• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Should PSU get the Death Penalty?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

This is an SI story.....I guess the NCAA can go after Penn State based on ethical conduct--so I guess there is a chance at the Death Penalty! Its never happened but..

The governing body has said it will examine whether Penn State violated bylaws covering institutional control and ethical conduct in its handling of accusations against Sandusky.

NCAA President Mark Emmert has made clear the organization will let the legal process and other investigations play out before deciding whether to weigh in.

Spokeswoman Stacey Osburn said the NCAA had no further comment in light of the Sandusky verdict and that its previous statement about Penn State "still stands'' after the verdict.

Uh, yeah. Let me know when they actually do something. They have no grounds.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,577
  • Days Won:  423

This is an SI story.....I guess the NCAA can go after Penn State based on ethical conduct--so I guess there is a chance at the Death Penalty! Its never happened but..

The NCAA may be able to go after them based on ethical conduct. They haven't determined if they can yet ...

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,040
  • Days Won:  11

Why punish the current student athletes for the wrong doings of morally corrupt leaders? This is the only reason why I am against shutting it down. If i am SMU, though, I am watching this outcome very closely. The NCAA made them the poster child forcorruption for a minor scandal in comparisson. Yes they were cheating, but they were not committing felonies and covering up for a deviant criminal. If PSU is not given a DP SMU should file a lawsuit against the NCAA for damages and lost revenue. I feel there is not other choice here. Its DP or the clostest thing they can get. The only other arguement I can think of, is these aholes are going to go to jail so why punish the entire institution for the acts of 5 people? I don't by that arguement as much as the first one.

So why did they just fire Tressel for not reporting a minor infraction and stop there ? But they then punished the whole OS football program for lack of institutional control did they not ? . This was caused by just three or four but they all are suffering for it . Besides this was an Institution cover-up . How much more out of control can you get ? Just saying .

Those were recruiting violations. Completely different subject.

how was tressel getting fired related to recruiting?

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Athletic departments paying sham recruiting services. Just came up in the OR case last year . Athletes knew nothing of the deals. that's just off the top of my head, but with some simple research, I am sure I can find 20 more.

As I was saying...

As i was saying and now the NCAA has weighed in.

The governing body has said it will examine whether Penn State violated bylaws covering institutional control and ethical conduct in its handling of accusations against Sandusky.
Hmmm sounds suspiciously like they think completely differently than you do. but then, they are only the guys who WROTE the rules

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

The NCAA may be able to go after them based on ethical conduct. They haven't determined if they can yet ...

You are 100% correct Triple B but........here is another story about the actual investigation.

"Emmert said the case is not yet a formal investigation, though the inquiry could lead to that. NCAA investigators have not yet been on Penn State's campus. Emmert has asked the university to respond by Dec. 16 to several questions."

"Emmert, in his letter, said the allegations in the case are testing "not only the integrity of the university, but that of intercollegiate athletics as a whole and the NCAA member institutions that conduct college sports."

NCAA can definitely make an example of Penn State!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/ncaa/11/18/ncaa-penn-state.ap/index.html

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Here's a great article from Andy Staples at SI that essentially covers all the bases. I still can see both sides.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/andy_staples/07/02/penn-state-jerry-sandusky-ncaa/index.html

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

You are 100% correct Triple B but........here is another story about the actual investigation.

"Emmert said the case is not yet a formal investigation, though the inquiry could lead to that. NCAA investigators have not yet been on Penn State's campus. Emmert has asked the university to respond by Dec. 16 to several questions."

"Emmert, in his letter, said the allegations in the case are testing "not only the integrity of the university, but that of intercollegiate athletics as a whole and the NCAA member institutions that conduct college sports."

http://sportsillustr...e.ap/index.html

And, Emmert said all that before it was even known, that everyone at PSU had decided to cover up the crime, at the urging of the Football coach.

http://sportsillustr...e.ap/index.html

That was from last November and PSU was supposed to have responded back to the NCAA by mid December. The most recent article appears to have them in a holding pattern until all the leagalities are worked out .... Personally, I don't think the NCAA should have a part in this at all. It's a legal matter and the book should be thrown at those covering that stuff up. I just think the NCAA needs to only address the integrity of the actual sports related ongoings.

Here's a great article from Andy Staples at SI that essentially covers all the bases. I still can see both sides.

http://sportsillustr...ncaa/index.html

Wow, something me and the ex-Gator agree on ...

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  511
  • Days Won:  1

Why punish the current student athletes for the wrong doings of morally corrupt leaders? This is the only reason why I am against shutting it down. If i am SMU, though, I am watching this outcome very closely. The NCAA made them the poster child forcorruption for a minor scandal in comparisson. Yes they were cheating, but they were not committing felonies and covering up for a deviant criminal. If PSU is not given a DP SMU should file a lawsuit against the NCAA for damages and lost revenue. I feel there is not other choice here. Its DP or the clostest thing they can get. The only other arguement I can think of, is these aholes are going to go to jail so why punish the entire institution for the acts of 5 people? I don't by that arguement as much as the first one.

So why did they just fire Tressel for not reporting a minor infraction and stop there ? But they then punished the whole OS football program for lack of institutional control did they not ? . This was caused by just three or four but they all are suffering for it . Besides this was an Institution cover-up . How much more out of control can you get ? Just saying .

If a member of the team does something to affect their eligility the whole team pays. That is the deterent for trying to stop the kids from accepting gifts. Here these kids enrolled in a school thinking that there was no criminal activity going on. The facade was able to stay intact untitl the chrages were filed. I am not by any means defending these scum bags. The insitution will be paying for the poor leadership decisions of the president and his idiot subordenates. That is why the BOD fired him immediately. This information was swept under the rug by a select few with the power to do so. They will get their punishment in a court of law. PSU will get their punishment for hiring these scumbags to make these decisions in civil court. In my eyes all guilty parties will eventually pay for their transgressions and be held accountable. There is no need to give a death penalty to the fans that were not aware of this and to the players that chose to go there. Nobody in their right minds would say, I want to route for Child Molester U, and no recruit would commit to that. The NCAA's job is to protect the purity of the sports it oversees and to protect the amatuer status of its participants. While the university is entrenched in a horrific scenario, their punishment will be handled in the courts. this issue is indirectly associated with the football programs day to day operations. If you want to give them monetary sanctions, that is fine. To take this out on their fan base and student athletes would be a bad move. If you want them to not gain $ from bowl games, TV contracts for a few years, that is fine by me. I do not think there should be any bowl bans as this effects the people that are innocent in this case... the fans and players. Lets keep the punishement to those that should be accountable and leave the ones that had nothing to do with this out of it.