• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Should PSU get the Death Penalty?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

No, because in everyone of those examples the hierarchy, investigated and acted accordingly. Big difference from what happened here.

So give me one example of the NCAA putting a team on probation because one of their coaches was arrested. Plenty of coaches have been arrested over the years, should be easy to find one example.

It's not about one of PSU's coaches getting arrested. Sandusky had not been coaching there for years. It's about the coverup, first by Paterno and Curley, then by the president of the university being complicit.

Again, show me one instance where the NCAA has punished a school for something like this in the past.

There doesn't need to be precedent in order for them to act.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

No, because in everyone of those examples the hierarchy, investigated and acted accordingly. Big difference from what happened here.

So give me one example of the NCAA putting a team on probation because one of their coaches was arrested. Plenty of coaches have been arrested over the years, should be easy to find one example.

You're most likely right about the jurisdiction issue. But to even try to compare Leavitt, or the TT incidents with this shows a complete lack of the magnitude of what occured. The problems with psu go from the assistants all the way up to the president of the university. Hardly comparable to a coach slapping a kid, or locking obne in a shed.

Obviously the magnitude is different. But show me where the NCAA has ever punished a school for a completely non athlete related incident.

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Yeah i guess it more important that they do this. I propose a toast with Chocolate milk. You'll see why.

nocera_post.png?=new

February 17, 2012, 12:56 pm 25 Comments

The Stupidest N.C.A.A. Rule

winner-articleInline.jpg

We’ve got a winner for our Stupid N.C.A.A Rules contest. The competition was fierce, as you’ll see below, but our favorite entry comes to us courtesy of Gardner Cadwalader, a former Olympic rower whose daughter rowed for Radcliffe. (Some background: Men’s rowing is not governed by the N.C.A.A. because there are too few teams, but women’s rowing is.)

In the sport of rowing for men, we have always “bet our racing shirts†on the outcome of the race. The loser in high school and college races gives his shirt to the winner. Been that way for ages. It is a nice tradition. It is not gambling on the race and no one has ever thrown a race to win a stupid T-shirt. It is tradition.

When women’s crew administrators allowed the N.C.A.A. rules to take over their sport, the N.C.A.A. banned the “betting†of T-shirts/racing shirts because they think it is gambling. T shirts! Tradition! Good fun! But it is forbidden because it is “gambling†on the races.

You heard it here first: you can’t bet your shirt in women’s rowing, even if it’s in jest.

Here are our notable runners-up:

Giving athletes anything is forbidden. My roommate tutored athletes, and he was told many many times to never give the athletes food or drink. Not from home, and especially not on campus from a machine or restaurant.

— Jim Pollaro

When I was a tennis player in the late ’0s, I was told there was a rule that a coach could not give a ride to a player even if the practice was going to be off-campus. There were times when we would practice outdoors and if it started raining, we would have to go the courts at an indoor center a mile away to finish practicing and our coach couldn’t give us a ride. We would have to pile the team—at that time, seven players—into one car.

— Matt Traub, Regional Sports Editor, Press & Sun-Bulletin

When

was coaching North Carolina State basketball back in their heyday, one of his young phenoms, a dirt poor kid from the Deep South and obviously a full-scholarship athlete, was informed that his grandmother had passed away. The funeral was only a couple of days away; so Coach Valvano (knowing the kid’s financial situation and the need for speed) charitably provided the grieving kid with a round-trip airline ticket home. The player attended the funeral, but when the N.C.A.A. learned about this “incident†a few months later, the player, Coach Valvano and the school were severely sanctioned for this “compassionate indiscretion.â€

—Jack Krayson

A friend’s daughter was a rower at a major university. After reading an article that researchers had determined that chocolate milk is a superior exercise recovery drink, her coach began supplying it to her team after hard workouts. It was better than the sports drinks the coach had been supplying. But the NCAA found the coach in violation of supplying meals to athletes, an improper benefit. Drinks such as Gatorade—an N.C.A.A. sponsor that supplies a drink chock full of corn sugars—were acceptable, but not chocolate milk, or even plain old cow juice. The coach, facing a violation which could affect her career, invested many hours on top of her already-brutal schedule fighting the ruling and providing documents and such.

To the surprise of all, the N.C.A.A. relented. Chocolate milk after workouts is now acceptable.

—Jay Norman

Boise State’s coaches arranged local summer housing for incoming students; the students paid full and fair value for their expenses and documented their payments. But the N.C.A.A. ruled the prospects saved time, energy, and effort by having coaches help them find a place, even though they paid 100% of their own expenses. You can’t even help a kid find an apartment.

http://nocera.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/17/the-stupidest-n-c-a-a-rule/

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  958
  • Days Won:  0

Why punish the current student athletes for the wrong doings of morally corrupt leaders? This is the only reason why I am against shutting it down. If i am SMU, though, I am watching this outcome very closely. The NCAA made them the poster child forcorruption for a minor scandal in comparisson. Yes they were cheating, but they were not committing felonies and covering up for a deviant criminal. If PSU is not given a DP SMU should file a lawsuit against the NCAA for damages and lost revenue. I feel there is not other choice here. Its DP or the clostest thing they can get. The only other arguement I can think of, is these aholes are going to go to jail so why punish the entire institution for the acts of 5 people? I don't by that arguement as much as the first one.

So why did they just fire Tressel for not reporting a minor infraction and stop there ? But they then punished the whole OS football program for lack of institutional control did they not ? . This was caused by just three or four but they all are suffering for it . Besides this was an Institution cover-up . How much more out of control can you get ? Just saying .

There doesn't need to be precedent in order for them to act.

It does need to be in the NCAA rulebook. The NCAA isn't the FBI.

Why punish the current student athletes for the wrong doings of morally corrupt leaders? This is the only reason why I am against shutting it down. If i am SMU, though, I am watching this outcome very closely. The NCAA made them the poster child forcorruption for a minor scandal in comparisson. Yes they were cheating, but they were not committing felonies and covering up for a deviant criminal. If PSU is not given a DP SMU should file a lawsuit against the NCAA for damages and lost revenue. I feel there is not other choice here. Its DP or the clostest thing they can get. The only other arguement I can think of, is these aholes are going to go to jail so why punish the entire institution for the acts of 5 people? I don't by that arguement as much as the first one.

So why did they just fire Tressel for not reporting a minor infraction and stop there ? But they then punished the whole OS football program for lack of institutional control did they not ? . This was caused by just three or four but they all are suffering for it . Besides this was an Institution cover-up . How much more out of control can you get ? Just saying .

Those were recruiting violations. Completely different subject.

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

This is an SI story.....I guess the NCAA can go after Penn State based on ethical conduct--so I guess there is a chance at the Death Penalty! Its never happened but..

The governing body has said it will examine whether Penn State violated bylaws covering institutional control and ethical conduct in its handling of accusations against Sandusky.

NCAA President Mark Emmert has made clear the organization will let the legal process and other investigations play out before deciding whether to weigh in.

Spokeswoman Stacey Osburn said the NCAA had no further comment in light of the Sandusky verdict and that its previous statement about Penn State "still stands'' after the verdict.

You're most likely right about the jurisdiction issue. But to even try to compare Leavitt, or the TT incidents with this shows a complete lack of the magnitude of what occured. The problems with psu go from the assistants all the way up to the president of the university. Hardly comparable to a coach slapping a kid, or locking obne in a shed.

Obviously the magnitude is different. But show me where the NCAA has ever punished a school for a completely non athlete related incident.

Athletic departments paying sham recruiting services. Just came up in the OR case last year . Athletes knew nothing of the deals. that's just off the top of my head, but with some simple research, I am sure I can find 20 more.

This is an SI story.....I guess the NCAA can go after Penn State based on ethical conduct--so I guess there is a chance at the Death Penalty! Its never happened but..

The governing body has said it will examine whether Penn State violated bylaws covering institutional control and ethical conduct in its handling of accusations against Sandusky.

NCAA President Mark Emmert has made clear the organization will let the legal process and other investigations play out before deciding whether to weigh in.

Spokeswoman Stacey Osburn said the NCAA had no further comment in light of the Sandusky verdict and that its previous statement about Penn State "still stands'' after the verdict.

Barump bump

Athletic departments paying sham recruiting services. Just came up in the OR case last year . Athletes knew nothing of the deals. that's just off the top of my head, but with some simple research, I am sure I can find 20 more.

As I was saying...