• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Should PSU get the Death Penalty?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

While this is horrible, the NCAA has no jurisdiction in this manner. I'd love to see PSU get the death penalty for this, but I don't think the NCAA has any legal standing to do so.

The talk is now that they might, based on comments from Curley and Spanier.

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Somebody needs to explain to me how the NCAA doesn't have a say in this matter. I mean, at least half the FB program( and I suspect everyone ) knew Sandusky was molesting kids in their athletic facilities. I mean are we saying that the governance of college athletics only means whether you win more games now? So you can pay a recruit under the table as long as he never get's in a game? So you can choke a kid in a locker room, as long as he can still play in the second half? What if Genshaft and Woulard had ignored the Leavitt incident. Wouldn't the program have been at risk? And to allow it to continue for 11 years, while the guy was coaching kids. This sure sounds a lot more like what the NCAA should be after, than what kid got what phone call during a quiet period.

Edited by Bullwinkle

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

The idea is ridiculous. The NCAA is for collegiate athletics. The Sandusky issue is a criminal issue, and has nothing to do with gaining an unfair advantage on the field. If anything, this will hurt their recruiting more than help it.

People should go to jail, and apparently several people should go to jail. Penn State should pay millions if they make the conscience decision to not investigate, which it appears that they did. The NCAA should have absolutely nothing to do with this.

So your saying that College athletics departments, built around a model of power and corrupt criminal behavior, have nothing to do with college athletics. Interesting premise. But I think their athletics program and it's sense of entitlement is at the core of the problem. Kind of like the Banks are too Big to Fail Model. If no athletics department is ever held responsible for the actions of their staff, nothing will ever change.

The NCAA has not ever punished a program for having athletes or coaches arrested. They police things that affect between the lines. Lack of institutional control refers to control over recruiting practices.

Secondly, if the NCAA was to ever wish to assert this type of control, it would need to be communicated in advance. You can't change a rule and apply it retroactively.

Somebody needs to explain to me how the NCAA doesn't have a say in this matter. I mean, at least half the FB program( and I suspect everyone ) knew Sandusky was molesting kids in their athletic facilities. I mean are we saying that the governance of college athletics only means whether you win more games now? So you can pay a recruit under the table as long as he never get's in a game? So you can choke a kid in a locker room, as long as he can still play in the second half? What if Genshaft and Woulard had ignored the Leavitt incident. Wouldn't the program have been at risk? And to allow it to continue for 11 years, while the guy was coaching kids. This sure sounds a lot more like what the NCAA should be after, than what kid got what phone call during a quiet period.

Did the NCAA punish USF because of the Leavitt incident? Did the NCAA punish Texas Tech for the incident with the James kid? Did UCF get punished by the NCAA for the kid dying? No, no, and no.

The NCAA has a hard enough time keeping track of NCAA violations. It would take an incredible expansion of powers to make them the ethics police.

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

While this is horrible, the NCAA has no jurisdiction in this manner. I'd love to see PSU get the death penalty for this, but I don't think the NCAA has any legal standing to do so.

The National Collegiate ATHLETIC Association has nor jurisdiction over criminal acts in ATHLETICS?

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Did the NCAA punish USF because of the Leavitt incident? Did the NCAA punish Texas Tech for the incident with the James kid? Did UCF get punished by the NCAA for the kid dying? No, no, and no.

The NCAA has a hard enough time keeping track of NCAA violations. It would take an incredible expansion of powers to make them the ethics police.

No, because in everyone of those examples the hierarchy, investigated and acted accordingly. Big difference from what happened here.

No, because in everyone of those examples the hierarchy, investigated and acted accordingly. Big difference from what happened here.

So give me one example of the NCAA putting a team on probation because one of their coaches was arrested. Plenty of coaches have been arrested over the years, should be easy to find one example.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

So give me one example of the NCAA putting a team on probation because one of their coaches was arrested. Plenty of coaches have been arrested over the years, should be easy to find one example.

It's not about one of PSU's coaches getting arrested. Sandusky had not been coaching there for years. It's about the coverup, first by Paterno and Curley, then by the president of the university being complicit.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

You're most likely right about the jurisdiction issue. But to even try to compare Leavitt, or the TT incidents with this shows a complete lack of the magnitude of what occured. The problems with psu go from the assistants all the way up to the president of the university. Hardly comparable to a coach slapping a kid, or locking obne in a shed.

It's not about one of PSU's coaches getting arrested. Sandusky had not been coaching there for years. It's about the coverup, first by Paterno and Curley, then by the president of the university being complicit.

Again, show me one instance where the NCAA has punished a school for something like this in the past.