• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Will USF fans have the patience with Skip . . .

SRQ

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  958
  • Days Won:  0

Also when Kelly took over I don't think D'Antonio had reached #2 in country and had several national rankings and headline grabbing upsets.  I could be wrong.  I think Kelly took over an modestly successful program at best and took it to new heights.  Holtz has taken over a successful program (by most measures) and will take a while to get back to #2 and the expectations that go with it.

We sat here for years, some fans, wondering why with all the talent on the roster Leavitt couldn't get into a BCS bowl.  Now we talk as if there is no talent here.  It's really quite funny to watch.

To bring on the Leavitt situation and court case is, in court terminology, irrelevant.

First, it wasn't what you describe.  Secondly, USF could have resolved it without pulling the plunger on the program.

It's intellectually dishonest to include the Leavitt shenanigans and the Miller allegations as being at all related to the product on the field.

Skip's a big boy with support from the school and the fans.  To imply the dirty part of a mishandled administrative issue is to blame for the chaos on the field is also intellectually dishonest.

It's just football.  Hopefully we figure that out.

+ 1

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,672
  • Days Won:  424

Brian Kelly won 2 conference titles and had 3 10 win seasons in 3 years at UC.

Alright so let's hang in there for a few years.  Maybe one Big East game is too early to pull out the rug.

Brian Kelly in his first season took a 7 win team down to 4 wins as he retooled.  Skip will build the team up but this is a transition year. We won't see what the coaching staff can really do until next year. Meanwhile the Defense is even better this year than last year.  

Brian Kelly had 3 seasons at UC and went:

10-3 (4-3)

11-3 (6-1)

12-0 (7-0)

Mark Dantonio went 7-5, 4-7 and 7-5 the three years before Kelly got there.

It is intellectualy dishonest to compare the Dantonio/Kelly turnover to the Leavitt/Holtz turnover.

One scenario involves a coach succeding by all measurements

LOL ... 7-5, 4-7, 7-5, no conference championships is "succeding by all measurements"?? I assume you would agree that CJL succeeded by all measurements, too ...

and making a dignified December exit that allowed the team and the fan base to rally behid the replacement.

So dignified is leaving before their bowl game and letting his team find out about him going to MSU on ESPN ... We have different definitions of dignified. The only difference in the two scenarios is that D' Antonio didn't try to behead a player ...

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,051
  • Days Won:  469

Behead?  I thought it was castrate..?

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Brian Kelly won 2 conference titles and had 3 10 win seasons in 3 years at UC.

Alright so let's hang in there for a few years.  Maybe one Big East game is too early to pull out the rug.

Brian Kelly in his first season took a 7 win team down to 4 wins as he retooled.  Skip will build the team up but this is a transition year. We won't see what the coaching staff can really do until next year. Meanwhile the Defense is even better this year than last year.  

Brian Kelly had 3 seasons at UC and went:

10-3 (4-3)

11-3 (6-1)

12-0 (7-0)

Mark Dantonio went 7-5, 4-7 and 7-5 the three years before Kelly got there.

It is intellectualy dishonest to compare the Dantonio/Kelly turnover to the Leavitt/Holtz turnover.

One scenario involves a coach succeding by all measurements and making a dignified December exit that allowed the team and the fan base to rally behid the replacement.  The other involved allegations of player abuse, a hasty, forced banishment 2.5 weeks before LOI day, a split locker room, a split fan base and an ongoing lawsuit.  And while Dantonio immediately moved on, Leavitt hangs around in the 813 leveling allegations (through counsel) to embarrass and weaken USF athletics. . . . . all the while, Holtz sets up the new way of doing things.

In some respects, Holtz's placement in the HC position is easier to analogize to Mohammed Karzai taking over for the Taliban than it is to analogize to Kelly taking over for Dantonio.

You're comparing Leavitt to the Taliban?  Yes, my comparison of Kelly taking over for a coach who went 18-17 the three years prior is intellectually dishonest in comparison.   ::)

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,672
  • Days Won:  424

Behead?  I thought it was castrate..?

Nope .... not going there.

• Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  2

We sat here for years, some fans, wondering why with all the talent on the roster Leavitt couldn't get into a BCS bowl.  Now we talk as if there is no talent here.  It's really quite funny to watch.

This is so true.  :lol 

• Content Count:  521

Anyone still happy with the coaching change?  I know I am.

The coach's job is to prepare the team and put his players in the best position to succeed.  I can't say that Skip and the gang didn't do that so far this year.  It is up to the players to take advantage of their opportunities, but we all know that those opportunities were there FOR THE TAKING at both the UF and Syracuse games.  BJ's missed passes were examples of those.  You can't blame coach Holtz for that game.

• Content Count:  554

Anyone still happy with the coaching change?  I know I am.

The coach's job is to prepare the team and put his players in the best position to succeed.  I can't say that Skip and the gang didn't do that so far this year.  It is up to the players to take advantage of their opportunities, but we all know that those opportunities were there FOR THE TAKING at both the UF and Syracuse games.  bj daniels missed passes were examples of those.  You can't blame coach Holtz for that game.

1223197288119.jpg

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Content Count:  7,000
  • Days Won:  12

Re: Will USF fans have the patience with Skip . . .

i will. hope everyone's with me... because by the time holtz leaves, when we have gone further than ever as a football program, this Syracuse loss will be forgotten

Archived