• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Should PSU get the Death Penalty?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  2,016
  • Days Won:  0

I think that the NCAA can punish PSU under eithical violations, but the death penalty requires a second violation within five years of the probation of the previous violation. So what would be PSUs first violation? Without a first violation the second violation (death penalty) rule does not come into effect.

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  511
  • Days Won:  1

Unfortunately this is the root of the problem. The "people" holding this much power will abuse it. Joe Patterno had too much power and influence. Football is their religion. They will do anything to protect it.

That is always the case. Power corrupts. When people in power break the law they need to go to jail. In this case jail is going to bring them the violations they failed to report.. That is justice! Let them see what its like to be abused and have nobody to defend them.

So what do you think should happen to Penn State?

I already stated this, but I did not go into all the details. They need to pay the victims. My guess is the figure will be 15-25 million per victim. I am fine with any monetary sanctions imposed by the NCAA and /or Big10. Should they get the death penalty, no. should they clean house and start over.... absolutely. Spainer, Schultz and Curley are the ones that agreed to the cover up. They will be held accountable for this. to our knowledge, the BOD were not informed of the situation. If it comes out that the cover up is more expansive than what has been reported to us, then I may reconsider. As of right now, paying over 150 million out to the victims and any additional sanctions should hit them in the pockets. I have a feeling their insurance company may find a loophole to back out of covering 100% of the settlements. D&O policies cover most issues, but criminal activity of this nature might not be covered. I am anxious to see how the settlements play out. We may never find out what % of it is covered by insurance, but I'd be shocked it will not cover 100% of it.

Before this thread, I have to tell you, I did not think that the NCAA had any business in this case.

I agree with you about cleaning house. It would be ignorant to think that nobody else was involved in a stretch of 10 plus years. Also the statue outside the stadium has to come down.

It is the fiduciary responsibility of the University to have controls in place. In the corporate world Sarbanes Oxley was created to keep checks and balances at all levels. Same has to be true for not only at Penn State but all Universities.

I agree 100%. SOX requires a multilevel approval systems to avoid these scenarios. While the organization might not be subject to SOX, the emails make it appear to have an organizational approval system in place. Curley made his recommendation to Spanier and Spanier as Chief Executive approved the course of action. Typically legal would be required to be involved with these type of decisions but they did not involve them, as a lawyer with bar certification would have had to report the incident to the proper authorities. The problem here is the individuals making the decisions where idiots. You hit the nail on the head, they did not fullfill their fiduciary responsibility to the university. The univerisity is liable for damages becuase of the positions these indivduals had within the organization. PSU can not say they were not aware of the situation as their main execs are the one the covered it up. Once anyone in the organization is aware of a situation, the organiztion is deemed aware..... they will pay for this. At least PSU is not claiming they are not liable. it appears they want to do the right thing.

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  511
  • Days Won:  1

Unfortunately this is the root of the problem. The "people" holding this much power will abuse it. Joe Patterno had too much power and influence. Football is their religion. They will do anything to protect it.

That is always the case. Power corrupts. When people in power break the law they need to go to jail. In this case jail is going to bring them the violations they failed to report.. That is justice! Let them see what its like to be abused and have nobody to defend them.

So what do you think should happen to Penn State?

I already stated this, but I did not go into all the details. They need to pay the victims. My guess is the figure will be 15-25 million per victim. I am fine with any monetary sanctions imposed by the NCAA and /or Big10.

I've got no problem with monetary payouts for the victims but there's no way they should be imposed by the NCAA. That's not their role .... Payouts should be a civil matter between the university and the victims when the criminal stuff is done.

I dont disagree, But I won't cry foul if they smack em anyways. I am just not for the death penalty on this.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Yes, and I mean permanently.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

This is how I truly feel about PSU......

http://youtu.be/YuPPA4wcj2Q

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Not fit to have/run an educational institution let alone an athletic program.

• Topic Count:  9,896
  • Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

By my read, this thing is far worse than the Miami scandal. I mean, Miami's deal smacks of a "lack of institutional control" (a lot of salacious details) but Penn State's crime is a complete intentional subversion of it. You have a coach, committing felonius acts on minor children, in the athletic facilities. Then you have a graduate assistant, the Head Football Coach, the Athletics director, the Vice President and the President of the University conspiring to keep the actual facts from law enforcement. They did it knowingly, by their own admission. They wanted to be "humane" with a known, child predator. And by doing so, while knowing that Sandusky was continuing his acts of pedophelia(he was taking young boys to PSU games) for 11 years after the fact, these parties condoned the continuing **** of young boys. The NCAA should go in there and shut down their entire athletics program immediately. I mean, who even knows what continues to go on there. We only know, that they seemingly haven't been able to EVER hire anybody that was willing to do the right thing.

yes but there wont even be a penalty

the coaches and administration are protected by ncaa in these situations

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

yes but there wont even be a penalty

the coaches and administration are protected by ncaa in these situations

Um, the coaches and administration have already been fired. The administration is likely to end up in jail. The administration and the school are going to end up paying many millions to victims.

The administration is going to pay a heavy price. But none of that is coming from the NCAA, because they have no jurisdiction.

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/09/emails-from-ex-psu-official-blast-paternos-atrocious-behavior/

Emails from ex-PSU official blast Paterno’s ‘atrocious’ behavior

Posted by John Taylor on July 9, 2012, 10:18 AM EDT

derrick-thomas.jpg?w=250 AP

Already expected to “very tough†on the legacy of Joe Paterno, the report from Penn State’s independent investigation into the Jerry Sandusky scandal could prove to be much, much more damaging than that.

In email exchanges obtained by CNN between Vicky Triponey, then vice president of student affairs in charge of disciplining students, and then-athletic director Tim Curley and ex-president Graham Spanier, Triponey laments the culture surrounding the Nittany Lions football program, questioning why Paterno would be permitted to keep serious violations of the school’s code of conduct private “despite any moral or legal obligation to†make it public.

In a subsequent e-mail to then-Penn State President Graham Spanier she is more blunt: “I am very troubled by the manipulative, disrespectful, uncivil and abusive behavior of our football coach,†she writes.

In the same e-mail, she calls Paterno’s behavior “atrocious†and said others are mimicking his behavior. “It is quite shocking what this man — who is idolized by people everywhere — is teaching our students…†she writes.

The emails also suggest that, after Triponey had attempted to discipline PSU football players outside of Paterno’s preferred methods, she was harassed and it was ultimately suggested she leave her post.

After Triponey tried to discipline football players in the same manner as other students, she was harassed both online and at her home, according to a source with knowledge of the investigation. On her front lawn somebody put up a “for sale†sign. Police installed a surveillance camera. In the end, the source says Spanier suggested she think about her future at Penn State, and she resigned.

The full report, which will come from the group headed by former FBI director Louis Freeh, is expected to be released in short order, perhaps as early as this week. Based on the reports that have surfaced in recent weeks, it appears very likely that the legacy Paterno spent more than five decades constructing will be in tatters.

That, though, pales in comparison to the hell Sandusky’s victims were forced to endure. And how a handful of the most powerful men at a university were (allegedly) actively involved in a systematic coverup of a convicted serial pedophile.

• Topic Count:  2,332
  • Content Count:  21,309
  • Days Won:  10

Answer: YES