• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

There isn't one person on this board, or anywhere else, for that matter, that has accurately predicted the way things have turned out in realignment.

No, but there have been plenty on this board that said Mizzou wasn't going to move, A&M wasn't going to move and on and on.

No guarantees that any of this happens. But when the FSU BOT chairman says it's time to look at options, then FSU will clearly be looking at options. The BOT is the ultimate decision maker in these matters.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Towards the end of his statement, he says this:

One of the few wise comments made in the blogosphere is that no one negotiates their future in the media. We can't afford to have conference affiliation be governed by emotion -- it has to be based on a careful assessment of athletics, finances and academics. I assure you that every aspect of conference affiliation will be looked at by this institution, but it must be a reasoned decision.

He should say that. Where do you get that this infers an imminent move to the Big 12?

I don't. You said the president was arguing in favor of staying in the ACC. That is not at all how I read his entire statement.

I originally said he seems to be in favor of staying. I went on to say with him in favor of staying (there were more cons to pros in his statement) it's hard to fathom them leaving. It would be stupid not to look at the options, but it's reasonable to say he seems to have more reason to stay than to leave. How each pro and con is valued by every decision maker at FSU is anyone's guess at this point.

Towards the end of his statement, he says this:

One of the few wise comments made in the blogosphere is that no one negotiates their future in the media. We can't afford to have conference affiliation be governed by emotion -- it has to be based on a careful assessment of athletics, finances and academics. I assure you that every aspect of conference affiliation will be looked at by this institution, but it must be a reasoned decision.

He should say that. Where do you get that this infers an imminent move to the Big 12?

I don't. You said the president was arguing in favor of staying in the ACC. That is not at all how I read his entire statement.

I originally said he seems to be in favor of staying. I went on to say with him in favor of staying (there were more cons to pros in his statement) it's hard to fathom them leaving. It would be stupid not to look at the options, but it's reasonable to say he seems to have more reason to stay than to leave. How each pro and con is valued by every decision maker at FSU is anyone's guess at this point.

If you don't read it as him leaning towards staying in the ACC, you seem to be reading and interpreting only what you want to get from it.

Edited by GaUSFBull

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

The reason Barron keeps getting trotted out is to strengthen FSUs negotiating hand. If this was just scuttlebutt, why does he keep talking?

It's ACC meetings week and FSU to the B12 is the hot rumor. He's the president of FSU. I'm sure that's probably good reason why he's talking.

The B12 and FSU are trying to structure a deal over the buyout provisions and other fine points, but this thing is gonna happen.

Do you have a legit source other than just your gut feeling (which has been wrong before, especially in the recruiting boards)?

FSU adds at least $10-12 million annually by moving. The other B12 teams get a bump in revenue. ESPN get's to create a BB sized pkg for ACC/BE merger. ESPN can get ACC to lower buyout provision for FSU.

First I've heard of the bold parts. The difference in annual revenue that I've seen for FSU if they make the jump is $2.9M. Where are you getting the 10-12 million figure? If it's earlier in the thread, I apologize, otherwise I hope it's not too inconvenient to ask for a source.

There was a poll done on Warchant and 95 % of the fans voted for the move. BOT is all on board. Do you really think Barron is gonna stand with this finger in the dike for long?

Fan polls are irrelevant. Are you going by Haggard's words about their BOT? Again, he's backed down from his comments regarding lost revenue from 3rd tier. Did you see that faculty is adamantly opposed to the move to the B12 in the statement article I linked to above? Does that count for something?

I understand Barron is one guy, but he's a pretty important guy who has quite a say in the matter.

Georgia, you and a blogger somewhere in Gainesville are about the only ones left who DON"T think this is gonna happen.

Doesn't matter to me if I end up wrong on this - but we've all been here before, and you have certainly been wrong as well, Bill. I changed your type above to make "think" stand out, because that's all you and all of us really have at this point. I enjoy the speculation, I just feel compelled to argue the other side because no one else seems to be doing it, everyone else seems to have googly eyes hoping this happens. I hope it happens too, so maybe USF can slide into their spot, but it's still a long shot and I'm not holding my breath waiting for it to happen.

Ok, I have stated the financial assessment on TBP about 4-5 times now. Not gonna bore anyone again. But the 2.9 Million number is just a joke that has already been run over by a truck. That number assumed ACC schools were getting $17MM next year, when in reality they get a $1MM increase to $12MM. The B12 goes to $20MM by all accounts. There's $8MM to start. If you want to see the rest and the sources, get off your lazy behind and go back and look at past posts.Maybe if you spent a little more time reading and less time excoriating other peoples posts, you might be a little further along.

As to the faculty. You say fan polls mean nothing, but yet the FACULTY is against a move. You buy that because Barron said it. Now that's a survey. The whole academics argument is a joke anyway, but provides nice cover for Presidents who want to look like this is all about academics. Oh and when was the last time you heard of a faculty nixing a potential conference move? Never in collegiate history, that's when.

Yeah Barron is one guy providing cover. But he ain't that important in the grand scheme of things. The BOT will decide, and they will be colored by major donors who are frustrated that FSU facilities are deteriorating despite their good work. They can't believe that FSU athletics is LOSING money.

Oh, and I have in the past been optimistic about recruits that we didn't get. My optimism was by design and consciously delivered. Nobody ever got anything without pursuing it. I've had FSU leaving the ACC for 6 months now. Looks like there is more than smoke. If I'm always wrong, why don't we put a couple of real nice game tickets for FSU on the line?. I think that would be a fitting and appropriate contest given the circumstances.

Edited by Bullwinkle

If you don't read it as him leaning towards staying in the ACC, you seem to be reading and interpreting only what you want to get from it.

Um, no. Texas A&M said in writing that they were going to stay shortly before they left for the SEC. If there was no chance FSU was leaving the ACC, his statement would be something simple like "Of course we aren't leaving" and that would be the end of it.

Long statements like this have a purpose, and that purpose is negotiation. FSU is either going to get concessions from the ACC to stay, or they are going to get money from the B12 to go to the B12. Or they will get an invite to the SEC.

If FSU was committed to the ACC, the president wouldn't make statements like I outlined above. Those statement were specifically directed to the ACC and the Big 12.

Barron is playing good cop to Haggard's bad cop. They both got to their positions by being smart and politically savvy. The Haggard "outburst" and Barron response was planned before either said a word. This is negotiation, dude.

I'm already on record as saying I might be wrong, and that I hope they do jump. I wasn't excoriating (you seem to be confused on the usage of this word) your posts, Bill, and I didn't say your were always wrong - maybe following your own advice and reading people's posts would be a good idea for you. I was merely asking for your sources about the revenue discrepancy. If you say they are in previous pages, I will certainly take a look when I can.

Data, you may be right ... You bring up some good points - and even if FSU doesn't jump, it could be happening as you say. I guess we'll see, but no one is as good as gone and nothing is a done deal.

Also, not sure the Haggard thing was planned ... That's a little too "tin foil hat" for me, seeing he was dead wrong about the 3rd tier revenue.

I'm already on record as saying I might be wrong, and that I hope they do jump. I wasn't excoriating (you seem to be confused on the usage of this word) your posts, Bill, and I didn't say your were always wrong - maybe following your own advice and reading people's posts would be a good idea for you. I was merely asking for your sources about the revenue discrepancy. If you say they are in previous pages, I will certainly take a look when I can.

Data, you may be right ... You bring up some good points - and even if FSU doesn't jump, it could be happening as you say. I guess we'll see, but no one is as good as gone and nothing is a done deal.

I know what excoriating means Georgia, and as i know from many past experiences these thing kind of happen on their own schedule and not when you nor i think they might. This thing is def. in play. And I like to sit around either 40 yard line, if that's ok with you?

Also, not sure the Haggard thing was planned ... That's a little too "tin foil hat" for me, seeing he was dead wrong about the 3rd tier revenue.

LOL, high ranking people like that rarely sneeze in public without considering the ramifications. Him being wrong about the 3rd tier revenue isn't nearly as bad as Barron making factual errors in a written statement released to the press. I find it highly unlikely those errors were made by mistake. He has people on staff to make sure any prepared statements are accurate. Barron is trying to sell the illusion that FSU has not had any conversations with the Big 12, so as to avoid litigation in the future.

The Barron statement makes me more convinced they are talking, not less.

LOL, high ranking people like that rarely sneeze in public without considering the ramifications. Him being wrong about the 3rd tier revenue isn't nearly as bad as Barron making factual errors in a written statement released to the press. I find it highly unlikely those errors were made by mistake. He has people on staff to make sure any prepared statements are accurate. Barron is trying to sell the illusion that FSU has not had any conversations with the Big 12, so as to avoid litigation in the future.

The Barron statement makes me more convinced they are talking, not less.

+1, Haven't read anything that mealy-mouthed for a while.