• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Should PSU get the Death Penalty?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

The idea is ridiculous. The NCAA is for collegiate athletics. The Sandusky issue is a criminal issue, and has nothing to do with gaining an unfair advantage on the field. If anything, this will hurt their recruiting more than help it.

People should go to jail, and apparently several people should go to jail. Penn State should pay millions if they make the conscience decision to not investigate, which it appears that they did. The NCAA should have absolutely nothing to do with this.

So your saying that College athletics departments, built around a model of power and corrupt criminal behavior, have nothing to do with college athletics. Interesting premise. But I think their athletics program and it's sense of entitlement is at the core of the problem. Kind of like the Banks are too Big to Fail Model. If no athletics department is ever held responsible for the actions of their staff, nothing will ever change.

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  511
  • Days Won:  1

Why punish the current student athletes for the wrong doings of morally corrupt leaders? This is the only reason why I am against shutting it down. If i am SMU, though, I am watching this outcome very closely. The NCAA made them the poster child forcorruption for a minor scandal in comparisson. Yes they were cheating, but they were not committing felonies and covering up for a deviant criminal. If PSU is not given a DP SMU should file a lawsuit against the NCAA for damages and lost revenue. I feel there is not other choice here. Its DP or the clostest thing they can get. The only other arguement I can think of, is these aholes are going to go to jail so why punish the entire institution for the acts of 5 people? I don't by that arguement as much as the first one.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

@ BillReef: Sandusky is a predator. Worse than a pedophile. Pedophilia is a disorder, as it states in your link, that is usually treated, as many don't tend to act on their feelings. People in cases like Sandusky are a step further. Pedophilia may be the root cause of Sandusky's issue, but simply calling him a pedophile doesn't adequately describe his problem.

Edited by GaUSFBull

The idea is ridiculous. The NCAA is for collegiate athletics. The Sandusky issue is a criminal issue, and has nothing to do with gaining an unfair advantage on the field. If anything, this will hurt their recruiting more than help it.

People should go to jail, and apparently several people should go to jail. Penn State should pay millions if they make the conscience decision to not investigate, which it appears that they did. The NCAA should have absolutely nothing to do with this.

Several people will be going to jail. The most important person already is there.

It's all about a culture there in Happy Valley. Joe Paterno proved to be far more powerful than anyone else there. It's not too much to think that the NCAA could make a powerful statement regarding this utter lack of institutional control.

Why punish the current student athletes for the wrong doings of morally corrupt leaders? This is the only reason why I am against shutting it down. If i am SMU, though, I am watching this outcome very closely. The NCAA made them the poster child forcorruption for a minor scandal in comparisson. Yes they were cheating, but they were not committing felonies and covering up for a deviant criminal. If PSU is not given a DP SMU should file a lawsuit against the NCAA for damages and lost revenue. I feel there is not other choice here. Its DP or the clostest thing they can get. The only other arguement I can think of, is these aholes are going to go to jail so why punish the entire institution for the acts of 5 people? I don't by that arguement as much as the first one.

The only answer I can think of is that a lack of action by the NCAA sends a message that, in this case, a university can fire/get rid of everyone involved and it's guaranteed to all just go away. If you punish the entire institution, hopefully ADs and presidents will think twice about not reporting crimes and violations at their universities.

Two things that stood out to me in the CNN report, linked here: http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/30/justice/penn-state-emails/index.html

1) It appears Joe Paterno was the one that changed everyone's mind about notifying authorities of Sandusky's actions.

2) Prez Spanier said not notifying authorities may leave PSU "vulnerable for having not reported it." No worry about the kids that were raped - just about PSU's reputation.

• Topic Count:  36
  • Content Count:  2,114
  • Days Won:  2

That CNN article was very disturbing. Terrible. I lost so much respect for that University. That was the 1 team in the Big Ten I always rooted for.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

While this is horrible, the NCAA has no jurisdiction in this manner. I'd love to see PSU get the death penalty for this, but I don't think the NCAA has any legal standing to do so.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

I agree with Apis......

That being said.... shut it down....

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Why punish the current student athletes for the wrong doings of morally corrupt leaders? This is the only reason why I am against shutting it down. If i am SMU, though, I am watching this outcome very closely. The NCAA made them the poster child for corruption for a minor scandal in comparisson. Yes they were cheating, but they were not committing felonies and covering up for a deviant criminal. If PSU is not given a DP SMU should file a lawsuit against the NCAA for damages and lost revenue. I feel there is not other choice here. Its DP or the clostest thing they can get. The only other argument I can think of, is these aholes are going to go to jail so why punish the entire institution for the acts of 5 people? I don't by that arguement as much as the first one.

Maybe look at it this way. If the entire football program was willing to engage in this kind of behavior, is it not possible that other programs in the institution have engaged in other criminal enterprise? Perhaps by shutting down PSU athletics and allowing athletes to transfer without penalty you might actually prevent further catastrophe. If the system was so inherently corrupt and many of the coaches and staff were hired by those parties, might it be possible that others in the athletic program are tainted by that same inherent problem. I mean, these are individuals charged with protecting, molding and shaping the lives of young people. It's a sacred trust in my book. If there is even a chance that some of this foul stench remains in that system, wouldn't you err on the side of caution?