• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

This is stupid

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

If the B12 expands, it looks like they will go with at least 4 teams, if not 6. SEC needs two more to get to 16, and at some point the B1G might decide not to get left out.

If you peel FSU, Clemson and VaTech from the ACC, you still have some names left but nothing resembling quality.

...and would you rather be in a conference with Miami, NC, NC State...or Boise State, Houston, and SMU?

The former. Travel is easier and they have established names. Boise has done a great job building itself, but it is far away. Houston and SMU have potential, but they are a long way off from being established. And UNC certainly brings quality every year in basketball.

Now we've gotten completely from the topic of my post which started this. I was talking about on the field football quality, not name recognition, location or anything else. Take away FSU, Clemson and VaTech, and the new Big East blows away the new ACC in terms of quality of football teams at the moment.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

If the B12 expands, it looks like they will go with at least 4 teams, if not 6. SEC needs two more to get to 16, and at some point the B1G might decide not to get left out.

If you peel FSU, Clemson and VaTech from the ACC, you still have some names left but nothing resembling quality.

...and would you rather be in a conference with Miami, NC, NC State...or Boise State, Houston, and SMU?

The former. Travel is easier and they have established names. Boise has done a great job building itself, but it is far away. Houston and SMU have potential, but they are a long way off from being established. And UNC certainly brings quality every year in basketball.

Now we've gotten completely from the topic of my post which started this. I was talking about on the field football quality, not name recognition, location or anything else. Take away FSU, Clemson and VaTech, and the new Big East blows away the new ACC in terms of quality of football teams at the moment.

VA Tech isn't leaving the ACC unless the B12 is talking UVA too.... And UNC isn't going anywhere unless NCSU & Duke get a ticket too.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  820
  • Days Won:  0

VT will approach the SEC because the ACC is dying, (that's their out without UVA). It won't be UNC because of Basketball, it will be NC State that leaves the other 3 triad schools and heads to the SEC. That gets SEC the other 2 states they want.

NC State is fed up with Duke, UNC and Wake, and VT is feed up with UVA. This is about the football schools versus the uppity basketball schools who did not add football value to the ACC.

FSU was one of the biggest proponents of WVU to ACC along with NC State the four who voted against the above triad and UVA.

The BBall teams are killing their own league.

Edited by jvwvu

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  94
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

Uh, yeah, but that's easy to say for conferences not named the SEC.

Take away USC, Oregon, Oregon State and Pac-12 isn't terribly impressive.

Take away Oklahoma, Texas, Oklahoma State, and B12 isn't terribly impressive.

Take away Michigan, OSU, PSU, Wisc and B1G isn't terribly impressive.

That just highlights the problem the BE has faced since Miami, BC, and VaTech left; the need for a few marquee teams. WVU provided it for a bit, but its gone now.

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

There is a WWE Smackdown going on in Tallahassee. Meanwhile Louisville has gone strangely quiet for last 2 days. Something is cooking.

After busy weekend, FSU officials head to ACC meetings amid Big 12 concerns

By Coley Harvey, Orlando Sentinel

9:51 p.m. EST, May 13, 2012

TALLAHASSEE — Of all the questions the Athletic Coast Conference hopes to answer this week at its annual spring meetings in Amelia Island, the most pressing may revolve around Florida State.

Are the Seminoles leaving the conference, or not?

Thanks to a rather frenzied Saturday that included telling comments from the school's board of trustees chair and football coach about a potential move from the ACC to the Big 12, the contingent of FSU administrators heading to the meetings will have to answer that question and many like it.

As of late Saturday night, the university's official position was the same as it has been since the school joined the conference more than 20 years ago. That stance remains the same entering Monday's meetings.

"Florida State is not seeking an alternative to the ACC nor are we considering alternatives," school president Eric Barron said in a statement released at 11:01 p.m. Saturday. "Our current commitments remain strong."

That statement echoed the sentiments of athletics director Randy Spetman who told the Orlando Sentinel last Friday that FSU was "committed to the ACC."

Such commitments took a bit of a hit Saturday afternoon, however, when Warchant.com, a website that covers FSU athletics and recruiting, published an exclusive interview with trustee board chair Andy Haggard. According to the website, Haggard blasted the ACC for its recently extended $3.6 billion television deal with ESPN and felt it was time for his school to at least listen to any overtures made by the Big 12.

In an interview with the Orlando Sentinel on Saturday night, FSU football coach Jimbo Fisher hinted that he agreed with Haggard's thoughts about listening to the Big 12.

"There have been no officials talks, but I think you always have to look out there to see what's best for Florida State," Fisher said. "If that (jumping to the Big 12) is what's best for Florida State, then that's what we need to do."

To the point about his displeasure with the ACC television deal, Haggard said the following to Warchant:

"It's mind-boggling and shocking," Haggard said. "How can the ACC give up third-tier rights for football, but keep them for basketball?"

At the center of the controversy about the now $17 million set to be paid to the ACC's member schools as part of the new conference distribution pact has been a misperception about "Tier 3" rights. Haggard, like many who are part of the raging conference realignment conversation online, thought the ACC had only allowed its member schools to sell those individual rights for men's basketball, but not football.

By supposedly not affording football the same broadcast opportunities as basketball, Haggard felt the ACC was showing that its motivations for football—FSU's greatest revenue producing sport—weren't as strong.

Late Saturday, the Orlando Sentinel spoke to an ACC official who said Haggard's claim about the controversial "Tier 3" rights was false. Both "Tier 3" rights for football and men's basketball were sold to ESPN when the last deal was struck in 2010.

http://articles.orla...on-jimbo-fisher

Edited by Bullwinkle

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

VT will approach the SEC because the ACC is dying, (that's their out without UVA). It won't be UNC because of Basketball, it will be NC State that leaves the other 3 triad schools and heads to the SEC. That gets SEC the other 2 states they want.

NC State is fed up with Duke, UNC and Wake, and VT is feed up with UVA. This is about the football schools versus the uppity basketball schools who did not add football value to the ACC.

FSU was one of the biggest proponents of WVU to ACC along with NC State the four who voted against the above triad and UVA.

Maybe I wasn't being clear... it's not Va Tech's call.... their state government controls those decisions and they've said repeatedly that they want them in the same conference... if Va Tech ever jumps ship again then whatever conference they go to must take UVA too.

Same thing with NCSU... If you think NCSU and UNC or Duke for that matter are going to be playing in separate conferences then you need to take spend some time in Raleigh.... ain't going to happen.

Clemson, Miami and GA Tech might end up moving... I'd be shocked if FSU doesn't... but your core of the ACC... UNC, Duke, NCSU, Wake.... that's a package deal.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  1,204

I don't see the state legislatures allowing one team to move without the other UNLESS there's a viable alternative.

For instance, I could see then letting VT go to the SEC IF Virginia gets picked up by the B1G. That is a fit, just as UNC would also be a fit for the B1G.

Maybe we could see a deal worked out so VT and NC State go to the SEC while UNC and UVa go B1G. If that happened then my guess is that the B1G would target Rutgers and Pitt to get up to 16. That keeps the conference contiguous and makes it so everyone except Nebraska is AAU. It keeps the B1G as the most illustrious college conference outside of the Ivy League.

If the SEC and B1G go to 16 then I'd expect the BXII to end up doing the same. Louisville would certainly be high on a list after FSU and Clemson. Not too sure they'd want any of our new Texas add-ons. Could see an interest in Boise State for football but not for anything else. Georgia Tech would be appealing. I think we'd be appealing if they go up to 16.

A lot depends on how big other conferences decide to become. If the B1G decides to sit out (and they did for 20 years) then the ACC won't fall apart.

And where would Notre Dame go? Frankly, I think they'd be okay in the Big East if the football end of things dies out and the name lives on for basketball and all other sports. It'd still be a good conference.

But they might feel pressured to join a football conference. The B1G would put on some pressure, but I think they might be tempted to joined a depleted ACC where they feel they have a better chance of winning. The B1G and BXII would not be so good for them and an ACC without FSU, Clemson, and a few others could be dominated by Notre Dame.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  1,204

Maybe I wasn't being clear... it's not Va Tech's call.... their state government controls those decisions and they've said repeatedly that they want them in the same conference... if Va Tech ever jumps ship again then whatever conference they go to must take UVA too.

Same thing with NCSU... If you think NCSU and UNC or Duke for that matter are going to be playing in separate conferences then you need to take spend some time in Raleigh.... ain't going to happen.

Clemson, Miami and GA Tech might end up moving... I'd be shocked if FSU doesn't... but your core of the ACC... UNC, Duke, NCSU, Wake.... that's a package deal.

Duke is private, so I don't think the state will step in if UNC moves. Same goes for Miami. Same for Wake Forest. I think the state legislature for NC would only step in for UNC and NC State. Duke and Wake are out of their jurisdiction. No one would like to see the Duke-UNC basketball rivalry end, though.

• Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  1,141
  • Days Won:  2

A friend of mine was on the same flight to Dallas as Randy Spetman today. It could just be a coincidence, but I thought it was interesting enough to share...