• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What has Holtz and Staff Done?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Lost a lot of Big East games.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,626
  • Days Won:  424

anybody putting all their eggs in woulard basket needs to understand that he has started at the position for 1 year of high school. I know a skills competition gets them gidy but a strong arm and quick feet are what we have now and our coach doesn't use him properly. scout says he has decision making problems and no pocket awareness. common for a dual threat QB. same as we have now.

We get it .... Not sure why you have to keep repeating this in every other thread. Why don't we just wait and see how he does when he gets here ... or are you going to be whining about this for a year?

• Topic Count:  215
  • Content Count:  1,777
  • Days Won:  0

Holtz has established more depth at various positions compared to Leavitt. But Leavitt got more out of the players. IMO neither Leavitt nor Holtz have done a good job at developing players on the offensive side of the ball.

Edited by Blackice12

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

anybody putting all their eggs in woulard basket needs to understand that he has started at the position for 1 year of high school. I know a skills competition gets them gidy but a strong arm and quick feet are what we have now and our coach doesn't use him properly. scout says he has decision making problems and no pocket awareness. common for a dual threat QB. same as we have now.

We get it .... Not sure why you have to keep repeating this in every other thread. Why don't we just wait and see how he does when he gets here ... or are you going to be whining about this for a year?

because hearing that things will be different when skip gets his guy in here is irritating. it's an excuse for the ineptitude of this staff. anybody who thinks our only problem is QB isn't watching. anybody who thinks a true freshman , who had 14 Tds and 10 picks and averaged less than 200 yards passing in his only year of high school football, will come in here and save the day is delusional. he will have to develop. it will take time. he has the same deficiencies that daniels has. it's gotten to the point where people are actually dumb enough to wish we had gotten brion carnes.

they will do the same **** thing to that kid that they are doing to BJ daniels. they will continually tear hm up for not living up to THEIR impossible expectations.he is no where near ready to be a BCS starting QB and I have no faith in this staff to develop or to use him to the best of his abilities.

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,041
  • Days Won:  11

Comparing one staff to the other is pointless. Leavitt and his staff are gone and not coming back. What matters most is how the current staff, and their team, perform relative to expectation. Losing 9 of your last 10 Big East games is unacceptable, and if you look behind the numbers you will see that the players Skip has had for the last 2+ years have not shown improvement and repeatedly make the same mistakes. And the arguement that these are CJL's recruits, not Skip's, does not hold water - Leavitt was not fired due to performance.

No, he wasn't. But it was getting close. Some of the big supporters were seriously pissed about that 31 - 0 debacle at Rutgers.

Well most of the larger donors I know are pissed at Woolard (as well Holtz and crew) for giving Holtz an extension. Remember that donors are not under contract, if that money starts to dry up, we are in big trouble.

I don't doubt that that is true. And it will have an effect on donors going forward. One of USF's problems is that we don't have that many large donors. And they are squeezing them. Overheard a conversation of one of them how he is getting tired of the constant contacts about giving more. At a football game, you can count the number of donors who give the $10K per year just by counting them on the small scoreboard as they list them. Didn't do it at the Rutgers game and probably won't at the FSU game unless it it totally out of hand by halftime. But my guess is we're talking about 50 - 60. And some of our large donors don't have any real ties to the school other than they live, or their businesses are located, in the area. Gonzmarts (Columbia Restaurant) come to mind.

I believe his daughter is an alum

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,041
  • Days Won:  11

I don't know what you expect from Holtz. The guy was the head coach of ECU ( I don't care what they did in ****** c-usa it's c-usa). I mean come on...did you seriously have high hopes for him because of his daddy? I never thought holtz was going to be anything special. Charlie Strong would have rocked but he went to Louisville. Good job Doug/Judy.

Here's how we fix this team next year:

Fire Holtz

Fire Lanaris

Fire our DC

Fire our AD

Keep Genshaft out of it

Pray that Woulard signs and start him as a freshmen QB next year

Pretty laughable but true :/

Fire Holtz

Fire Lanaris ???

Fire our DC

Fire our AD

Keep Genshaft out of it

Pray that Woulard signs and start him as a freshmen QB next year

If, after this season, we are 1 - 6 again in BE play agree that the coaches should go. But the AD's job is more than just the football team. The athletic facilities we have on campus now are close to spectacular. He was responsible, at least in part, for that. Our other athletic programs are doing well overall. Even the "fire Stan Heath" chants have stopped for now and basketball enjoyed a fine year last year.

After the craziness that was the year of Leavitt's leaving, I don't think anyone thought that the hiring of Holtz was horrible. I remember seeing Doug (AD) after the signing of Holtz and he looked like crap. He worked his tail off making calls, visiting coaches, doing is vetting and, when all was said and done, made a decision that seemed reasonable. Sometimes things don't work out. It wasn't from lack of research and effort.

He isn't a friend of mine so this isn't a personal defense of the man. But I did speak with him a bit about the process. I just hope that he has the cajones to fire a coach when it is called for. We may be getting close to that in baseball and, possibly, football (depending on the results at the end of this year).

More likely Skip will get at least another year after this with "his" QB and mostly his recruits. Although Skip could argue that his 1st recruiting class wasn't really his class. So even more likely, if Woulard comes in to be our QB, Skip gets 2 years after this to right the ship.

I agree with all of this, DW is doing a fine job in my opinion. Holtz looked like a very solid hire at the time. The mistake made in my mind was allowing him to bring in his assistants and giving him a ton of money to do it... it should have been... 'go find a BCS staff and we'll give you more money to pay them... if you bring in your guys from ECU, that's fine, but, we're not going to give you money to give them 50% + raises because they haven't earned that money at this level..

As for Woulard, I think the kid has nearly unlimited potential, but, he was 16 for 29 passing last night in a big loss. I'm going to try to get out and watch him later this year, but, from following his stats, he needs to be developed... has anyone seen enough improvement in BJ over the last 3 years to think that Holtz/Fitch/Vaas are capable of developing an elite talent at QB?

Regardless of what I thin, Skip will get 1-2 more years whether we win another game,e between now and 2014 or not, but, Doug Woolard should put some VERY heavy pressure on him to make MAJOR staff changes if we lose more than 4 games total this season.

FSU is going to make us look awful, I am scared. We also likely lose two more conference games. I can live with a four loss season and no changes. Beyond that, something's got to give.

except he'll be able to see over the line :D

• Topic Count:  33
  • Content Count:  1,719
  • Days Won:  6

giving Holtz an extension was the stupidest thing Woolard has ever done.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

giving Holtz an extension was the stupidest thing Woolard has ever done.

This.

• Topic Count:  42
  • Content Count:  228
  • Days Won:  0

Among other things, I am very disappointed in Holtz's recruiting or lack thereof!

Although he was able to get a quality WR and TE (Montgomery and Price), his recruiting on the defense so far is suspect at best (other than Bivins and Watson). Also, for all of the O Line he recruited a couple years ago, this area appears lacking.

In looking at this year's commitments, many of the Defensive recruits (Garcia, Wright, etc.) are projects at best. Holtz needs to recruit better players overall to our program!

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,626
  • Days Won:  424

because hearing that things will be different when skip gets his guy in here is irritating. it's an excuse for the ineptitude of this staff. anybody who thinks our only problem is QB isn't watching. anybody who thinks a true freshman , who had 14 Tds and 10 picks and averaged less than 200 yards passing in his only year of high school football, will come in here and save the day is delusional. he will have to develop. it will take time. he has the same deficiencies that daniels has. it's gotten to the point where people are actually dumb enough to wish we had gotten brion carnes.

We are so grateful, as a board, to have you here, dispensing Truth and setting us all straight ... of course, pointing out the "deficiencies" of a kid who's only been playing the position for one year yet was mentioned in the same vein as Cam Newton by those who know a helluvalot more about the position than you do (probably a stretch but still indicative of their thoughts on him) makes you sound like a **** fool ... but please, continue to enlighten us.

And I'm not saying he is the saviour, nobody knows yet .... but there's nothing wrong with a little optimism.