• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Should PSU get the Death Penalty?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  511
  • Days Won:  1

Why punish the current student athletes for the wrong doings of morally corrupt leaders? This is the only reason why I am against shutting it down. If i am SMU, though, I am watching this outcome very closely. The NCAA made them the poster child forcorruption for a minor scandal in comparisson. Yes they were cheating, but they were not committing felonies and covering up for a deviant criminal. If PSU is not given a DP SMU should file a lawsuit against the NCAA for damages and lost revenue. I feel there is not other choice here. Its DP or the clostest thing they can get. The only other arguement I can think of, is these aholes are going to go to jail so why punish the entire institution for the acts of 5 people? I don't by that arguement as much as the first one.

So why did they just fire Tressel for not reporting a minor infraction and stop there ? But they then punished the whole OS football program for lack of institutional control did they not ? . This was caused by just three or four but they all are suffering for it . Besides this was an Institution cover-up . How much more out of control can you get ? Just saying .

If a member of the team does something to affect their eligility the whole team pays. That is the deterent for trying to stop the kids from accepting gifts. Here these kids enrolled in a school thinking that there was no criminal activity going on. The facade was able to stay intact untitl the chrages were filed. I am not by any means defending these scum bags. The insitution will be paying for the poor leadership decisions of the president and his idiot subordenates. That is why the BOD fired him immediately. This information was swept under the rug by a select few with the power to do so. They will get their punishment in a court of law. PSU will get their punishment for hiring these scumbags to make these decisions in civil court. In my eyes all guilty parties will eventually pay for their transgressions and be held accountable. There is no need to give a death penalty to the fans that were not aware of this and to the players that chose to go there. Nobody in their right minds would say, I want to route for Child Molester U, and no recruit would commit to that. The NCAA's job is to protect the purity of the sports it oversees and to protect the amatuer status of its participants. While the university is entrenched in a horrific scenario, their punishment will be handled in the courts. this issue is indirectly associated with the football programs day to day operations. If you want to give them monetary sanctions, that is fine. To take this out on their fan base and student athletes would be a bad move. If you want them to not gain $ from bowl games, TV contracts for a few years, that is fine by me. I do not think there should be any bowl bans as this effects the people that are innocent in this case... the fans and players. Lets keep the punishement to those that should be accountable and leave the ones that had nothing to do with this out of it.

Wow, just wow. The poor players who might have to transfer to a University that doesn't systemically harbor the lowest form of life.The poor fans who might not get to go to a bowl game during their college years, How horrible.

What about the terrified 10 year old boys who were pinned in the showers, basements and hotel rooms sanctioned by the Pennsylvania State University. What about the fact that their lives were ruined and that they will never have normalcy again. Those lives ended the day Jerry Sandusky found them. Now as horrific as that crime is, it pales in comparison to what comes next. When the boys reported the abuse, they weren't believed because, how could this hallowed man from such a prestigious University be capable of such despicable horror? Not only that, but he was able to form a boys charity because of his position in that hallowed institution. The charity where he carefully selected victims from troubled homes that were prime for his debauchery. Yes Jerry Sandusky was a sick and depraved man.

But you know what? Jerry Sandusky doesn't get the bulk of my ire. That is reserved for an institution and the staff that knew what Jerry was and what he was doing and hid it from public view. If ever there was a culture of corruption it existed at PSU. And for what gain. To protect their hallowed football program. Now, a university that knows the pain and suffering it has caused and holds itself to any kind of moral compass, immediately shuts down the football program and put's independent monitors in every other sport to insure the safety of their students. They bring investigators in, but probably should suspend all athletics in the interim. They wait for the result of the report from the investigators(due in Aug). In the meantime they do everything necessary to further protect young lives.

What did Penn State do?

1) 1998 Penn State university Police 1st interview Sandusky victim. No charges filed.

2) 1999 Sandusky allowed to retire - but retain full access to PSU

3) 2000- Janitor at PSU reports to supervisor that JS was having oral sex with young boy. Another Janitor witnessed JS leaving shower holding hands with the boy.

4) 2002- GA at PSU reports to Paterno that JS was having anal sex with 10-year old boy

5) By now the AD, JoePA, Univ VP and Pres all know what happened and the begin the coverup

6) General Counsel of The Second Mile and PSU has known about JS allegations since 1998, Sandusky is still allowed access to the University, it's FB games which he was using to lure victims and the freaking shower facilities, until when? 2011.

7) November 2011, victim goes public, Sandusky is charged. Paterno offers to retire after end of season.

8) Press tries to destroy the credibility of the GA who reported Sandusky

9) firestorm erupts and BOT fires everyone after huge public condemnation

Now we know

1. PSU attempted to save the legacy of their venerated FB coach who was likely orchestrating the coverup from the beginning.
  2. There is obviously a culture at PSU which will value football above children, human life and the law.
  3. They have hired a Public Relations firm to restore their tattered image.

But, maybe we should be worried that some coed won't get to go to a bowl game for the next couple of years. Yeah, that's the plight of some poor young student.How could we possibly take that away from them.?

Sorry you did not get my point. There is a community that is living off of this instituion. Everyday people who had nothing to do with this cover up. Some of these people have businesses that need the increased traffic from game day to survive the entire year. Lets face it, football is a large part of this communities economy. Do these people deserve to have their small businesses ruined becuase of these maggots? Have their family businesses close becuase they could not weather 2-4 years of no football? You have to understand that the solution is not as simple as you make it appear to be. The people identifed by the grand jury for covering this up will be brought to justice and they will pay the price. The institution will pay restitution to the victims. This MUST happen. Economic sanctions to the instituion is fine by me as well. Killing the football program will devestate this community. You just want it killed because its the most severe form of punishment. I understand that. Keep in mind, the BOD were not aware of this ( to our current knowledge). So far less than 10 people were part of this horrible cover up. 10 out of an entire community. Is this worth the devestation you are asking for? I think having these people behind bars is more important than going after a football program. If you were screaming at the top of your lungs to throw away the key after they lock them up, I would be 100% behind you. Make the decision makers accountable....... That is my point... An instituion comprised of thousands of people who had not clue this was going on will still be made liable for restitiuon in civil courts and settlements. I think that is punishment enough.

Edited by slbpsi63

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Why punish the current student athletes for the wrong doings of morally corrupt leaders? This is the only reason why I am against shutting it down. If i am SMU, though, I am watching this outcome very closely. The NCAA made them the poster child forcorruption for a minor scandal in comparisson. Yes they were cheating, but they were not committing felonies and covering up for a deviant criminal. If PSU is not given a DP SMU should file a lawsuit against the NCAA for damages and lost revenue. I feel there is not other choice here. Its DP or the clostest thing they can get. The only other arguement I can think of, is these aholes are going to go to jail so why punish the entire institution for the acts of 5 people? I don't by that arguement as much as the first one.

So why did they just fire Tressel for not reporting a minor infraction and stop there ? But they then punished the whole OS football program for lack of institutional control did they not ? . This was caused by just three or four but they all are suffering for it . Besides this was an Institution cover-up . How much more out of control can you get ? Just saying .

If a member of the team does something to affect their eligility the whole team pays. That is the deterent for trying to stop the kids from accepting gifts. Here these kids enrolled in a school thinking that there was no criminal activity going on. The facade was able to stay intact untitl the chrages were filed. I am not by any means defending these scum bags. The insitution will be paying for the poor leadership decisions of the president and his idiot subordenates. That is why the BOD fired him immediately. This information was swept under the rug by a select few with the power to do so. They will get their punishment in a court of law. PSU will get their punishment for hiring these scumbags to make these decisions in civil court. In my eyes all guilty parties will eventually pay for their transgressions and be held accountable. There is no need to give a death penalty to the fans that were not aware of this and to the players that chose to go there. Nobody in their right minds would say, I want to route for Child Molester U, and no recruit would commit to that. The NCAA's job is to protect the purity of the sports it oversees and to protect the amatuer status of its participants. While the university is entrenched in a horrific scenario, their punishment will be handled in the courts. this issue is indirectly associated with the football programs day to day operations. If you want to give them monetary sanctions, that is fine. To take this out on their fan base and student athletes would be a bad move. If you want them to not gain $ from bowl games, TV contracts for a few years, that is fine by me. I do not think there should be any bowl bans as this effects the people that are innocent in this case... the fans and players. Lets keep the punishement to those that should be accountable and leave the ones that had nothing to do with this out of it.

Wow, just wow. The poor players who might have to transfer to a University that doesn't systemically harbor the lowest form of life.The poor fans who might not get to go to a bowl game during their college years, How horrible.

What about the terrified 10 year old boys who were pinned in the showers, basements and hotel rooms sanctioned by the Pennsylvania State University. What about the fact that their lives were ruined and that they will never have normalcy again. Those lives ended the day Jerry Sandusky found them. Now as horrific as that crime is, it pales in comparison to what comes next. When the boys reported the abuse, they weren't believed because, how could this hallowed man from such a prestigious University be capable of such despicable horror? Not only that, but he was able to form a boys charity because of his position in that hallowed institution. The charity where he carefully selected victims from troubled homes that were prime for his debauchery. Yes Jerry Sandusky was a sick and depraved man.

But you know what? Jerry Sandusky doesn't get the bulk of my ire. That is reserved for an institution and the staff that knew what Jerry was and what he was doing and hid it from public view. If ever there was a culture of corruption it existed at PSU. And for what gain. To protect their hallowed football program. Now, a university that knows the pain and suffering it has caused and holds itself to any kind of moral compass, immediately shuts down the football program and put's independent monitors in every other sport to insure the safety of their students. They bring investigators in, but probably should suspend all athletics in the interim. They wait for the result of the report from the investigators(due in Aug). In the meantime they do everything necessary to further protect young lives.

What did Penn State do?

1) 1998 Penn State university Police 1st interview Sandusky victim. No charges filed.

3) 2000- Janitor at PSU reports to supervisor that JS was having oral sex with young boy. Another Janitor witnessed JS leaving shower holding hands with the boy.

4) 2002- GA at PSU reports to Paterno that JS was having anal sex with 10-year old boy

5) By now the AD, JoePA, Univ VP and Pres all know what happened and the begin the coverup

6) General Counsel of The Second Mile and PSU has known about JS allegations since 1998, Sandusky is still allowed access to the University, it's FB games which he was using to lure victims and the freaking shower facilities, until when? 2011.

7) November 2011, victim goes public, Sandusky is charged. Paterno offers to retire after end of season.

Now we know

1. PSU attempted to save the legacy of their venerated FB coach who was likely orchestrating the coverup from the beginning.
  2. There is obviously a culture at PSU which will value football above children, human life and the law.

But, maybe we should be worried that some coed won't get to go to a bowl game for the next couple of years. Yeah, that's the plight of some poor young student.How could we possibly take that away from them.?

Sorry you did not get my point. There is a community that is living off of this instituion. Everyday people who had nothing to do with this cover up. Some of these people have businesses that need the increased traffic from game day to survive the entire year. Lets face it, football is a large part of this communities economy. Do these people deserve to have their small businesses ruined becuase of these maggots? Have their family businesses close becuase they could not weather 2-4 years of no football? You have to understand that the solution is not as simple as you make it appear to be. The people identifed by the grand jury for covering this up will be brought to justice and they will pay the price. The institution will pay restition to the victims. This MUST happen. Economic sanctions to the instituion is fine by me as well. Killing the football program will devestate this community. You just want it killed because its the most severe form of punishment. I understand that. Keep in mind, the BOD were not aware of this ( to our current knowledge). So far less than 10 people were part of this horrible cover up. 10 out of an entire community. Is this worth the devestation you are asking for? I think having these people behind bars is more important than going after a football program. If you were screaming at the top of your lungs to throw away the key after they lock them up, I would be 100% behind you. Make the decision makers accountable....... That is my point... An instituion comprised of thousands of people who had not clue this was going on will still be made liable for restitiuon in civil courts and settlements. I think that is punishment enough.

I don't think YOU get the point. "less than 10 people" knew about this? Hogwash. A serial molester who was discovered on campus, at least 3 times, and only those people knew. I mean, this thing went from the Janitor, to the University President. How many people knew what was happening along the way. I mean the General Counsel for the University and the Second Mile knew and covered it up. This isn't an isolated incident. The entire Athletics program was either hired by the cover up artists, knew about the cover-up or participated in it. You keep trying to use economics to justify this, or poor students. So if you're a dry cleaner for some mob bosses, we shouldn't send them to jail because you will lose some cleaning revenue? That is a horrible argument. Sometimes you got to do the right thing, even though it hurts you or some of the people around you. We all know what that right thing is, shut em down, let em start from scratch and if they can build it again, with integrity and morals so be it. But don't even use money to justify what was done to those kids.

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

The more I think about this thanks to Bullwinkle, the more I think Penn State has to be punished in someway. Not sure if the NCAA will bring the Death Penalty but a penalty has to be issued. All the crimes were committed by employees of the Athletic Department at the institution. These heinous acts did not happen away from campus. They happened repeatedly at the University by a person in power. All these skum bags made a choice of protecting their institution over reporting abuse. Criminally they will all get theirs but something has to be done for the lack of 'institutional control'. Penn State and their board has to be liable in some degree.

If Sandusky would have been caught raping a 10 year old girl in the shower, this thing would have not lasted a day. The assistant coach would have punched him in the mouth. Sad but true!

What did Penn State do?

Now we know

Sorry you did not get my point. There is a community that is living off of this instituion. Everyday people who had nothing to do with this cover up. Some of these people have businesses that need the increased traffic from game day to survive the entire year. Lets face it, football is a large part of this communities economy. Do these people deserve to have their small businesses ruined becuase of these maggots? Have their family businesses close becuase they could not weather 2-4 years of no football? You have to understand that the solution is not as simple as you make it appear to be. The people identifed by the grand jury for covering this up will be brought to justice and they will pay the price. The institution will pay restition to the victims. This MUST happen. Economic sanctions to the instituion is fine by me as well. Killing the football program will devestate this community. You just want it killed because its the most severe form of punishment. I understand that. Keep in mind, the BOD were not aware of this ( to our current knowledge). So far less than 10 people were part of this horrible cover up. 10 out of an entire community. Is this worth the devestation you are asking for? I think having these people behind bars is more important than going after a football program. If you were screaming at the top of your lungs to throw away the key after they lock them up, I would be 100% behind you. Make the decision makers accountable....... That is my point... An instituion comprised of thousands of people who had not clue this was going on will still be made liable for restitiuon in civil courts and settlements. I think that is punishment enough.

I don't think YOU get the point. "less than 10 people" knew about this? Hogwash. A serial molester who was discovered on campus, at least 3 times, and only those people knew. I mean, this thing went from the Janitor, to the University President. How many people knew what was happening along the way. I mean the General Counsel for the University and the Second Mile knew and covered it up. This isn't an isolated incident. The entire Athletics program was either hired by the cover up artists, knew about the cover-up or participated in it. You keep trying to use economics to justify this, or poor students. So if you're a dry cleaner for some mob bosses, we shouldn't send them to jail because you will lose some cleaning revenue? That is a horrible argument. Sometimes you got to do the right thing, even though it hurts you or some of the people around you. We all know what that right thing is, shut em down, let em start from scratch and if they can build it again, with integrity and morals so be it. But don't even use money to justify what was done to those kids.

Where did I justify what was done to those kids? That is a dispicable thing to accuse me of. I have repeatedly said they must be taken care of. The people involved in the cover up need to be prosecuted..... your dry cleaning analogy is stupid..... This is a community that was grown around an insitution. It depends on it to survive. Ask some of the small towns that had military bases close/reduced how it impacted their community. I guess colateral damage is great as long as it does not affect you. See the big picture.... Have some empathy for the people and community that were not involved which no matter how you look at it is more than 99.9% of PSU and College station.

Unfortunately this is the root of the problem. The "people" holding this much power will abuse it. Joe Patterno had too much power and influence. Football is their religion. They will do anything to protect it.

Unfortunately this is the root of the problem. The "people" holding this much power will abuse it. Joe Patterno had too much power and influence. Football is their religion. They will do anything to protect it.

That is always the case. Power corrupts. When people in power break the law they need to go to jail. In this case jail is going to bring them the violations they failed to report.. That is justice! Let them see what its like to be abused and have nobody to defend them.

That is always the case. Power corrupts. When people in power break the law they need to go to jail. In this case jail is going to bring them the violations they failed to report.. That is justice! Let them see what its like to be abused and have nobody to defend them.

So what do you think should happen to Penn State?

I already stated this, but I did not go into all the details. They need to pay the victims. My guess is the figure will be 15-25 million per victim. I am fine with any monetary sanctions imposed by the NCAA and /or Big10. Should they get the death penalty, no. should they clean house and start over.... absolutely. Spainer, Schultz and Curley are the ones that agreed to the cover up. They will be held accountable for this. to our knowledge, the BOD were not informed of the situation. If it comes out that the cover up is more expansive than what has been reported to us, then I may reconsider. As of right now, paying over 150 million out to the victims and any additional sanctions should hit them in the pockets. I have a feeling their insurance company may find a loophole to back out of covering 100% of the settlements. D&O policies cover most issues, but criminal activity of this nature might not be covered. I am anxious to see how the settlements play out. We may never find out what % of it is covered by insurance, but I'd be shocked it will not cover 100% of it.

I already stated this, but I did not go into all the details. They need to pay the victims. My guess is the figure will be 15-25 million per victim. I am fine with any monetary sanctions imposed by the NCAA and /or Big10. Should they get the death penalty, no. should they clean house and start over.... absolutely. Spainer, Schultz and Curley are the ones that agreed to the cover up. They will be held accountable for this. to our knowledge, the BOD were not informed of the situation. If it comes out that the cover up is more expansive than what has been reported to us, then I may reconsider. As of right now, paying over 150 million out to the victims and any additional sanctions should hit them in the pockets. I have a feeling their insurance company may find a loophole to back out of covering 100% of the settlements. D&O policies cover most issues, but criminal activity of this nature might not be covered. I am anxious to see how the settlements play out. We may never find out what % of it is covered by insurance, but I'd be shocked it will not cover 100% of it.

Before this thread, I have to tell you, I did not think that the NCAA had any business in this case.

I agree with you about cleaning house. It would be ignorant to think that nobody else was involved in a stretch of 10 plus years. Also the statue outside the stadium has to come down.

It is the fiduciary responsibility of the University to have controls in place. In the corporate world Sarbanes Oxley was created to keep checks and balances at all levels. Same has to be true for not only at Penn State but all Universities.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,575
  • Days Won:  423

I already stated this, but I did not go into all the details. They need to pay the victims. My guess is the figure will be 15-25 million per victim. I am fine with any monetary sanctions imposed by the NCAA and /or Big10.

I've got no problem with monetary payouts for the victims but there's no way they should be imposed by the NCAA. That's not their role .... Payouts should be a civil matter between the university and the victims when the criminal stuff is done.