• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What has Holtz and Staff Done?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

Well, Leavitt made sure we actually played in bowl games.

Say what you will but that anger and passion is what we are missing... sure he might have taken it a bit too far, but last time I checked none of the great college coaches are "nice guys" like Skip. The Nick Sabans, Mad Hatters, Tressells, Meyers, and such get fired up and in your face when you do something stupid. If BJD was on a Saban coached team he would had been bounced out very fast, not because of depth, but because these coaches don't tolerate inconsistency.

While I'm not in the locker room I don't see Skip as a bell ringer type coach that is getting angry with his under performing players and coaches... this Bulls team has a TON of talent, but is not performing because of coaching and lack of motivation.

In my view Skip is the Mark Richt of the Big East, and USF is the UGA of the Big East... just like Georgia, USF is picked to win it all almost every season because of the talent on their roster... but due to bad coaching and a lack of passion or whatever they fall flat on their face every season.

Edited by Bubba Bull
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

Say what you will but that anger and passion is what we are missing... sure he might have taken it a bit too far, but last time I checked none of the great college coaches are "nice guys" like Skip. The Nick Sabans, Mad Hatters, Tressells, Meyers, and such get fired up and in your face when you do something stupid. If BJD was on a Saban coached team he would had been bounced out very fast, not because of depth, but because these coaches don't tolerate inconsistency.

While I'm not in the locker room I don't see Skip as a bell ringer type coach that is getting angry with his under performing players and coaches... this Bulls team has a TON of talent, but is not performing because of coaching and lack of motivation.

In my view Skip is the Mark Richt of the Big East, and USF is the UGA of the Big East... just like Georgia, USF is picked to win it all almost every season because of the talent on their roster... but due to bad coaching and a lack of passion or whatever they fall flat on their face every season.

+1

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

mark Richt has how many 10 win seasons? yeah we wish we were the georgia of the big east. we are the kentucky of the big east. BJ would be dominant at kansas state under snyder. kid is head and shoulders better than their QB and the way they use him would put BJ in a position to succeed.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  332
  • Days Won:  1

All this talk won't end until we play FSU. Beating Ball State is nothing impressive. I don't mind losing, if I see that the players and coaches leave everything out on the field. As for Skip, no one ever got anywhere by being nice. Minus Tony Dungy,bit Skip is no Dungy.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,679
  • Days Won:  108

first loss to Syracuse

first win at Louisville (a)

first win at Cincinnati (a)

first win at home against Rutgers (a)

first win against Miami

first loss at home against Louisville (a)

first loss at home against Connecticut (a)

first win against Notre Dame

first losing season since joining Big East

more accomplishments by Holtz and Staff

The (a)'s I don't give a rat's butt about. Wins and losses are what's matter, not whether it is home or away.

To be fair, we hadn't played ND before (at least not since I've been following the team)? So hard to use that in a comparison.

We'll find out in two weeks about FSU.

And that bolded thing is 1 - 6. That seems to stand out more than anything else on the list.

Comparing one staff to the other is pointless. Leavitt and his staff are gone and not coming back. What matters most is how the current staff, and their team, perform relative to expectation. Losing 9 of your last 10 Big East games is unacceptable, and if you look behind the numbers you will see that the players Skip has had for the last 2+ years have not shown improvement and repeatedly make the same mistakes. And the arguement that these are CJL's recruits, not Skip's, does not hold water - Leavitt was not fired due to performance.

No, he wasn't. But it was getting close. Some of the big supporters were seriously pissed about that 31 - 0 debacle at Rutgers.

• Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

Comparing one staff to the other is pointless. Leavitt and his staff are gone and not coming back. What matters most is how the current staff, and their team, perform relative to expectation. Losing 9 of your last 10 Big East games is unacceptable, and if you look behind the numbers you will see that the players Skip has had for the last 2+ years have not shown improvement and repeatedly make the same mistakes. And the arguement that these are CJL's recruits, not Skip's, does not hold water - Leavitt was not fired due to performance.

No, he wasn't. But it was getting close. Some of the big supporters were seriously pissed about that 31 - 0 debacle at Rutgers.

Well most of the larger donors I know are pissed at Woolard (as well Holtz and crew) for giving Holtz an extension. Remember that donors are not under contract, if that money starts to dry up, we are in big trouble.

Well most of the larger donors I know are pissed at Woolard (as well Holtz and crew) for giving Holtz an extension. Remember that donors are not under contract, if that money starts to dry up, we are in big trouble.

I don't doubt that that is true. And it will have an effect on donors going forward. One of USF's problems is that we don't have that many large donors. And they are squeezing them. Overheard a conversation of one of them how he is getting tired of the constant contacts about giving more. At a football game, you can count the number of donors who give the $10K per year just by counting them on the small scoreboard as they list them. Didn't do it at the Rutgers game and probably won't at the FSU game unless it it totally out of hand by halftime. But my guess is we're talking about 50 - 60. And some of our large donors don't have any real ties to the school other than they live, or their businesses are located, in the area. Gonzmarts (Columbia Restaurant) come to mind.

• Upvote 1

Think of USF football like a business. As a fan you certainly invest time and most invest money. All of us as fans just want to see our investment improve and show growth. Unfortunately our leadership continues to struggle with the same things - getting their people to reach their potential and deliver consistent performance.

When you feel your investment is losing and losing and losing, at some point you are going to want to see a change, otherwise investors will leave.

Agree to some extent. People that don't have a personal tie to the school will look at it that way. You would hope that alumni wouldn't bail because of poor performance. Realistically there are only about 15 - 20 schools that have a legit shot at national championships year in and year out. If all the other school's donors bailed because they weren't winning championships it would be sad, IMO.