• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What has Holtz and Staff Done?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  971
  • Days Won:  0

Some other positives . . . the teams's GPA has improved, we're no longer in contention for the Fulmer Cup, and the habitual losing is helping to forge some tight interpersonal bonds among the players. Now, let's all hold hands and sing the fight song. GB!

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Greg in all due respect USF has not looked particularly good in any game coached by Holtz and staff. The one point win was almost a loss. Last seasons game was won and then lost. Yesterday the way the team played they were lucky to be in it at all. Yes Leavitt had no success against Rutgers either but his teams played hard and fast although with not much discipline. This staff has not put together even one solid all around game in my book even against teams that they completely overmatch. Holtz and staffs body of work reflects poorly and that is the bottom line.

IMO, I still believe this is a philosophical thing with Skip. He continually says that you just need to win by 1 point. Problem with playing to keep the game close is that with one turnover (or 5) you find yourself in a bind. He (OK, Fitch with Skips approval) calls plays and game plans to not lose games and to keep it close.

I have no idea if they can coach or not. You sure don't see a lot of progress from year to year in many of the players. But, then, I'm sure they don't teach Landi to have a ball go off his hands, Mitchell to have a ball ripped from his hands, BJ to throw behind Murray (live action I thought it was just a muff by Murray but the ball wasn't thrown well when I saw it on TV). I just can't believe they don't teach those fundamentals. So then you have to look at the players.

All in all this just seems to be a combination of game planning, play calling and performance. Tough to win a conference title with all those things going on.

How do you get from beating Notre Dame at their place 54 weeks ago to where the program is now?

I agree. I hate the coaching not to lose philosophy.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  64

Skip has not done his job well. Recruiting is mediocre w/ a few nice players, they team is just not prepared IMO. What really sucks is if he ever starts to be successful here, it will probably be a short stay before he moves on because of name recognition. I never thought Chris Cosh was the answer for our D, but maybe he will get us playing better on D but I have a feeling this is going to be another crappy season.

• Topic Count:  79
  • Content Count:  1,261

Well, Leavitt made sure we actually played in bowl games.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

• Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

Skip has not done his job well. Recruiting is mediocre w/ a few nice players, they team is just not prepared IMO. What really sucks is if he ever starts to be successful here, it will probably be a short stay before he moves on because of name recognition. I never thought Chris Cosh was the answer for our D, but maybe he will get us playing better on D but I have a feeling this is going to be another crappy season.

This happens when you do not win. Holtz mentioned to Woolard that he would be more successful at getting better recruits if the recruits knew he would be there during their years at USF, hence the premature extension following poor performance. Holtz and crew would get better recruits through winning and winning ONLY, unfortunately he appears incapable of doing what he was hired and is paid handsomely to do........WIN! What will follow is a minimum of three more years of excessive losses, a lack of recruiting success, diminshing fan support, and losses to UCF before we are able to discard this small chip off an even smaller block. We're screwed!

Edited by hbryan

Wasn't that Bowel Movement asking the question in that clip?

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,013
  • Days Won:  38

I love the power run instead of going for 3 in a tight game with a team that cannot power run.

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,074
  • Days Won:  172

You guys remember Rutgers score from Leavitt's last season? 31-0. The year before? 49-16. Compare that with Holtz's three games: a one-point win an overtime loss and a loss where the game was tied with 3 minutes to play ... Not saying program's in a good place, but USF hasn't done well against Rutgers since the first time USF played them in 2005.

leavitt needed to go long before he did

but holtz isnt the answer

for me--his failure to bring a top qb from the start raised by eyebrows and failure every year since compounded concern

this program has grossly underachieved

we are similar to orlando school now

You guys remember Rutgers score from Leavitt's last season? 31-0. The year before? 49-16. Compare that with Holtz's three games: a one-point win an overtime loss and a loss where the game was tied with 3 minutes to play ... Not saying program's in a good place, but USF hasn't done well against Rutgers since the first time USF played them in 2005.

1. leavitt needed to go long before he did

2. but holtz isnt the answer

for me--his failure to bring a top qb from the start raised by eyebrows and failure every year since compounded concern

3. this program has grossly underachieved

4. we are similar to orlando school now

1. Disagree, I believe he could have eventually got us to the promised land, especially with a correction of his personnel skills.

2. Agree

3. At first we overachieved (prior to Holtz) but I agree that we have underachieved from Leavitts last year to this point.

4. Orlando school is past us this year, unfortunately. Thankfully we don't have to play them this year, it would be ugly.