• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What has Holtz and Staff Done?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

Greg in all due respect USF has not looked particularly good in any game coached by Holtz and staff. The one point win was almost a loss. Last seasons game was won and then lost. Yesterday the way the team played they were lucky to be in it at all. Yes Leavitt had no success against Rutgers either but his teams played hard and fast although with not much discipline. This staff has not put together even one solid all around game in my book even against teams that they completely overmatch. Holtz and staffs body of work reflects poorly and that is the bottom line.

IMO, I still believe this is a philosophical thing with Skip. He continually says that you just need to win by 1 point. Problem with playing to keep the game close is that with one turnover (or 5) you find yourself in a bind. He (OK, Fitch with Skips approval) calls plays and game plans to not lose games and to keep it close.

I have no idea if they can coach or not. You sure don't see a lot of progress from year to year in many of the players. But, then, I'm sure they don't teach Landi to have a ball go off his hands, Mitchell to have a ball ripped from his hands, BJ to throw behind Murray (live action I thought it was just a muff by Murray but the ball wasn't thrown well when I saw it on TV). I just can't believe they don't teach those fundamentals. So then you have to look at the players.

All in all this just seems to be a combination of game planning, play calling and performance. Tough to win a conference title with all those things going on.

How do you get from beating Notre Dame at their place 54 weeks ago to where the program is now?

I have heard Skip say that before as well... if he truly believes this then this is our problem...

Regarding training there comes a point when a player is a senior and is still throwing horrible passes into double coverage that said player should get benched, or re-purposed into another position.

Not naming any names or anything... :rolleyes:

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Greg in all due respect USF has not looked particularly good in any game coached by Holtz and staff. The one point win was almost a loss. Last seasons game was won and then lost. Yesterday the way the team played they were lucky to be in it at all. Yes Leavitt had no success against Rutgers either but his teams played hard and fast although with not much discipline. This staff has not put together even one solid all around game in my book even against teams that they completely overmatch. Holtz and staffs body of work reflects poorly and that is the bottom line.

You think the team played hard in the 31-0 loss to Rutgers? I watched that game. The team gave up before the game started.

You are way, way off base.

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574

You think the team played hard in the 31-0 loss to Rutgers? I watched that game. The team gave up before the game started.

You are way, way off base.

As I recall watching the game at capognas, the defense played hard and, got turnovers. Offense did, nothing and, bj pouted

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  335
  • Days Won:  1

I have seen all of the games since day 1 and I know for the most part those teams played better than the ones we have seen under Holtz. Yes on several occasions they were terrible and may have been ill prepared and even quit. But under Holtz and staff I don't think the fanbase has seen any reason to assume the team is on an upward swing. The players seem to be able to overcome what appears to be very poor coaching and stay in games but miscues, inept playcalling and repeated errors are leading to repetitive losses by a team that is supposed to be senior laden. Maybe this season Holtz finds a way but body of work so far points to another bowl season of Bulls needing tickets to a game to participate.

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

Revisionist history... Leavitt had plenty of EPIC failures. Pitt comes to mind.

Holtz is garbage so far

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  714
  • Days Won:  1

first loss to Syracuse

first win at Louisville

first win at Cincinnati

first win at home against Rutgers

first win against Miami

first loss at home against Louisville

first loss at home against Connecticut

first win against Notre Dame

first losing season since joining Big East

more accomplishments by Holtz and Staff

Edited by RG

• Topic Count:  33
  • Content Count:  1,719

Clemson, 2010 MCC bowl. was it a blow-out? no. but it was our only bowl win against an AQ/BCS team.

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574

we won that bowl game but had to hold our breath in the waning moments of the game that we were winning by a large margin and almost gave up

• Topic Count:  33
  • Content Count:  1,719

we won that bowl game but had to hold our breath in the waning moments of the game that we were winning by a large margin and almost gave up

how did Leavitt's teams perform against AQ teams in bowl games?