• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

A friend of mine was on the same flight to Dallas as Randy Spetman today. It could just be a coincidence, but I thought it was interesting enough to share...

yeah, that's a coincidence, kind of like when when OJ was coincidentally in the shower when his chauffeur arrived.

VT will approach the SEC because the ACC is dying, (that's their out without UVA). It won't be UNC because of Basketball, it will be NC State that leaves the other 3 triad schools and heads to the SEC. That gets SEC the other 2 states they want.

NC State is fed up with Duke, UNC and Wake, and VT is feed up with UVA. This is about the football schools versus the uppity basketball schools who did not add football value to the ACC.

FSU was one of the biggest proponents of WVU to ACC along with NC State the four who voted against the above triad and UVA.

The BBall teams are killing their own league.

I don't see the state legislatures allowing one team to move without the other UNLESS there's a viable alternative.

For instance, I could see then letting VT go to the SEC IF Virginia gets picked up by the B1G. That is a fit, just as UNC would also be a fit for the B1G.

Maybe we could see a deal worked out so VT and NC State go to the SEC while UNC and UVa go B1G. If that happened then my guess is that the B1G would target Rutgers and Pitt to get up to 16. That keeps the conference contiguous and makes it so everyone except Nebraska is AAU. It keeps the B1G as the most illustrious college conference outside of the Ivy League.

If the SEC and B1G go to 16 then I'd expect the BXII to end up doing the same. Louisville would certainly be high on a list after FSU and Clemson. Not too sure they'd want any of our new Texas add-ons. Could see an interest in Boise State for football but not for anything else. Georgia Tech would be appealing. I think we'd be appealing if they go up to 16.

A lot depends on how big other conferences decide to become. If the B1G decides to sit out (and they did for 20 years) then the ACC won't fall apart.

And where would Notre Dame go? Frankly, I think they'd be okay in the Big East if the football end of things dies out and the name lives on for basketball and all other sports. It'd still be a good conference.

But they might feel pressured to join a football conference. The B1G would put on some pressure, but I think they might be tempted to joined a depleted ACC where they feel they have a better chance of winning. The B1G and BXII would not be so good for them and an ACC without FSU, Clemson, and a few others could be dominated by Notre Dame.

I'm sorry, but the SEC wants NC State, like Randall McMurphy wanted a frontal lobotomy.

jack.jpg

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  1,204
  • Days Won:  0

VT will approach the SEC because the ACC is dying, (that's their out without UVA). It won't be UNC because of Basketball, it will be NC State that leaves the other 3 triad schools and heads to the SEC. That gets SEC the other 2 states they want.

NC State is fed up with Duke, UNC and Wake, and VT is feed up with UVA. This is about the football schools versus the uppity basketball schools who did not add football value to the ACC.

FSU was one of the biggest proponents of WVU to ACC along with NC State the four who voted against the above triad and UVA.

I don't see the state legislatures allowing one team to move without the other UNLESS there's a viable alternative.

For instance, I could see then letting VT go to the SEC IF Virginia gets picked up by the B1G. That is a fit, just as UNC would also be a fit for the B1G.

Maybe we could see a deal worked out so VT and NC State go to the SEC while UNC and UVa go B1G. If that happened then my guess is that the B1G would target Rutgers and Pitt to get up to 16. That keeps the conference contiguous and makes it so everyone except Nebraska is AAU. It keeps the B1G as the most illustrious college conference outside of the Ivy League.

If the SEC and B1G go to 16 then I'd expect the BXII to end up doing the same. Louisville would certainly be high on a list after FSU and Clemson. Not too sure they'd want any of our new Texas add-ons. Could see an interest in Boise State for football but not for anything else. Georgia Tech would be appealing. I think we'd be appealing if they go up to 16.

A lot depends on how big other conferences decide to become. If the B1G decides to sit out (and they did for 20 years) then the ACC won't fall apart.

And where would Notre Dame go? Frankly, I think they'd be okay in the Big East if the football end of things dies out and the name lives on for basketball and all other sports. It'd still be a good conference.

But they might feel pressured to join a football conference. The B1G would put on some pressure, but I think they might be tempted to joined a depleted ACC where they feel they have a better chance of winning. The B1G and BXII would not be so good for them and an ACC without FSU, Clemson, and a few others could be dominated by Notre Dame.

I'm sorry, but the SEC wants NC State, like Randall McMurphy wanted a frontal lobotomy.

jack.jpg

I don't disagree with you. Just stating the only scenario where the state schools would split. I think the SEC would be most interested in Virginia Tech and would be willing to take UV to get there.

Or the SEC may stay put. FSU and Clemson might go and make the Big XII actually a 12-member conference again. The ACC may stick with 12. And, without FSU and Clemson, would fall off even more for basketball and football. I could see them going for Rutgers and UConn to replace them. UConn helps basketball, but the overall football doesn't improve with those two added.

If FSU and Clemson go, what does that do to Pitt and Cuse? It likely could sabotage the new deal the ACC just signed because I'm not sure if ESPN will want to pay that kind of money without FSU in the mix. They may have an out.

The kicker will be if FSU wants to pay the money to leave. Same for Clemson. But I think the argument can be made that by adding them to the BXII they could add another $5M a year or more per school when you include a new championship game. That would mean that it would take less than three years to get the buyout money back since the BXII would be paying out about $8M per school more than the SEC and FSU (and Clemson) could also try for their own networks on the side.

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,114
  • Days Won:  7

Pity the Big East and the ACC football squads can't decide to just form their own conference and tell the basketball schools to go take a hike.

You have to think that a conference with USF, FSU, Boise State, VT, UVA (since it's a package deal), Miami, Temple, NC State, Clemson, Cincinatti, Louisville, and a few bottom feeders would be a decent conference.

If FSU and Clemson go, what does that do to Pitt and Cuse? It likely could sabotage the new deal the ACC just signed because I'm not sure if ESPN will want to pay that kind of money without FSU in the mix. They may have an out.
ESPN lawyers have included language that makes this deal, change or become void if any membership change occurs. Be sure of that, Come on, they aren't throwing out billions of dollar contracts without some **** smart attorneys watching out for their interests. Not all attys are as dumb as those guys you see on TV.

jack.jpg

I don't disagree with you. Just stating the only scenario where the state schools would split. I think the SEC would be most interested in Virginia Tech and would be willing to take UV to get there.

Or the SEC may stay put. FSU and Clemson might go and make the Big XII actually a 12-member conference again. The ACC may stick with 12. And, without FSU and Clemson, would fall off even more for basketball and football. I could see them going for Rutgers and UConn to replace them. UConn helps basketball, but the overall football doesn't improve with those two added.

The kicker will be if FSU wants to pay the money to leave. Same for Clemson. But I think the argument can be made that by adding them to the BXII they could add another $5M a year or more per school when you include a new championship game. That would mean that it would take less than three years to get the buyout money back since the BXII would be paying out about $8M per school more than the SEC and FSU (and Clemson) could also try for their own networks on the side.

contrary to some published reports, the ACC buyout is prolly equal to 1 yrs TV revenue( and they may negotiate that lower). That's about $11MM/yr right now. As to the change in income, With the new backloaded ACC deal, TV revenue in the ACC for next year will be about $12MM. With a move to B12, FSU would get a base of $20MM with a possible escalator for joining the conference, they get 3rd tier TV rights(said to be worth anywhere from $2MM- to $12MM/yr) and the will likely wind up with playoff moneys for a B12 playoff and a NC playoff that the ACC won't even get a whiff of. All-in-all this deal is at least a $10MM/yr better deal than the ACC can even think of offering.For a team losing $2.5 million a year on athletics, what would you do? This deal, probably puts FSU back in the black, the first year after the jump, subsequent years are a windfall. I think ESPN wants 4- 16 team conferences, playing for a NC(sound familiar?) They can take the scraps of BE and ACC and make a super BB league. They shut out NBC and CBS. They handle the premium product and FOX gets regional programming. FOX is pretty savvy, they jumped into bed with ESPN because they knew it was the only game in town. Tater head and NBC thought they were outfoxing ESPN, WHOOPS!!!!

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

ESPN lawyers have included language that makes this deal, change or become void if any membership change occurs. Be sure of that, Come on, they aren't throwing out billions of dollar contracts without some **** smart attorneys watching out for their interests. Not all attys are as dumb as those guys you see on TV.

The previous conference TV contracts (Big 12) didn't have that. You can't say the loss of teams would cost the ACC if they replace them at this point.

The previous conference TV contracts (Big 12) didn't have that. You can't say the loss of teams would cost the ACC if they replace them at this point.

How do you know what those previous contracts say? The conferences don't even distribute them to their member schools. Have you got a source for your comment about the B12 contract? So if the ACC lost 3/4 of their members, you're saying that, ESPN would just keep merrily paying $200MM/yr? Edited by Bullwinkle

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  820
  • Days Won:  0

It looks to be Louisville is getting cut out of the Big 12 and Pitt might not be headed to ACC next year but Big 12.

This situation is fluid.

ACC meetings should be interesting.

The reason why SEC would want NC State is they want NC, UNC is their top choice for that state but it may not happen. Same with VT in Virginia, and supposedly VT is already putting itself out their for SEC if FSU leaves.

Edited by jvwvu

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

How do you know what those previous contracts say? The conferences don't even distribute them to their member schools. Have you got a source for your comment about the B12 contract? So if the ACC lost 3/4 of their members, you're saying that, ESPN would just keep merrily paying $200MM/yr?

The terms came out when Baylor was seeking a suit against Missouri and Texas A&M. The Big 12 TV contract required 9 member institutions. http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/18/report-big-12-was-prepared-to-wave-around-lawsuit-at-sec/

The ACC might lose 3-4 members, but at this point, the rumor mill is only stewing for one. So anything further is really pressing the speculation button.