft. Myers area, we were in the FCS to FBS transition and it was a tough road to say the least. Regarding Willie's 2-10 record his first year, y'all must understand he was working with a FCS roster trying to compete against FBS teams, not to mention those first few years (going back to the former HC) involved games with the likes of Nebraska, Bama, LSU, VT, UT, UK and USF to mention a few, simply for the payday in hopes of building this program up, so his record is somewhat skewed.

However, even in that first 2-10 season you could see the improvement and growth of this team, and by the end of the season the team resembled nothing of the same team that just went 0-12 a season before. Despite the record this year and the late season falloff this may be the best coaching job Willie's done in his tenure. A season after losing the nations leading rusher in Bobby Rainey, he used a two tailback system that still resulted in a 1600 yard rusher in Antonio Andrews and he also put together the 3rd best AP yard season in CFB history!

The recruiting is where Willie T shines, especially in FL, especially in y'alls area as you know. For those saying Bowling Green is middle of nowhere KY, that's not quite true. It's a vibrant college town about the size of Lakeland and only an hr from Nashville, but it's still quite a testament for him to get 20-30 FL kids up here no doubt.

You will have to offer him close to $1.5mil to leave because the WKU powers that be are prepared to go as high as $1.3mil to keep him. If no one offers him, I belive they'll put an extension on the table in the neighborhood of $1mil. It'll come down to would he rather be at "home" or at his alma mater. Not to mention $1mil in Bowling Green, will go much further than $1.5mil in Tampa.

I'll leave you with this, I'd willingly take him as the HC of my other alma mater Tennessee today, a job that most would agree is a few notches above USF. I've seen enough in 3 yrs to know this man can get it done at any level and he will make UF and FSU work their ass off in recruiting south of the coridoor. I don't want to see him go, but I can't blame him if he does, I miss "home" everyday.

Edited by bowlinggreenvol

• Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  1

what is his current salary?

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  151
  • Days Won:  0

what is his current salary?

I read somewhere that he is making 900,000 a year.

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

We paid Skip 2 mil so 1.5 shouldn't be a problem.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

Middle Tennessee Rick Stockstill $589,405

North Texas Dan McCarney $545,000

Florida International Mario Cristobal $497,183

Western Kentucky Willie Taggart $475,000

Florida Atlantic Carl Pelini $450,000

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

We paid Skip 2 mil so 1.5 shouldn't be a problem.

Doug Woolard:

"I promise you the salary for the next football coach will be just as competitive as it needs to be."

There are no financial obstacles in finding USF's new football coach, he said.