• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

the ACC has to be scrambling tonite. This thing has become a runaway horse and they haven't caught the reins . Just read an article that said the "entire'" FSU BOT wants to consider jumping ship. I think that they, like half the BE are tired of being dictated to by the BB powers when they are the big man on campus.

• Topic Count:  714
  • Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

I know its irrelevant to the discussion, but I just find it interesting that the Seminoles could be making yearly trips to Oklahoma. Just an ironic, historical twist I thought of.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

I know its irrelevant to the discussion, but I just find it interesting that the Seminoles could be making yearly trips to Oklahoma. Just an ironic, historical twist I thought of.

Those games between the Noles and Sooners have produced quite a trail of tears between Tallahassee and Norman - for the Noles.

Edited by GaUSFBull

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

To reverse the Trail of Tears.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,681
  • Days Won:  8

So where do the Pac12 and Big10 now fit in?

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,681
  • Days Won:  8

I knew it these conference alignments that were sorted a few months ago wouldn't last, but I didn't expect the wheels to start moving again this soon. I was expecting next spring.

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

FSU is as good as GONE, in my opinion.

It's a Bianchi article, so I didn't link it... Just quote it.

FSU coach Jimbo Fisher says FSU should explore leaving ACC for Big 12

*** Databull Note: We must include links to avoid legal issues for Brad

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-05-12/sports/os-mike-bianchi-florida-state-fisher-0513-20120511_1_acc-espn-fsu-coach-jimbo-fisher-acc-s-tv

Florida State Athletic Director Randy Spetman told the Orlando Sentinel on Friday that his school is "committed" to staying in the Atlantic Coast Conference.

Spetman may be the only one who thinks that way.

Florida State football coach Jimbo Fisher, before he spoke at the Seminole Club of Greater Orlando on Saturday, didn't exactly shoot down rumblings that FSU will explore the possibility of leaving the ACC for the Big 12.

pixel.gif

"There have been no official talks, but I think you always have to look out there to see what's best for Florida State," Fisher said. "If that [jumping to the Big 12] is what's best for Florida State, then that's what we need to do."

Andy Haggart, chairman of Florida State's board of trustees, vigorously agreed. In an interview with Warchant.com, a popular website that covers FSU athletics, Haggart said the Seminoles should pursue talks with the Big 12: "On behalf of the board of trustees, I can say that unanimously we would be in favor of seeing what the Big 12 might have to offer. We have to do what is in Florida State's best interest."

Late Saturday, though, FSU president Dr. Eric Barron issued a statement in regard to the uproar that was fueled by discussion of the ACC's new TV contract:

"Florida State University regrets that misinformation about the provisions of the ACC contract has unnecessarily renewed the controversy and speculation about University's athletic conference alignment. Florida State respects the views of the Chair of its Board of Trustees that, of course, any university would examine options that would impact university academics, athletics or finances. At the same time, Florida State is not seeking an alternative to the ACC nor are we considering alternatives. Our current commitments remain strong."

Still, if we've learned anything in recent years about institutions of higher earning switching conferences, it is this: Without fail, they all say they are steadfastly committed to their current league only until another league offers them more money.

And right now FSU could sure use some more money. Spetman announced a $2.4 million budget shortfall in the athletic department last week that sent shock waves through Seminole Nation. In college football's arms race, Seminole fans envision the Gators and other SEC schools purchasing F-22 Raptor fighter jets while they are still going to battle with tomahawks and bows and arrows.

More than ever, Florida State fans feel they are a football school hopelessly trapped in a basketballleague. The most recent bout of Seminole discontent came last year when the ACC expanded to add Pittand Syracuse — two basketball schools who haven't been relevant in football for years. And then came the news earlier this week that the ACC had extended its TV deal with ESPN for an additional 15 years and $3.6 billion.

A growing faction of FSU boosters and power brokers believe the Seminoles can make significantly more money in the Big 12. And when you're surrounded by and recruit against big-budget SEC schools such as Florida, Alabama, Auburn and Georgia, you'd better bring some cash or you'll get spent into oblivion.

Think about it: Even though the ACC's new deal will bring FSU up to about $17 million annually in TV revenue, that's still $3 million less than the Big 12. Not only that, but some estimate the recently expanded SEC's new deal could earn each conference school as much as $25 million per year. Translation: Over the span of the ACC's 16-year contract, FSU will earn $128 million less than the Gators.

"FSU is looking at schools like Arkansas and Mississippi State having more resources, better facilities and the ability to hire the best coaches," said Gene Williams, owner and editor of Warchant.com

Which is why Seminole fans are rightfully worried. And why FSU's administration should be doing everything in its power to not only keep up with the Gators but to keep up with Ole Miss and Vanderbilt.

Right now the Big 12 has a 10-team league with no championship game, and league schools still earn $3 million a year more than ACC teams. How much could the Big 12 earn if it added two premier footballprograms like FSU and Miami or FSU and Clemson and then had a championship game? This would also give the Big 12 a footprint in Florida, the fourth-largest state and one of the most fertile recruiting grounds in the country.

Don't kid yourself.

If the Big 12 offers big money, Chief Osceola would jump on Bevo and ride him bareback out of the ACC.

The only thing left behind would be the billowing smoke from his flaming spear.

Edited by DataBull

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

There are only 4-6 schools worth looking into:

1. Notre Dame- are they finally ready to join a conference?

2. UCONN- bad blood with BC. Starting dialogue to resolve the issues caused by the 2005 lawsuit

3.USF- FL market, upgraded facilities. Some recent success in BBAll. ( made the NIT and NCAA 2 out of the last 3 years.)

4. Cincy- GReat tradition. Horrible facilities. they do have access to the Bengals facility if their current stadium is deemed too small.

5. Rutgers- I think this program has peaked, but strager things have happened when additional money is pupmed into it.

6. An upper tier CUSA team like ECu and Southen Miss- doubtful, or Houston, Memphis, I would think Houston is the front runner here.

the Acc's options are extremely limited. They need a FB presence and our record vs ACC teams shows we are already competitive in this league. I personally think it is a downgreade in competition for us, but a huge upgrade in $$ resources and perception. $$ talks and that is the reality.

Also keep in mind that the ACC has issues with how much "catring" is done to the BB powerhouses. the infighting is not as bad as the BE but the issue still exists here.

It is a pretty big issue with the BB powers. I think the only difference is they don't have any BB only schools. If we move to the ACC all we have done is move from one BB conference to another for maybe more money at the end.

Sorry, but this statement is ridiculous. Yea the ACC is a bball conference, but come one. You can't say that with a straight face and actually mean it, can you?

But remember... We're a BBall school now ;)

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Dan Wetzel, of Yahoo Sports says B12 interested...

http://www.sbnation....orida-state-acc

Only reason I give a darn is the slight, tiny, miniscule, unfounded, highly unlikely chance that USF could replace FSU in the ACC... the epic upgrade in opponents, bowls, and association would be enough of a boost for USF that it is worth sipping just a little Kool-Aid in hopes that the meteoric rise of USF football could continue in overall terms.

I would not consider it an epic upgrade in the quality of opponents. It's a wash, or the Big East is currently better, especially if you take out FSU and maybe Clemson.

It is an upgrade in prestige, and perceived upgrade of conference. Mostly, we'd probably get more money though not a lot more.

Virginia Tech and Miami are equal to what in the Big East? The whole "ACC is not much better than the Big East" is laughable without WVU in the picture.

Not to mention their tv money is real, while ours is speculation all hinging on a few Conference usA schools who happen to be in big markets (where they are the 3rd most popular college team)

ACC comes calling we don't hesitate to jump. We'd be idiots not to.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Virginia Tech and Miami are equal to what in the Big East?

Miami has been barely an average team for the last ten years. Virginia Tech may have some argument, but are you going to say that Boise State hasn't been better? I'm not talking prestige, but actual on field results.

Besides which, you are forgetting that in most of the scenarios being discussed, Virginia Tech is gone from the ACC as well.

If we end up back in the ACC, it will be with Pitt and Syracuse as the marquee football teams. Been there, done that.