• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What has Holtz and Staff Done?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  197
  • Days Won:  0

Extension of Holtz seems like a poor choice now, hindsight is always 20 / 20.

Problem is, there does not seem to be a reprucussion for Doug. If I buy an expensive piece of equipment that turns out to be useless, or if I get into a bad lease agreement, my ass is gonna be in hot water from my superiors.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

USF has the option to terminate this year before his extension goes into effect if I remember correctly.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Problem is, there does not seem to be a reprucussion for Doug. If I buy an expensive piece of equipment that turns out to be useless, or if I get into a bad lease agreement, my ass is gonna be in hot water from my superiors.

I call the extension to Holtz as a bad one as soon as it was announced. He still had 3 more years left on his deal and had done nothing to that point on the field to merit that extension. This season was the fire or extension season and Doug false started.

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

USF has the option to terminate this year before his extension goes into effect if I remember correctly.

Whered you hear this?

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

Whered you hear this?

I looked it up I was wrong.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Holtz has established more depth at various positions compared to Leavitt. But Leavitt got more out of the players.

I'm not really sure that is the case. Leavitt and Holtz recruiting styles are completely different. Leavitt went after a bunch of guys that might be great players. Leavitt went after potential, while Holtz is looking for consistency and quality.

The result is that Holtz has developed depth because more of his guys are producing. Leavitt produced more players producing at a high level because the guys that hit, hit big. The downside to the Leavitt scenario is that if they didn't hit, they were likely a bust. There was a ton of turnover during the Leavitt years, and never any depth because so many players did not produce. On the other hand, we sent a lot of guys to NFL and had some great early season success until the players got injured and/or worn out.

So far, the results have been more or less the same just look different. There were plenty of games during the Leavitt era when we were blown out, plenty of big wins. That has happened a lot less under Holtz. Again, this is logical due to their styles. Leavitt is boom or bust, Holtz preaches consistency and patience.

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  5,591

Whered you hear this?

I looked it up I was wrong.

****, that would've been perfect.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,698
  • Days Won:  108

If your job was to buy 1 piece of equipment and that failed then, yes, you would be in hot water. But if your job included buying 40 pieces of equipment and 1 failed you would probably get some slack. The AD job is much more than just the football team although it IS the most visible. Eventually, if the football program doesn't click and the AD doesn't fire the coach, then his job will be in jeopardy. Don't think 2 years plus 3 games in will be enough to fire him (AD) at this time.

• Topic Count:  696
  • Content Count:  7,201

You guys remember Rutgers score from Leavitt's last season? 31-0. The year before? 49-16. Compare that with Holtz's three games: a one-point win an overtime loss and a loss where the game was tied with 3 minutes to play ... Not saying program's in a good place, but USF hasn't done well against Rutgers since the first time USF played them in 2005.

schiano is gone. no excuses for this loss and the way we let another lead slip away.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,698
  • Days Won:  108

You guys remember Rutgers score from Leavitt's last season? 31-0. The year before? 49-16. Compare that with Holtz's three games: a one-point win an overtime loss and a loss where the game was tied with 3 minutes to play ... Not saying program's in a good place, but USF hasn't done well against Rutgers since the first time USF played them in 2005.

schiano is gone. no excuses for this loss and the way we let another lead slip away.

Same defense though, not a whole new system.