• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Should PSU get the Death Penalty?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Lack of institutional control is an understatement

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  958
  • Days Won:  0

With the Coaches and staff , admin, etc , that new what was going on . And with other reports of cover-up by campus police . Makes me wonder how many players that were aware also ? :throwup:

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

how was tressel getting fired related to recruiting?

Um, seriously? Ohio State got caught time and again with NCAA violations under Tressel's watch.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,686
  • Days Won:  8

Needs the death penalty. Need to be made clear that unethical actions taken to protect a sports program will not be tolerated. The whole reason for not reporting this molester and allowing this to go on was to protect their reputation and more specifically of the football program.

Do the right thing, show them that grossly unethical and immoral actions taken to protect a sports program, reputation, or employee will not be tolerated. The NCAA is supposed to uphold the integrity of college athletics. Those controlling this program are completely lacking of integrity! Only way to send that message is with the death penalty. A cover up of this sort to protect a coach is so ridiculously lacking of any ethics top to bottom. TOP TO BOTTOM members of the institution were allowing these horrible crimes against children to protect a coach. I would think covering up felonies of coaches and staff is punishable by the NCAA. They punish about lieing to them about recruiting. I mean seriously c'mon folks! The program was allowing children to be molested for a decade. Coaches, staff, the university president... And you think they don't deserve the death penalty just because it didn't involve an athlete????

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

By my read, this thing is far worse than the Miami scandal. I mean, Miami's deal smacks of a "lack of institutional control" (a lot of salacious details) but Penn State's crime is a complete intentional subversion of it. You have a coach, committing felonius acts on minor children, in the athletic facilities. Then you have a graduate assistant, the Head Football Coach, the Athletics director, the Vice President and the President of the University conspiring to keep the actual facts from law enforcement. They did it knowingly, by their own admission. They wanted to be "humane" with a known, child predator. And by doing so, while knowing that Sandusky was continuing his acts of pedophelia(he was taking young boys to PSU games) for 11 years after the fact, these parties condoned the continuing **** of young boys. The NCAA should go in there and shut down their entire athletics program immediately. I mean, who even knows what continues to go on there. We only know, that they seemingly haven't been able to EVER hire anybody that was willing to do the right thing.

The answer is yes.

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  958
  • Days Won:  0

Needs the death penalty. Need to be made clear that unethical actions taken to protect a sports program will not be tolerated. The whole reason for not reporting this molester and allowing this to go on was to protect their reputation and more specifically of the football program.

Do the right thing, show them that grossly unethical and immoral actions taken to protect a sports program, reputation, or employee will not be tolerated. The NCAA is supposed to uphold the integrity of college athletics. Those controlling this program are completely lacking of integrity! Only way to send that message is with the death penalty. A cover up of this sort to protect a coach is so ridiculously lacking of any ethics top to bottom. TOP TO BOTTOM members of the institution were allowing these horrible crimes against children to protect a coach. I would think covering up felonies of coaches and staff is punishable by the NCAA. They punish about lieing to them about recruiting. I mean seriously c'mon folks! The program was allowing children to be molested for a decade. Coaches, staff, the university president... And you think they don't deserve the death penalty just because it didn't involve an athlete????

YES ! Do not pass go ....

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Why punish the current student athletes for the wrong doings of morally corrupt leaders? This is the only reason why I am against shutting it down. If i am SMU, though, I am watching this outcome very closely. The NCAA made them the poster child forcorruption for a minor scandal in comparisson. Yes they were cheating, but they were not committing felonies and covering up for a deviant criminal. If PSU is not given a DP SMU should file a lawsuit against the NCAA for damages and lost revenue. I feel there is not other choice here. Its DP or the clostest thing they can get. The only other arguement I can think of, is these aholes are going to go to jail so why punish the entire institution for the acts of 5 people? I don't by that arguement as much as the first one.

So why did they just fire Tressel for not reporting a minor infraction and stop there ? But they then punished the whole OS football program for lack of institutional control did they not ? . This was caused by just three or four but they all are suffering for it . Besides this was an Institution cover-up . How much more out of control can you get ? Just saying .

If a member of the team does something to affect their eligility the whole team pays. That is the deterent for trying to stop the kids from accepting gifts. Here these kids enrolled in a school thinking that there was no criminal activity going on. The facade was able to stay intact untitl the chrages were filed. I am not by any means defending these scum bags. The insitution will be paying for the poor leadership decisions of the president and his idiot subordenates. That is why the BOD fired him immediately. This information was swept under the rug by a select few with the power to do so. They will get their punishment in a court of law. PSU will get their punishment for hiring these scumbags to make these decisions in civil court. In my eyes all guilty parties will eventually pay for their transgressions and be held accountable. There is no need to give a death penalty to the fans that were not aware of this and to the players that chose to go there. Nobody in their right minds would say, I want to route for Child Molester U, and no recruit would commit to that. The NCAA's job is to protect the purity of the sports it oversees and to protect the amatuer status of its participants. While the university is entrenched in a horrific scenario, their punishment will be handled in the courts. this issue is indirectly associated with the football programs day to day operations. If you want to give them monetary sanctions, that is fine. To take this out on their fan base and student athletes would be a bad move. If you want them to not gain $ from bowl games, TV contracts for a few years, that is fine by me. I do not think there should be any bowl bans as this effects the people that are innocent in this case... the fans and players. Lets keep the punishement to those that should be accountable and leave the ones that had nothing to do with this out of it.

Wow, just wow. The poor players who might have to transfer to a University that doesn't systemically harbor the lowest form of life.The poor fans who might not get to go to a bowl game during their college years, How horrible.

What about the terrified 10 year old boys who were pinned in the showers, basements and hotel rooms sanctioned by the Pennsylvania State University. What about the fact that their lives were ruined and that they will never have normalcy again. Those lives ended the day Jerry Sandusky found them. Now as horrific as that crime is, it pales in comparison to what comes next. When the boys reported the abuse, they weren't believed because, how could this hallowed man from such a prestigious University be capable of such despicable horror? Not only that, but he was able to form a boys charity because of his position in that hallowed institution. The charity where he carefully selected victims from troubled homes that were prime for his debauchery. Yes Jerry Sandusky was a sick and depraved man.

But you know what? Jerry Sandusky doesn't get the bulk of my ire. That is reserved for an institution and the staff that knew what Jerry was and what he was doing and hid it from public view. If ever there was a culture of corruption it existed at PSU. And for what gain. To protect their hallowed football program. Now, a university that knows the pain and suffering it has caused and holds itself to any kind of moral compass, immediately shuts down the football program and put's independent monitors in every other sport to insure the safety of their students. They bring investigators in, but probably should suspend all athletics in the interim. They wait for the result of the report from the investigators(due in Aug). In the meantime they do everything necessary to further protect young lives.

What did Penn State do?

1) 1998 Penn State university Police 1st interview Sandusky victim. No charges filed.

2) 1999 Sandusky allowed to retire - but retain full access to PSU

3) 2000- Janitor at PSU reports to supervisor that JS was having oral sex with young boy. Another Janitor witnessed JS leaving shower holding hands with the boy.

4) 2002- GA at PSU reports to Paterno that JS was having anal sex with 10-year old boy

5) By now the AD, JoePA, Univ VP and Pres all know what happened and the begin the coverup

6) General Counsel of The Second Mile and PSU has known about JS allegations since 1998, Sandusky is still allowed access to the University, it's FB games which he was using to lure victims and the freaking shower facilities, until when? 2011.

7) November 2011, victim goes public, Sandusky is charged. Paterno offers to retire after end of season.

8) Press tries to destroy the credibility of the GA who reported Sandusky

9) firestorm erupts and BOT fires everyone after huge public condemnation

Now we know

1. PSU attempted to save the legacy of their venerated FB coach who was likely orchestrating the coverup from the beginning.
  2. There is obviously a culture at PSU which will value football above children, human life and the law.
  3. They have hired a Public Relations firm to restore their tattered image.

But, maybe we should be worried that some coed won't get to go to a bowl game for the next couple of years. Yeah, that's the plight of some poor young student.How could we possibly take that away from them.?

Edited by Bullwinkle

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Time is going to have to heal these wounds - no PR firm in the world can change what happened and can make people forget for a long time.

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,040
  • Days Won:  11

Um, seriously? Ohio State got caught time and again with NCAA violations under Tressel's watch.

wasn't the punishment by the NCAA due to him knowing that players, not recruits, were trading memorabilia for cash and other things, as well as getting other items.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

wasn't the punishment by the NCAA due to him knowing that players, not recruits, were trading memorabilia for cash and other things, as well as getting other items.

That was only the latest in a very long line of NCAA violations committed by Tressel. Yes, the last straw was that he lied about them. But he lied about NCAA violations, the NCAA did not punish Ohio State because Tressel was drunk driving or stealing candy from the convenience store, it was about NCAA infractions not legal ones.