• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What has Holtz and Staff Done?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  335
  • Days Won:  1

Going in to season three:

Lost in terrible fashion

Defense is the worst the team has ever had. Too soft, no speed, no pressure

No complete games. Good offense, defense and special teams

Even our decent wins have been marked with flaws. Notre Dame no defense, Miami, luck at end, Clemson Bowl game defense almost let them come back, Nevada pure luck

I see no player development

Recruiting seems to be lacking.

Clock management terrible

We are not competitive in Big Least. Based on recent results it would not surprise if the team cannot win a conference game this season. Temple actually looks ok and Syracuse could light up this defense.

In summary, Holtz and company have taken team to a new level if that level is regressing and the fan base is going to show the despair with the program. FSU will most likely embarrass us this month.

And in an unrelated note would someone please tell President Judy that her ridiculous grandstanding at games is becoming disgusting. Last night in the box glad handing the crowd and first game with the band tribute is bush league. Be a leader and establish a direction for your sports programs or watch the money dry up.

Holtz needs to find a way to make this work or with this contract extension he will drag the program to a sorry depth from which it may take decades to recover. Unless USF wants to miss bowls each season and celebrate wins against 1AA's, and the UTEPs, FAMUs and Ball States of the world. Sad to say it but having seen UCF play against Ohio State they would beat our team this season. Not to mention when we have to play them once a year. Leavitt must be sad at the state of something he built and took such pride in (and no this is not meant to be a discussion of whether it was time for him to go).

I love my Bulls and am sad at what our team currently looks like.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

I am sad with the current state of the team, I see no hint of improvement and have seen regression. More and more people stay away from games and even giving away the tickets last night didn't help. I was here for the lean years for Just Missed and Banks and it didn't feel this bad.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574

I have never seen a team who seemed to play this lackluster for extended periods.

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  1,913

You guys remember Rutgers score from Leavitt's last season? 31-0. The year before? 49-16. Compare that with Holtz's three games: a one-point win an overtime loss and a loss where the game was tied with 3 minutes to play ... Not saying program's in a good place, but USF hasn't done well against Rutgers since the first time USF played them in 2005.

• Upvote 2

Greg in all due respect USF has not looked particularly good in any game coached by Holtz and staff. The one point win was almost a loss. Last seasons game was won and then lost. Yesterday the way the team played they were lucky to be in it at all. Yes Leavitt had no success against Rutgers either but his teams played hard and fast although with not much discipline. This staff has not put together even one solid all around game in my book even against teams that they completely overmatch. Holtz and staffs body of work reflects poorly and that is the bottom line.

Even in the Cinn road win the teams defense was porous. And that would be this staff biggest achievement so far.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,679
  • Days Won:  108

Greg in all due respect USF has not looked particularly good in any game coached by Holtz and staff. The one point win was almost a loss. Last seasons game was won and then lost. Yesterday the way the team played they were lucky to be in it at all. Yes Leavitt had no success against Rutgers either but his teams played hard and fast although with not much discipline. This staff has not put together even one solid all around game in my book even against teams that they completely overmatch. Holtz and staffs body of work reflects poorly and that is the bottom line.

IMO, I still believe this is a philosophical thing with Skip. He continually says that you just need to win by 1 point. Problem with playing to keep the game close is that with one turnover (or 5) you find yourself in a bind. He (OK, Fitch with Skips approval) calls plays and game plans to not lose games and to keep it close.

I have no idea if they can coach or not. You sure don't see a lot of progress from year to year in many of the players. But, then, I'm sure they don't teach Landi to have a ball go off his hands, Mitchell to have a ball ripped from his hands, BJ to throw behind Murray (live action I thought it was just a muff by Murray but the ball wasn't thrown well when I saw it on TV). I just can't believe they don't teach those fundamentals. So then you have to look at the players.

All in all this just seems to be a combination of game planning, play calling and performance. Tough to win a conference title with all those things going on.

How do you get from beating Notre Dame at their place 54 weeks ago to where the program is now?

How do you get from beating Notre Dame at their place 54 weeks ago to where the program is now?

For the most part Notre Dame beat themselves. Turnovers in the red zone and the USF defense was soft that game too.